Deciding on a New Scroll Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding on a New Scroll Saw

I am new to scroll sawing and am in the market for a new saw. When I started looking for a saw, I was thinking I would need to spend somewhere in the $200 to $250 range . . . the more I've looked and studied, the more I've come to prefer something with a little more quality, versatility, durability, and ease of use. I've spent about a month reading reviews, studying you-tube videos, going to stores, etc. The more I look, the higher my budget goes . . . ;o)

My current budget is about $800-$900 (my wife says I need to stop looking . . . ;o).

I am currently considering one of the following options:

Pegas 21
    Excaliber EX 21
    King Industrial 21
    Jet 22

Despite a few minor differences, the top 3 seem to be pretty much the same. Does anyone have experience, preference, or advice on either of these that they would be willing to share, particularly considering this will be my first saw and don't know what I don't know?

My personal preference from the ones you have listed is the Pegas. The main reason It has the best clamps of the bunch. Most folks that have the other 3 have been converting their saws to the Pegas clamps.
    Sandy Oaks (aka Denny) on this forum is a distributor.
    Last edited by Rolf; 02-04-2020, 03:52 PM.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

also take a look at the Seyco 21" larger table.
      The other John A. Nelson
      johnsworkshop.com
      sigpic
      I just follow the lines and make sawdust
      on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

Well, I purchased the Pegas 21 from Denny (aka Sandy Oaks). After it arrived last Friday I not only got great support from Denny but great advice. I've only used it for a couple of days but I love it. It is such an improvement over my Delta saw. I am getting things done in what feels like half the time it used to take.

Dan

Comment

Full Disclaimer--I'm the national sales manager for Pegas Woodworking products, so you know I'm going to suggest the Pegas. Our saw comes with the Pegas Blade Chuck Heads, a beefed up chassis, and technical support from me.

That said, here are some things to be aware of with the other saws you mentioned.

Excalibur: Excalibur used to be my favorite saw. But, General International, who owns Excalibur, was purchased by a Chinese equity company, and since they don't own the tooling rights for the EX saw, they took an EX saw to China and reverse-engineered it--Poorly. The saws you see labeled "Made in China" are a poor imitation of the original Excalibur. All of the other saws listed (Pegas, King Industrial, Jet, and Seyco) are all made in the plant in Taiwan where Excalibur used to be made, so any of them meet or exceed the quality of the old Excalibur.

King Industrial is nearly identical to the old Excalibur.

Jet: I can't stand the top blade clamping/tensioning system. I'm sure if you got used to it, it would be fine, but I'm also concerned about the additional weight of this monstrosity--it's really heavy--and how that will affect the saw mechanism. I also don't like the slotted table.

Seyco: Seyco is a solid saw, and Ray's support is legendary. I know there's a lot of talk about how the rack and pinion head tilt mechanism on all of the saws except the Seyco can cause issues, but I've never seen it happen. I find the Seyco difficult to adjust, especially since the digital angle gauge takes a few seconds (feels like an eternity) to register when you're trying to set the angle. And if you're looking for a larger table, we've got an aftermarket one for the Pegas that's the same size as the Seyco with our baked-on epoxy coating (and no magnet cover).

Really, whichever you choose is a quality saw. You just need to look at the features of each saw and decided based on that.

Best Regards
          Bob Duncan
          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I have a jet, very nice saw, but my next saw will be a pegas, contact Denny and he will call you back and answer all your questions very knowledgeable with the pegas saw, RJ
            Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by BobD View Post
              Full Disclaimer--I'm the national sales manager for Pegas Woodworking products, so you know I'm going to suggest the Pegas. Our saw comes with the Pegas Blade Chuck Heads, a beefed up chassis, and technical support from me.

That said, here are some things to be aware of with the other saws you mentioned.

Excalibur: Excalibur used to be my favorite saw. But, General International, who owns Excalibur, was purchased by a Chinese equity company, and since they don't own the tooling rights for the EX saw, they took an EX saw to China and reverse-engineered it--Poorly. The saws you see labeled "Made in China" are a poor imitation of the original Excalibur. All of the other saws listed (Pegas, King Industrial, Jet, and Seyco) are all made in the plant in Taiwan where Excalibur used to be made, so any of them meet or exceed the quality of the old Excalibur.

King Industrial is nearly identical to the old Excalibur.

Jet: I can't stand the top blade clamping/tensioning system. I'm sure if you got used to it, it would be fine, but I'm also concerned about the additional weight of this monstrosity--it's really heavy--and how that will affect the saw mechanism. I also don't like the slotted table.

Seyco: Seyco is a solid saw, and Ray's support is legendary. I know there's a lot of talk about how the rack and pinion head tilt mechanism on all of the saws except the Seyco can cause issues, but I've never seen it happen. I find the Seyco difficult to adjust, especially since the digital angle gauge takes a few seconds (feels like an eternity) to register when you're trying to set the angle. And if you're looking for a larger table, we've got an aftermarket one for the Pegas that's the same size as the Seyco with our baked-on epoxy coating (and no magnet cover).

Really, whichever you choose is a quality saw. You just need to look at the features of each saw and decided based on that.

Best Regards
              Bob Duncan
              Bob, I've been throwing the idea around of buying a Pegas.. I currently have one of those China disasters called Excalibur.. I bought it before I learned they moved to China.. nothing but issues with it.. Anyway long story..

My question is.. and I'm assuming it is but thought I'd ask.. Will the Pegas platform be the same as the Excalibur? I have a stand ( non-China made) for the older style EX 21.. and my China made fits on it.. But if I buy a Pegas I'd keep my existing stand to save a few $$..

Thank you in advance for answering this question.. I've also seen this question asked on other message boards.. and I could forward that info to those that question the same.. once I know..
              Kevin
              www.KevsKrafts.com

Comment

This question came up in the Village Forum with no definitive answer, so I would like to know too.
                Denny
                ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Originally posted by BobD View Post

....beefed up chassis....baked-on epoxy coating . . .

Best Regards
                  Bob Duncan
                  Hey as a lover of tool advances, you said a few things I'm really curious about. You mention a beefed up chassis, can you tell us a bit about what was changed in that regard? I had assumed the Pegas was just a rebranded original EX except for the paint and clamps, and table coating.

So, about that default Pegas coating. The original EX tables had that notorious coating that quicky became unsightly as it quicky wore off. How does the Pegas coating perform. When/Where will this new third party table become available.

And lastly, how are we doing on the search for a better dust collection mechanism. Does the new third party table have those dust collection holes? For me personally, I would rather zero holes than the existing system.

Any rumors about Pegas releasing a smaller/bigger saw?

One note about Seyco, when I saw one on demo in Atlanta, I absolutely did not like the lack of the rack/pinion for the table tilt, and that crazy hole in the back.

Thanks,
                  Let me know if you have a scratch and dent Scroll Band saw you can give me a deal on . . . . . LOL

-----Randy
                  Last edited by hotshot; 02-05-2020, 09:44 PM.
                  "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

The Hegner does not have a rack and pinion system, which I learned to work around by holding the table in place firmly until the knob "grabbed". I could always set it accurately, but it took time and patience. I prefer the greater control of the rack and pinion system, which has never been problematic on the Jet, and was surprised that the Seyco does not have one. I guess if your cuts are mostly straight it's not an issue, and if you need to tilt the table, I'm sure you can set it accurately, but still, why the change?

It has not yet come up in this thread, but the Seyco arm tilts only to 30˚ in either direction. You have to go into the specs to find this fact--it is not posted with the other features. I don't know of any other scroll saw, including inexpensive ones, that does not tilt to a full 45˚ in at least one direction.

Since folks often prefer the tilting arm for making bowls, that limitation is a serious one since cuts at greater than 30˚ are often called for. (The Hegner has a 45˚ tilt to the left, and a 10˚ tilt to the right, but that's not a problem if you understand the relationship between table tilt and cutting direction.)
                    Last edited by handibunny; 02-06-2020, 06:34 AM.
                    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Kevin,
                      The Pegas saw will fit on the EX stands. We haven't changed the configuration/position of the feet. Your foot switch will also work (as long as it's not a variable speed switch).

Randy,
                      The changes to the chassis are mostly tightening up the tolerances in the cast parts around the drive and cam shaft. We took the Excalibur saw back to an engineering school in Switzerland near our blade factory and asked them what they'd change about the saw. They designed the blade chuck heads, and warned us that some of the tolerances around the bearings in the cam shaft/drive shaft area were larger than they'd recommend. The tighter tolerances reduce wear and vibration.

We've got the new tables on order. They do not have the dust collection holes. Right now, the holes are drilled for the 21" saws (EX, King, Pegas, Axminster, etc.), and unfortunately, they won't fit on the Jet saws (the hole patterns don't align). I've been using my saw for over a year, including demos at shows, and I've seen some surface scuffing (where I didn't sand down a brad used for stack cutting far enough), but nothing has penetrated through the coating. When the saws first came out, I had an issue where some table bolts loosened up during transit, and you can see inside the countersunk holes where the coating cracked (under the bolts) when the bolts were tightened. The coating is at least 1mm thick, and it's a hard, durable coating.

I'm working to get permission to sell the other size saws in the U.S. The factory controls who can sell what saws where, so it's a matter of showing how popular the 21" saw is (we're also working to get the rights to sell the Pegas saw in Canada).

Carole,
                      My issue with the Seyco (aside from the limited table tilt) is that there is no angle guide except the digital angle guide. So, tilting to a specific is a drawn-out process unless you start with a protractor/manual angle guide. Tap, wait, tap, wait, tap the other direction, wait...

Bob
                      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Interesting discussion!
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

For BobD -- Please provide more info on the after market table - size - will it fit other saws than Pegas (My Ex-21) - thickness - blade hole, etc. I know you were surveying for interest, a while back.
                          Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Thanks for all the information Bob.. I guess it's time for me to place an order soon then, LOL
                            Any idea of the price that'll be on the larger table?
                            Kevin
                            www.KevsKrafts.com

Comment

Bob, I never imagined that the Seyco had only the DRO and nothing at all on the saw. I use my DRO as a double check, and also rely on my engineer’s square, angle gauges, and indicators on the saw before I commit if I need dead-on accuracy.
                              Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X