Which end is up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which end is up?

I'm brand new to scroll sawing and whenever I try to do anything I have problems with the wood bouncing around. I'm applying pressure, but it still happens. I read that I could have the blade upside down. If it's a reverse tooth blade, how do you know which is the top end of the blade?

That is always a problem with reverse tooth blades. Rub your finger alone the blade teeth. One way will have more "drag'. The more "drag end up. I like Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse blades. There is a little ripple on the end to go up.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Not sure about what size blade you are using or how good your eye sight. Though I well into my 60's and have only fair eye sight I can hold my blades to the light and see the teeth on most blades. Scroll saw blades point down. On a tradition reverse tooth blade you will find 5-6 teeth pointing in a different direction. That is the bottom.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

My hegner has a blade holder holder on the side showing direction on teeth to be inserted into the holder. I still put them in upside down sometimes. Scott’s way is the easiest. The long side of the blade is the down cut. The shortest side is the up cut.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

On Olson and other brand blades you can see the gap between the teeth. feet is the easiest but laying the blade on a piece of white paper makes it easier to see. The flying dutchman blade direction is not easy to see or feel, but like Sandy said the top is marked.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I use a cheap, hand-held magnifier if I'm not at sure which end is up. Works every time!
            Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I did indeed have the blade in upside down. I was using some Bosch blades that I picked up from Lowes.
              On Friday I got some Olsen blades in the mail. I hadn't ever seen any blades this thin. It was a bit of a struggle seeing the teeth, but I was able to feel the top and bottom of the blade with my finger. As soon as I used the Olsen reverse tooth blade, I put the Bosch blade back in the package. I'm taking them back to Lowes!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X