Cutting a piece out that needs drilling first

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting a piece out that needs drilling first

For example, I am cutting some stars out of a long piece of 1x6" wood for a decorative wall panel. I'm having difficulty threading and straightening the blade for scrolling these particular pieces - my blade gets all bent out of shape and it's hard to tighten the blade properly - do you have any recommendations?

Does your saw top load or bottom load? If the upper arm does not lift out of the way far enough you may need to undo both ends of the blade to get it in without putting a kink in it.
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeasleyTurnings
    Stabilized blanks and more

Comment

The most common reason for the ends of blades bending is not having your blades properly aligned in the blade holder. Make sure the back of the blade is hitting the back side of the holder. You might need to adjust it top and bottom to make it straight.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

What saw and how long is the piece?
        Rolf
        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
          What saw and how long is the piece?
          I cut things out of long shutters that are made out of 1x6 framing lumber, sometimes they are 60" long. The top arm does not move out of the way. It's an old Delta machine. I just thought of something, but will have to try it out - threading the blade into a hole in the star first, then trying to install the blade? Do you think that will work better? Because I've had the blade attached to the bottom of the machine first, then thread it into the star, and of course the blade bends like crazy....

Comment

If I'm understanding your issue right you are threading from below through a fairly large and thick piece of material and having trouble getting the blade through the hole without bending it.

If this is it the easy things that you might try are to drill a larger hole and/or use a smaller blade..

But you might also want to try:

- taking an awl to the entrance holes on the bottom side of the piece and reaming yourself out a little larger and smoother entrance for the blade.

- keeping a pair of needle nose pliers handy to straighten your blade out when it becomes bent.

- working from underneath to feed your blade through a large piece can get to be a real pain - I used to also make sure I had lots of light underneath to help me find the hole in the first place.

- it is also helpful to keep the workpiece guide hole square as possible with the blade while you are threading it - it's really easy to push the piece to the side and bend or even break the blade.

- finally - once your blade gets more than a subtle bend in it and can't be easily straightened then it is toast - time to get a new blade.

Really hope this is of some help.

Jay

Comment

I finally got a pic of the piece, it's 36" long, and am wanting to do different kinds of long pieces - I'll try some of the suggestions, thank you
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Maisie View Post
                I finally got a pic of the piece, it's 36" long, and am wanting to do different kinds of long pieces - I'll try some of the suggestions, thank you
                That is a really nice looking piece of work - if it is similar to what you will be doing into the future then simply drilling a larger hole in your cutouts should solve your problems. Also - if you haven't already done this then fabricating some supports level with the saw table on either side might make it easier for you to manipulate those longer pieces.

Jay

Comment

When I have big pieces to cut I drill the holes, then take a pencil or marker and mark the drilled holes so I cna see them. I am 100% bottom feeder, tried top feed and it did not go easy. I did bent a few blades trying to bottom feed on a big piece trying to find the drill hole so I started marking them to see them better.

Comment

I read somewhere a light underneath helps a good bit, especially when top feeding.
                    https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeasleyTurnings
                    Stabilized blanks and more

Comment

That is a nice piece of wall art.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• leehljp
                        Ladder Legs
                        leehljp
                        I subscribe to a daily email from "homemade tools" and a few are hilarious, and some are ingenious. Here is an amusing one:
                        http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...-18#post115897

Enjoy.
                        Today, 07:06 PM
                      • Scrappile
                        Reply to Elk Meadow
                        Scrappile
                        Well done. Elk, are one of the most beautiful animals in North America as far as I am concerned.
                        Today, 01:04 PM
                      • Sandy Oaks
                        Reply to Pricing
                        Sandy Oaks
                        Lee, we have a pen turner displayed at ArtCrafters. Many of the pens are $25 and we sell maybe 4 - 5 each month. I am sure at a place like Knoxville he could more than double the price....
                        Today, 09:34 AM
                      • Rolf
                        Reply to 1st cabinet UP!!!!
                        Rolf
                        We could not do that in our kitchen the ceiling and walls are way too crooked. So to fool the eye some of our cabinets go all of the way up with trim molding the others are lower also with crown molding. There is no continuous line to catch the eye.
                        Today, 08:34 AM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to 1st cabinet UP!!!!
                        will8989
                        WHAT? We’re taking them down? Bruce decided he should have put them flush with the ceiling so we’re taking them down and raising them 1/2”!!! Do you know how heavy these are? He decided he wanted as narrow as possible, or no, molding at the top at all. And yes, Scott they have stuff in them.😲😲...
                        Today, 08:26 AM
                      Working...
                      X