Cleaning Table

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Table

what is recommended to clean my scroll saw table that shows some oxidation??

Sand the rust with sandpaper and clean the table. To protect, wax the top with a paste wax.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

I use a brass brush in my drill to work the table and then HEAVILY wax after.
      Jim
      When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
      Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I bought one of the wire wheels for angle grinders at Lowes just for the purpose of removing rust off of some of my stationary tools and tables.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-3-in...-Arbor/1100897

It works great. I was a little worried if it would do any damage to the tables or posts (drill press) but it has not and it lets me see the machining marks, so it has not been too abrasive for damaging the tables/posts, but very effective for cleaning the rust off. Of course, after cleaning, I use a paste wax. I bought it before reading the reviews on Lowes. Some people had problems with the wires flying out, but I haven't. If I had read the reviews, I probably would not have bought it. More than likely I would have purchased an HF wire wheel. But, the one that I got at Lowes works fine for me.

Harbor Freight has a $14.99 and a $19.99 light duty angle grinder that can be had with a 20% coupon for even cheaper. Then add a wire wheel and keep it around for other cleaning. I use DeWalt angle grinder (with wire wheel) on my saws, lathes, drill presses, and other steel tools about once a year and even more often for other rusty items such as lawn and garden tools and bolts. Very handy.
        Last edited by leehljp; 02-14-2018, 01:28 PM.
        Hank Lee
        Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

If it is just staining the table top, then I just use a little 00 steel wool and some mineral oil. My old Dewalt table used turn a little brown after awhile. If the steel wool and mineral oil didn't take it all off, I'd use some 00 steel wool and a scouring powder call Bartenders Friend.

I never had to use sanders or wire brushes. After the cleaning, a couple of applications of Johnson's Floor Wax, and the table was slick as a whistle.
          Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

I used the steel wool as well with pretty good results. I actually would apply my paste wax with the steel wool. Work it all in and then buff it off when it dried.

I learned this as a kid when a friend showed me the best way to clean, polish and remove rust from my Chrome Wheels on my first COOL car.
            A guy can't be seen running around town with rusty wheels. LOL!
            Tracy

Nicholasville, KY
            ​Excalibur 21"
            www.sawdustgallery.com

Comment

Some great information thanks to all for your comments

Comment

I use sandpaper like a 250 grit and just sand it useing light pressure, wipe off the dust, use a cleaner on a rag wipe it off, then apply paste wax, don't use car wax it has silicone in it and will play havoc with finishes on the wood.

Comment

My old DeWalt saw has been ignored for about a year. Last night I went out and dusted it off only to find big rusty spots. Apparently something had been piled on top of the table and left to ferment or something. I used 180 grit sandpaper on my random orbit sander and cleaned it up. The stain is still in the table but it is smooth. I then used my trusty Johnson's Paste Wax and decided the advice for preserving cast iron tables applied here also. When finished sawing I vacuumed off the saw and put a coat of Johnson's paste wax on the table and let it dry. When ready to saw again a little wax will soften the dry wax protecting the table and she'll be ready to go.

Comment

How do you get the stains out of the table?

Comment

Originally posted by Robertgodwin453@gmail.com View Post
                      How do you get the stains out of the table?
                      I kinda depends on the cause of the stain and how deep it goes. For light surface stains try pouring a small puddle of mineral spirits on it. Wait a couple minutes. The apply paste wax with some 0000 steel wool. Rub in a circular motion and then wipe dry with paper towels. You might have to do the entire process a couple times.
                      Scott
                      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Thanks NC Scroller

Comment

Cast iron is very porous so deep stains may not ever come out.
                          Rolf
                          RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks. Rolf

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                              Cast iron is very porous so deep stains may not ever come out.
                              The table on my DW788 although cast aluminum I believe, is stained, probably forever, but is slick as glass. I avoid further rust by applying a goodly amount of Johnson's Paste Wax and leaving it to dry. When I come back to make more sawdust I apply a little more and polish her up. Stained but slippery,

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X