introduction to scrollsawing.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• introduction to scrollsawing.

.AT what age would be good ti introduce a child into scroll sawing and use one

My oldest son started at our last open house a few years ago; I think he was 10. Then, last year, I taught our Odyssey of the Mind team to use a scroll saw, and my wife taught her team (3-5 graders) to use it as well.

Best Regards,
    Bob Duncan
    Technical Editor, Woodworking/DIY
    www.WoodCarvingIllustrated.com
    www.FoxChapelPublishing.com
    www.ScrollSawer.com

Comment

I feel it depends on the child an how they behave around tools. My youngest grand son was five when could successfully use a hand saw. Since he lives three hours away I have not had the opportunity to my share scrollsaw interests with him. unfortunately he is now17 and has developed other interests.
      cwmagee
      aka Fibber
      Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

I agree with Fibber as it depends on the child. When they show a real interest, it's time to feed that interest.
        ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

I've worked with a few kids. It totally depends on that child's listening skills and ability to stay focused. If they aren't ready to do those two things then it won't be a safe or enjoyable thing for them....or YOU.
          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Like others have said, it's pretty much kid dependent. My oldest grandson is 8. I want to let him try. I think he has the manual dexterity and physical ability, but he has a short attention span and is very fidgety, so I doubt he would really take to it yet. His sister is 10. She has the patience and the aptitude, but not the desire.
            Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I started my great-grandson at age eight on the practice patterns. Since then he has cut out a few simple things, but he isn't around enough to get him into real cutting yet. His sister is chomping at the bit and she turns eight this year. I have been reminded of that e few times now
              Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

Elliott sits on my lap and puts his hands on top of mine when he wants to “saw with Mimi.” We do it quite frequently. He will be 5in July.
                Attached Files
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

That's how I started out my grandson. Then we switched to my hands on top of his at around 6. At 7 he lost interest for awhile. But at 10 he declared there were a couple Christmas items he wanted to make for the State Fair (his age bracket), and they could be gifts for his mom. He wanted the guards installed on the saw, and off he went. I was nervous, but he did great. They grow up soooo fast!
                  Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Start them young of course at a safe age they know and understand the dangers and learn the safety of tools is better. When I was growing up I was always in the way of my dad when it was either building, repairing, working on something learning, asking questions watching what he did. In the end I picked up wanted to learn how to things my self, I went to school for auto repair can work on my own vehicles, know how to basicly frame something know about angles, nails screws, doing house repairs, plumbing, light eletrical change fixtures, light switches and such. Has saveme alot of money knowing these skills, what I didn't know google and youtube filled in the rest. Most what I know is self tought, mower repair, welding and such. I even wanted to take shop class, hoping to make a career out of shop stuff, either metal, wood even went to auto repair trying to make a career out of it but it never played out.

Start them young if they show interest even if to watch they still may be learning you just don't know it.

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                      Elliott sits on my lap and puts his hands on top of mine when he wants to “saw with Mimi.” We do it quite frequently. He will be 5in July.
                      Cute picture! You know I was taught welding, as an adult, and the instructor had me do the same thing. He had me put my hand on top of his as "we" welded. This gave me "the feel" needed to learn quickly. You have a good thing going there!

I envy you and Elliot.
                      Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,15" Jet
                      No PHD, but I have my GED and my DD 214""

Comment

He came upstairs yesterday and said “PopPop said I could vacuum the floor. I need those things for my ears and my glasses.” He loves to help Bruce clean up but he also knows he needs the earphones and glasses. Just wish the other 4 lived closer.
                        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Nice picture change.
                          ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

Thanks. That's my four Texas babies from when we were there in September. The youngest marches to her own drummer. She never had a pair of socks on that matched the entire time we were there! The one in the orange shirt is 13 months younger than his sister next to him. He's going to be tall like the Mitchell family. My daughter is 6'1.
                            Last edited by will8989; 02-19-2018, 11:47 AM.
                            Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sandy Oaks
                              Reply to One For My Quiting Wife
                              Sandy Oaks
                              When people come into ArtCrafters and ask about a scroll saw, I say it is similar to a sewing machine except with small blades.
                              Today, 03:22 PM
                            • leehljp
                              Reply to Interesting Hegner Patent
                              leehljp
                              Me - also! I drove from Memphis to Dallas yesterday in heavy rain all the way. Could not use the cruise control. My leg was in a knot.

Having said that, I can sit still at the scroll saw for about an 30 minutes at the most before I have to move around; On the lathe, I can also stand in...
                              Today, 11:51 AM
                            • tgiro01
                              Reply to Super Max 19-38 real test.
                              tgiro01
                              I've lured a husky neighbor with the promise of a turned pen. Now we are just waiting for the d()*& rain to stop so we can get the minivan around to the back steps into the basement, and get it down stairs. All my neighbors know that, when they help me - they walk away with a priceless work of art...
                              Today, 10:47 AM
                            • Rolf
                              Reply to Super Max 19-38 real test.
                              Rolf
                              Scrappile I like that engine hoist. When we moved into this house back in 96 One of the first things I did was put a loft in the garage and provided a place to hang a chain hoist for working on my car. The roll around hoist has some advantages over my setup.
                              Today, 10:30 AM
                            • Rolf
                              Reply to Interesting Hegner Patent
                              Rolf
                              I have two variable speed controllers one is on my Digital embroidery machine(inherited from my Mom) and I also have a Rampower carver with the electronic foot pedal. The variable speed on both of those gives much more control. especially on the power carver....
                              Today, 10:22 AM
                            Working...
                            X