Blade coming loose too often

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade coming loose too often

I have a five year old DW 788. My issue is that the blades are coming loose too often, sometimes at the top, sometimes at the bottom. The threads on the thumbscrews look good (not crushed). Should I rough up the contact points? I usually tighten the blade so it's at a "3" or "3 1/2" on the dial. Appreciate any ideas. Thanks. -John S.

Yes, rough the ends of the blade clamp screw a bit. Shouldn't take much, just a scuff with some sandpaper. They must remain flat so that you get contact across the full face of the Also, do you clean the ends of your blades before inserting them into the clamps? If not, that will also help a lot. Make sure the tip of the clamp screw will rotate. It's an insert that fits into the end of the thumb screw and it should rotate so that when you tighten the clamp screw, it doesn't twist the blade out of the clamp.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Also, the blade holders (the aluminum part) maybe out of square from over tightening. A simple replacement.
      Denny
      ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

The blades sometimes have a thin layer of oil. This may cause the blade to slip out of the clamp. Sanding the end of the blade should help with this, but you may also have to clean off the blade clamp and thumb screw.
        www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

If you've taken the set screws out of the clamps, make sure to reapply some blue loctite to the threads before putting them back in.

Comment

I have a marble tile that I put a sheet of sandpaper on and then run my clamps across the paper from time to time. The marble is very flat and it helps me make sure to keep the clamps plumb.
            Jim
            When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
            Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Something Ray taught me --

Take a 2 X 3 inch long piece of 3/4 inch thick pine. Use a 7/32nd drill and drill two holes about an inch apart. Screw the set screw into on hole and the thumbscrew into the other hole until the clamping surfaces are just flush with one face of the wood. Place a 220 grit piece of sandpaper flat on a table or bench - lay the face of the wood with the clamping surfaces on the sandpaper and run the piece of wood back and forth on the paper. As the paper sands the wood, it, also, cleans the clamping surfaces. Once the clamping surfaces have any nicks or shiny spots sanded off, remove the screws and replace them back in the clamp. A touch of blue Loktite holds them securely.
              Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

I find that the fingernail sanding sticks like my wife uses work great to clean the ends of the blades off. Each one lasts a long time and they are not expensive. I sand all four sides of the ends until the blade is shiny.

They can also be used in light sanding in thin long openings.

Comment

I always sand the both sides of both ends of any new blade I use. They come thru with oil on them and it will collect on the screws so they need to be cleaned some times too. Sanding the blades will elliminate the problem for sure.
                  John T.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X