replacement or upgrade?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacement or upgrade?

OK so my wen finally took a dive on me after many years - definitely got my money's worth. The question is should I replace (think I can find it for ~ $80) or should I make an upgrade to something else higher quality like a delta 40695 which seems to get good reviews here, or if anyone else has other suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. I am definitely more comfortable with making turns and such and have the feeling I should invest a little more this time around. There seem to be some good deals going on for the holidays so there probably wont be a better time than now. Thanks for the help in advanced.

Welcome to the forum. Give us a better idea what kind of scroll saw work you do so we might better guide you.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

If you can afford the delta, I would suggest paying a little more and getting the Dewalt, or getting a used Dewalt off of Craigslist. If you need to stay < 100, then I would suggest getting on Craigslist and finding a Porter Cable (either model), or a Rexon styled saw. Rexon saws are re-branded by many different companies, but the model you want will look like the one pictured below and may be branded with Hitachi, Tradesman, Porter Cable, Craftsman, and etc.

That said, I don't really recommend any saw less than the Dewalt, but these Rexon styled saws are the lesser of evils if you can not afford the better brands, and are often seen on Craigslist. So, the bottom line, these are not in same league as the Dewalt, but are many factors better than what you have been using, and you should be able to get parts for these for a while. Old delta saws are plentiful and cheap, but parts would be an issue.

------Randy
      Last edited by hotshot; 12-14-2016, 06:47 PM.
      "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

I have a excalibur saw and love it alot better over teh craftsman I had, but can't get excalibur now they stopped production adn sold out to king canada under a different name, there is now the jet saw thats alot like the excalibur. Watch the older dewalt type2's they had early quality issues, if you can luck out and find a dewalt type 1 for a good deal grab it, the dewalt will cut more aggressive, the excaliburs don't but can be adjusted to cut aggressive, not sure if the jet is that way like the excalibur is, there is hawk, hegners quite a few to choose from.

Comment

Hotshot really covered it well. I have the DeWalt now, but have owned the Hitachi and had a lot of good times with it.
          Jim
          When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
          Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Definitely do an upgrade, you will be amazed at how much more enjoyable scrolling can be. I did my upgrade in two stages from a very frustrating old Craftsman (blade changes) to a Delta SS350(great saw aggressive blade motion) to my final step in 2005 Hawk G4-26. Does everything a scroll saw should do.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Well, I've done everything from making my own jigsaws to corbels for my bar. I'm not an expert by any means but I would probably be confident in saying I've risen above the beginner level. I've now got my eyes on the dewalt I can find it for around the same price as the delta. I have read good things about the rexon-type saws but am a little worried I would outgrow it relatively quickly and don't want to sell myself short. I will most likely be taking the plunge later today. thanks for all the responses I will definitely post an update once it arrives.

Comment

I would go for the DeWalt. I have had mine for about ten years, added an Excalibur, but still use the DeWalt.
                Denny
                ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Comment

So what did you end up with? "Buy the best you can afford" - Bruce Mitchell.
                  Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I ended up going for the DeWalt and am very happy. Definitely a noticeable improvement from what I was working with previously.

Comment

Yea, you just took a quantum leap in scrolling enjoyment by upgrading to the Dewalt. The Dewalt may have it's flaws, but I think it is a very user friendly saw and a good value for the serious hobbiest.
                      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to The hits just keep coming
                        Linda In Phoenix
                        Lotsa prayers, and optimistic good vibes to you all.
                        Today, 12:59 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to Fair win
                        Linda In Phoenix
                        Wow. Well deserved ribbons for sure. Our fair started doing some new rules about 2 years ago. Entries into "Home Arts" can be just about any design. Entries into "Fine Arts" have to be original designs. I know a couple of scrollers who used to compete in Fine Arts, especially...
                        Today, 12:58 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to Do you wear eye prodection at the scroll saw?
                        Linda In Phoenix
                        I'm guilty of not wearing eye protection while scrolling---other than the magnifying glass. But, I do wear wrap around safety glasses when I'm sanding, routing, etc. At the recommendation of my eye doc a few years ago, I did add one safety/health step though. He recommended that a couple times...
                        Today, 12:52 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to Controversial yet fun Xmas Santa
                        Linda In Phoenix
                        It is totally heartwarming to see that there is humor left in this world, and not everything has to fit some politically correct mold that attempts to please the twisted pantie nimrods. Scrollers seem to be some of the most well rounded and easy going group of folks there are. Even when we have...
                        Today, 12:45 AM
                      • Scrappile
                        Reply to Do you wear eye prodection at the scroll saw?
                        Scrappile
                        I'd be far more concerned about lung protection, but I like some, use a magnifier lamp and wear glasses (not safety). i have broken many blades never had anything "fly" anywhere, well except my lower blade holder. I have glaucoma and cataracts (although not bad enough for surgery yet). ...
                        Yesterday, 09:30 PM
                      Working...
                      X