No announcement yet.

Spiral Blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks I guess I could give the straight blades a try again. Thanks glad to be here!

Comment

I agree with Betty. Different blades for different projects/purposes. Puzzles and Intarsia won't work with a spiral blade. for both you need a vert think kerf and you need smooth accurate cuts.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Just some specs on blades. The Flying Dutchman (FD) smallest diameter spirals is.030 "
        The FD puzzle blades the smallest is .009" and the next size up is .013". If you are cutting kids puzzles it is not so critical but if you are cutting regular thinner puzzles the smaller blades make a huge difference. But they all require practice.
        Intarsia really requires precise cutting, not that other projects don't. I would never use a spirals for it. For the type of work that Charles does spirals are great and at times the rougher cut actually adds to the detail. JMO
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I've tried Spiral Blades a few time and never could get the hang of it. I use straight blades for all my intricate work.
          Brian in the Four Corners

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. Cut two puzzles with a straight blade, worked out okay. Just takes practice. Still prefer the spiral.

Comment

I did some scroll sawing successfully with a cheap Sears pin scroll saw back in the early '90s and enjoyed it because I didn't know any better! (I was living in Japan at the time and there was no internet to have access to people who knew.) So, I used what I had. Then LOML bought me a DeWalt scroll saw for my birthday about 3 years ago. It took me about 6 months to get it set up. (My shop is still overfull of tools from the USA and from Japan.

So with my new DeWalt, my first cut was with 3/4 inch bloodwood, very dense. I tried several blades and the spiral was the easiest for most of what I was doing. However, I have learned to use different blades for different cuts and densities and grains.

I grew up playing baseball from as far back as I can remember and was pretty good hitter in high school. I did not pick up a golf club until I had graduated from HS. The first time I went golfing, I used my baseball grip and outdrove everyone that I played with. I didn't know any better. But it worked. Later, it helped as I practiced the correct grip. And I learned to control my drives better with the different "golf" grip. SAME with the correct blades. One might be more comfortable with one, but learning the benefits of the others - that become a great set of "tools" to choose from.
              Last edited by leehljp; 09-21-2018, 01:23 PM.
              Hank Lee
              Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

Thank you for that Hank, I will persevere!!! I'm not a quitter, I'm smarter then a straight blade LOL.

Comment

old Thread, I know. but since i have no experience cutting things, i can' bring myself to remove the spiral blade that came on my saw, i love the way it cuts.

Comment

I found that cutting straight lines with a spiral is easier if you employ a trick. Cut the straight line backwards, pull the piece towards you rather than push it into the blade
                    Jim
                    Texas - The Republic
                    With the exception of hand guns and Tequila, computers have caused more problems than anything else

Comment

I’ve cut down on my son’s firewood by not using spiral blades. I just can’t seem to get the hang of them. I may try cutting the straight line backwards. May being the operative word.
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Spiral blades have a purpose and are the best blades for certain type of work like pictures and portraits. It is great that you can use them as many people cannot. But they are not for everything like toys, puzzles, segmentation, intarsia, boxes/bowls, compound cutting etc. You should learn to use both spiral and flat because it you do there is nothing that you won't be able to make.
                        Scott
                        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I like Scott's comment. I only use Spirals for portraits and if there are straight lines I switch to flat blades. Yesterday I cut some Miniature Birdhouse Ornaments and used Pegas #7 Super Skip blades. Spirals would never work for compound cutting. Blades depend on the project, wood and wood thickness.
                          Denny
                          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
                            Reply to They’re back!
                            by meflick
                            We will have an air show again this year in Knoxville Sept. 10-11 and the Blue Angels are suppose to be here performing, They were here a few years back. We live close to the airport so they flew over are home practicing the few days before the show, and then the show it’s self. Quite a sight for...
                            05-26-2022, 05:17 PM
                          • Sandy Oaks
                            Reply to They’re back!
                            by Sandy Oaks
                            Oh what a treat. Years ago we went to Air Shows in Oshkosh, WI. Greatest memory was the Concorde.
                            05-26-2022, 11:04 AM
                          • Rolf
                            Reply to They’re back!
                            by Rolf
                            WOW. I love the air shows....
                            05-26-2022, 09:33 AM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to They’re back!
                            by will8989
                            Not quite. The idiots in Maryland are keeping the kids in school until June 21. A lot of schools don’t have a/c so they will send them home early. The blue angels are here every year for graduation. In September there is something at the inner harbor and the Blue Angels, Thunderbirds and another group...
                            05-26-2022, 12:52 AM
                          • Jim McDonald
                            Reply to They’re back!
                            by Jim McDonald
                            That's called end of the year serendipity!!
                            05-25-2022, 04:11 PM
                          Working...
                          X