Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood chatter

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wood chatter

    me again,
    on practising my V cutting using both MDF and ply i sometimes get violent and uncontrolable wood slamming, am i doing something wrong, and how do i cure it..
    http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

  • #2
    It could be that you are turning the wood too fast and the blade has not had a chance to catch up.
    The blade is deeper than it is wide so if you turn too sharp the balde may catch.
    The blade may have a slight bow on it due to deflection when you are pushing the wood. If you give the blade a rest by easing up just before you turn, the blade can catch up and the chatter will not be as bad.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

    Comment


    • #3
      One thing that helps is to use plain skiptooth blades, not reverse. Of course, make sure the blade isn't in upside down.

      The only other thing I can think of is, it could be that you are using female wood. There is no way to completely stop females from chattering.
      Mike

      Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
      www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Minnesota scroller

        The only other thing I can think of is, it could be that you are using female wood. There is no way to completely stop females from chattering.
        made me laugh out loud this did.

        Could be i am trying too hard for now, will do it better soon..
        http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

        Comment


        • #5
          Crank the speed up! If you are already at "high", what Carl said.....
          ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

          D. Platt

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Minnesota scroller
            One thing that helps is to use plain skiptooth blades, not reverse. Of course, make sure the blade isn't in upside down.

            The only other thing I can think of is, it could be that you are using female wood. There is no way to completely stop females from chattering.
            Mike, this is just downright rude, There are only two reasons for wood chatter and believe me it is not female wood.
            1) The blade is in upside down.
            2) The wood probably has a cup in it causing vibrating against the table.

            I might yell and scream alot, but I've never been accused of chattering.
            Woman do not chatter, when we got something to say we just spit it out.
            Marsha
            LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

            Comment


            • #7
              I think its from turning to fast, and using a blade not suited for what you are doing. What size/type of blade is it? Dale
              Dale w/ yella saws

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Marsha
                when we got something to say we just spit it out.
                Marsha
                Ain't that the truth.
                Mike

                Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

                Comment


                • #9
                  Mike, I am in awe at your bravery! You must wear a cup 24/7!
                  Mike

                  Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
                  Scrollin' since Jun/2006

                  My Gallery

                  http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lucky788scroller
                    I think its from turning to fast, and using a blade not suited for what you are doing. What size/type of blade is it? Dale
                    its a No.3 Polar blade, i dont know why, just seems to cut well.
                    http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Ok, thanks Steve,that blade should turn ok for you. I'm guessing its mainly a issue of a little more practice. And , cranking your wood around real fast to get the tight V might also be causing you trouble.Like Carl stated, the blade needs a chance to cut, cranking your wood around to fast will twist your blade, binding it in the cut, and somethings gotta give. Dale
                      Dale w/ yella saws

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hey Mikey,
                        What is this? I'm gone a couple of months only to come back, check in, & find you in trouble again! I need to leave again for awhile. Do I need to hire someone to watch you?

                        Randy

                        Comment

                        Unconfigured Ad Widget

                        Collapse

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X