Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood chatter

me again,
    on practising my V cutting using both MDF and ply i sometimes get violent and uncontrolable wood slamming, am i doing something wrong, and how do i cure it..
    http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

It could be that you are turning the wood too fast and the blade has not had a chance to catch up.
    The blade is deeper than it is wide so if you turn too sharp the balde may catch.
    The blade may have a slight bow on it due to deflection when you are pushing the wood. If you give the blade a rest by easing up just before you turn, the blade can catch up and the chatter will not be as bad.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

One thing that helps is to use plain skiptooth blades, not reverse. Of course, make sure the blade isn't in upside down.

The only other thing I can think of is, it could be that you are using female wood. There is no way to completely stop females from chattering.
      Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
      www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Originally posted by Minnesota scroller

The only other thing I can think of is, it could be that you are using female wood. There is no way to completely stop females from chattering.
        made me laugh out loud this did.

Could be i am trying too hard for now, will do it better soon..

Comment

Crank the speed up! If you are already at "high", what Carl said.....
          ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Originally posted by Minnesota scroller
            One thing that helps is to use plain skiptooth blades, not reverse. Of course, make sure the blade isn't in upside down.

Mike, this is just downright rude, There are only two reasons for wood chatter and believe me it is not female wood.
            1) The blade is in upside down.
            2) The wood probably has a cup in it causing vibrating against the table.

I might yell and scream alot, but I've never been accused of chattering.
            Woman do not chatter, when we got something to say we just spit it out.
            Marsha
            LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

I think its from turning to fast, and using a blade not suited for what you are doing. What size/type of blade is it? Dale
              Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Originally posted by Marsha
                when we got something to say we just spit it out.
                Marsha
                Ain't that the truth.
                Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Mike, I am in awe at your bravery! You must wear a cup 24/7!
                  Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
                  Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

Originally posted by lucky788scroller
                    I think its from turning to fast, and using a blade not suited for what you are doing. What size/type of blade is it? Dale
                    its a No.3 Polar blade, i dont know why, just seems to cut well.

Comment

Ok, thanks Steve,that blade should turn ok for you. I'm guessing its mainly a issue of a little more practice. And , cranking your wood around real fast to get the tight V might also be causing you trouble.Like Carl stated, the blade needs a chance to cut, cranking your wood around to fast will twist your blade, binding it in the cut, and somethings gotta give. Dale
                      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Hey Mikey,
                        What is this? I'm gone a couple of months only to come back, check in, & find you in trouble again! I need to leave again for awhile. Do I need to hire someone to watch you?

Randy

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                          Reply to Hope everyone had a safe holiday.
                          by will8989
                          Sorry to hear that Scott. Bruce had it but I never did. And I try to isolate from Bruce whenever I can. ūü§™ We were even around our son and grandson right before they were diagnosed and nothing for us. I guess I overdid the shopping Carole. I tried to sign onto our bank tonight and it is ‚Äútemporarily...
                          Yesterday, 11:31 PM
                        • Jim McDonald
                          by Jim McDonald
                          My saw is in a severe state of depression due to alleged abandonment. We have been clearing Becky's office since her retirement. She one of the last two original occupants of that new building in 2001, so it has been a lot of trips to the recycling bin with student thesis files, convention papers and...
                          Yesterday, 07:07 PM
                        • Redlee
                          Hello all, new here.
                          by Redlee
                          New here and looking for some help and guidance on scroll work and saws.
                          I have a Hegner M25S and have recently made some upgrades and would like to improve the blade clamping. So looking for ideas and help.
                          Thanks
                          Yesterday, 05:54 PM
                        • Ralph123
                          Reply to Clock hardware Kits.
                          by Ralph123
                          I didn't get the message. What address did you send it to?
                          Yesterday, 02:05 PM
                        • meflick
                          by meflick
                          Whatever therapy works for you - is a good therapy. Glad your touch/retail therapy was beneficial for you Betty.

Scott, I am so sorry to ear that you and your wife have both had to fight through Covid. I hope this means that you are both on your way to healing, if a bit slowly....
                          Yesterday, 12:14 PM
                        Working...
                        X