I think I broke my saw!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I broke my saw!!

I have looked through the owners manuel several times and I can't tell what is wrong. I am using a Craftsman 18" variable speed, model 315 scroll saw.

I was cutting a piece of 3/4" poplar at an angle. I had inches left to go and all of a sudden my blade had no tension at all and it kept hitting the throat plate. When I removed the wood I noticed the throat plate was chewed up quite a bit (it must have been happening awhile and I was concentrating on the cuts and didn't notice until the blade became real loose) and the bottom blade clamp moves back and forth quite a bit. I don't remember it doing that before. My saw is less then 10 hours old.

Did I break it?? Is it fixable??? Or do I have to send it in for service??

I just started this project and I have quite a bit more to do to it. And I have a deadline to have it finished by. Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you,
    Terry

None of the above! Take it back and get a "NEW REPLACEMENT" Dont take no for an answer. Ten hours old, you should have no problem getting it replaced. Just make sure they give you a new one and not a refurbished one. Just my two cents worth. Good luck !!! Rain Man

Comment

Terry-

Yes, definitely take it back. Hopefully you bought is a Sears. I bought my first scrollsaw, a Delta, there and the upper arm broke off and they replaced with no questions asked. So take it back and like Rainman said get a new replacement.

-Bill
      -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

it was user error..too bad, so sad.

kidding of course...I'd do the same as the other guys...I'd take it right back to sears, whether it was my fault or not...and I doubt it was your fault. I have broken many things though that were my own fault, user error, generally because I wasn't educated enough on how to use the tool or accessory, but I still take it back.
        Jeff Powell

Comment

Well Jeff, you hit the nail on the head there!! I definately don't think I'm educated enough yet, but since there aren't any classes that I know of, it is learn by trial and error!!!

I don't know if I broke it or if it just broke because of something wrong, but I did buy the extended warrenty on it. And YES I did buy it at Sears (where my husband works), so they better take it back and give me a replacement!!! But if they say they have to have service check it out first, I may not get it back in time to finish this project by the deadline. It is a crest for a Coast Guard ship and they want it before they pull out one week from today. So I have to finish it, paint it and ship it in time for them to get it. No pressure!!!! Maybe my husband can fix it when he gets home!!!!!! But if not, it will be going back!!!!! First thing in the morning!!!!

Thanks all for your help,
          Terry

Comment

The sacastic side of me says: "You should save up for a Hawk"

The reality is that you probably just needed to read the owners manual and be more familiar with maintenance. I've had minor issues with both my G4 and my Dremel but once I read the owners manual I quickly learned it was my error in not doing the right thing. Now I am deligent in taking care of those tools.

Terry, you got hosed by Murphy's Law, I hope all works out in a expedited manner so you can finish your job. At least it wasn't a Dewalt...Barry (BearFretWorks) could tell you something about a long wait in repairs.
            Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Id offer you use of one of my saws if your not to far away, but by all means get that saw returned and even exchange it, they should gladly do that for you. Dale
              Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Dale, Thank you so much for the offer, but I checked and AR to WI is over 13 hours away. A little too far for me. But I really do appreciate it.

Now here is the delima, when my husband got home he put in a new blade and everything worked perfect. However, is the blade suppose to touch the throat plate? Mine got chewed up pretty bad, and it still touches the plate even with the new blade and the blade holding tension again? I did read the owners manuel several times and it does not say anything in there about that at all. I too am quite deligent about taking care of my toys, I like them to last a long time. But when the operator's manuel does not explain how to fix the problem, where else can I go but to all of you wonderful, experienced and helpful scrollers!!! I truely appreciate all of your help and advice!! Terry

Comment

Terry, please don't take my words as being too critical. My bottom line is that there are high and low end saws, with that each has their limits. All I know is that for myself preventitive maintenance has helped me quite a bit in avoiding problems.

I know alot of folks own the same saw that you have, perhaps they will chime in with a more informed bit of advice.
                  Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Rivari,

Please don't think I was offended by your advice. I truely wasn't at all!!! I appreciate it very much. I had not researched saws very much before I purchased. I just read up on what features it should have and this one seemed to have what they suggested. But even as an inexperienced scroller, I'm not liking this saw very much. I think I will be saving up here real soon and look into some of the saws mentioned on this site. And since I had not heard of the hawk before, you gave me even better advice then you thought you might have. And I thank you for it very much!!! So please do not think I felt you were being critical at all. And please forgive me if my words made you think I was offended. I apologize!!!

Terry

Comment

My first saw was a Mastercraft from Canadian Tire and I chew up the throat plate also. I think it was because I didn't know how to set the tension properly. My blade was too loose although I thought it was as tight as I could get it. Then, I decided that after reading on tension I would go tighter. Broke quite a few blades...
                      One year more of experience helped and I also changed the saw for a nice Dewalt 788. I find the tension easier to regulate on this one.
                      Diane
                      Dragon
                      Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                      Owner of a Dewalt 788
                      PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Originally posted by ThCube
                        I have looked through the owners manuel several times and I can't tell what is wrong. I am using a Craftsman 18" variable speed, model 315 scroll saw.

I was cutting a piece of 3/4" poplar at an angle. I had inches left to go and all of a sudden my blade had no tension at all and it kept hitting the throat plate. When I removed the wood I noticed the throat plate was chewed up quite a bit (it must have been happening awhile and I was concentrating on the cuts and didn't notice until the blade became real loose) and the bottom blade clamp moves back and forth quite a bit. I don't remember it doing that before. My saw is less then 10 hours old.

Did I break it?? Is it fixable??? Or do I have to send it in for service??

I just started this project and I have quite a bit more to do to it. And I have a deadline to have it finished by. Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you,
                        Terry
                        Hi I just read your post I own the same saw and have had no problems so far.
                        you wrote "the bottom blade clamp moves back and forth quite a bit" mine does that I don't think it is broken mine works fine.
                        Regards
                        Lou
                        Lou

Craftsman 18 in.Variable Speed Scroll Saw-21609

Comment

Terry,
                          Is the plate slotted? If it is you can rotate the insert so that it clears the blade when bevel cutting.
                          Rolf
                          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Terry, as you were saying about the blade touching the throat plate, No, it shouldn't. There should be clearence enough there to tilt your table w/out touching the plate. As far as your saw, I'm sorry about your trouble. I'm a beginner scroller myself, with a 16" Craftsman, and haven't had much experience, but my mother & my wife have decided they are going to craft shows this year. Needless to say, I am learning to cut out dolls, & teddy bears, cows, etc. But, anyhow, being a Craftsman saw, and reading & talking to their techs, it is possible you've got a bearing out or something else wrong that let your machine come apart like it did. I would agree w/ the rest of the posts, and take it back for a NEW replacement. That way you are starting with a new saw again. Just my 2 pennies worth. Brad.
                            Last edited by farmer; 04-08-2007, 12:25 PM.
                            farmer
                            makin' sawdust with a 16" Craftsman.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf
                              Terry,
                              Is the plate slotted? If it is you can rotate the insert so that it clears the blade when bevel cutting.
                              Rolf yes it has the slotted plate insert that can be rotated that is what I do..
                              Lou

Craftsman 18 in.Variable Speed Scroll Saw-21609

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X