reversing direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reversing direction

I am a newbie and haven't even put a scrollsaw to a piece of wood yet. A friend of mine has and today he asked if I knew a way to reverse the direction of travel at a dead end without cutting a turn in the wood (for example at the end of a narrow leaf). I told him that I remembered seeing another friend show me how to do this about 8 years ago. I THINK he twisted the work piece as the saw was running and the blade and then proceeded up the almost parallel line. Can any one tell us how to do this? Is it dangerous? Thanks for your help.
    Dennis

Hi Dennis, and welcome to the family. I believe that you remember correctly also. If I am understanding you right, that is how it is done. The more you practice this the less noticable it becomes also. Steve
    Last edited by Steviegwood; 03-19-2007, 06:35 PM.
    If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
    My Gallery
    [email protected]

Comment

Steve is right but it takes practice. Use some scrap wood, cut straight in, then spin the board around without stopping and follow your cut out. Use your finger as a pivot point right at the blade, put the back of the blade against the wood and spin keeping the pressure at the back. Like I said, it will take practice but soon you will be doing it with out even thinking about it.
      Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
      Jean De La Bruyere...

l
      Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Practice, practice, practice. Soon you will develop the ability to turn at any angle without making a rounded corner. A primary skill you will acquire is the anticipation of a turn so that your brain tells your fingers to turn the wood BEFORE you get to where the turn is to take place. This compensates for the time it takes for the message to get from your brain to your fingertips. All experienced scrollers do this (though they may not be conscious of it)......Carter

Comment

Thanks everyone for getting back to me so soon. Looking forward to learning these skills and tricks. I intend on keeping you up to date on my trials and tribulations and I'm sure I'll be calling on you for advise again soon.
          Dennis

Comment

Everyone's response has been good. Try waxing the blade and touching up the "back" with a stone or fine file. This will make "the spin" easier. Good luck!

Comment

Welcome to the group Dennis.Like they have said it takes a lot of practice and I'm still at it but getting better.

Red
              RED.
              New owner of a Dewalt DW788

Comment

You need to pull the wood towards you so that you are pivoting against the back of the blade while you make the turn. It becomes a natural movement with time. There are some great books out there and Rick Hutchinson has some neat videos on hhis web site.
                http://www.scrollsaws.com/
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Welcome to the forum Dennis, practice,practice,practice.
                  kevin/pitbull.

Comment

Dennis, you are right, but what i would add. is. use a small blade, and thin wood. it is just easyer to spin the wood. if you are using a thick blade, it will leave a bigger hole where you turn. when i started, I used 1/4 inch, plywood. with a # 2 and #02 blade. go slow. at your speed. but turn fast. like last said. hold your (Im right handed) left hand middal or for fingure nest to the blade , in the back of the blade , hold firm. then with the other hand pull back , and give it a spin. then keep going. another thing would be. you can go into the corner. back out, turn into the waist wood. then back up into the cut. and turn into the other side and contenue. hope this helps. your friend Evie. PS Welcome

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• keystonecop
                      Had to post this just for Rolf.
                      by keystonecop
                      117 puzzles have had their first bath in watco natural oil. My yearly order from the store that buys from me.
                      No I do not eat that much mayo....
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.
                      Today, 05:32 PM
                    • Rolf
                      Excalibur 21 repair #2
                      by Rolf
                      I just finished rebuilding my friends 2nd EX 21, This one was in much better shape than the first. No rusty bearings this time but I re-greased them anyway.
                      I adjusted the front back motion and and the blade is also at 90 degrees to the table when using the locating pin.

I used...
                      Today, 02:44 PM
                    • Bill Wilson
                      Reply to Recommendations anyone?
                      by Bill Wilson
                      If it means the difference between cutting something and doing nothing, then go for it. It might not be the choice of most of us, but we aren't working under the same constraints as you. Hope it works out for you. Looking forward to a review, once you get a few miles on it.
                      Yesterday, 02:42 PM
                    • old fa_t
                      Reply to Recommendations anyone?
                      by old fa_t
                      After totally over-thinking this, I have decided to go ahead with the Micro Mark Saw. It will enable me to do everything I can imagine in my limited space and budget.
                      I thank everyone for offering advice, and I look forward to receiving more. As soon as I get it and set it up, I will post pictures...
                      Yesterday, 07:37 AM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Need any wood?
                      by will8989
                      Figured it out. The photos were Live and I had to edit them. As you can see, we were quite lucky they didn’t come crashing down in a storm. The last picture was a 2 trunk tree. My son already split a truck load today.

Next project, the roofer next week. Yippee....
                      04-20-2021, 08:56 PM
                    Working...
                    X