• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tension questions

Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

I also have the Dewalt and I would always take the tension off if I were you. Think of it, would you want to be under tension all the time *LOL* Maybe you R.

Comment

I have a delta but when I get done cutting for the day I always remove the tension and usually remove the blade and put it in my holder.

Comment

I don't know if it will hurt them, but I always take the tension off.

Bob
          Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Mia

We are the music makers.
              We are the dreamers of dreams.

Easy scrollin' with a DW788

Comment

I didn't realize it was bad for a bandsaw. I've never released the tension on my bandsaw, but maybe I should.
                Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Like Mike, I keep my bandsaw under tension permanently. Perhaps this is bad practice but I've never really thought about it.

The scroll saws are another matter. My Hegner came with a big warning in the instructions (we all read instructions carefully, don't we ? ) that the saw should not be kept under tension when not in use. So I work on the principle that what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander and loosen the tension on my other saws when they're not in use too.

Gill
                  There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                  (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Mike and Gill:

The bandsaw tension:

Per the Bandsaw handbook by Mark Duginske, published by Sterling press, the problem is the bandsaw wheel tires will develop a flat spot, and over time the tension spring will lose its stiffness.

A Flat spot on the bandsaw wheels is a place where saw dust can accumulate. That may result in "flutter" .

The spring losing its stiffness makes the blade tension scale very inaccurate. You could run out of tension and spring range when installing a re-saw blade.

Replacing the tension spring is no big deal. In fact now there are third party after market replacement springs that are sold as "New and Improved."

However, replacing a band saw wheel rubber tire is a real big deal. This is a full Saturday event the first time you try it. Not hard, just time consuming. All kinds of jigs to make. A real PITA.

Phil

Comment

Thanks Phil - time to 'detune' my bandsaw, methinks .

Gill
                      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Yeah, thanks Phil. I'm going to run out to my garage right now and loosen the tension. We appreciate the info.
                        Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                        www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Failing to release tension on a bandsaw is also bad for the bearings.

Comment

I'll pass this info onto my hubby. He maintains the bandsaw and I remember a conversation (vaguely) about tension on the bandsaw when not in use but don't remember what he did about it, if anything. Infact more I think about it I doubt he did anything because I just put my wood on it and start cutting without doing anything. As for the wheels, he did replace them not too long ago with the new ones on the market and it did take him about 3 hours!

Betty
                            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I always tension both my scroll and band saws as high as I can before using them. A stiff blade is essential to a good, straight through cut.

When I'm done, I release the tension. On the scrollsaw, I also release the top of the blade holder.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to New tools
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                                Yesterday, 11:14 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                                Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by KarlB
                                Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                                Yesterday, 09:41 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                                by KarlB
                                Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                                Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X