Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will8989
    replied
    You know, New Jersey is just a day trip for me and hubby. What's the name of that wood store again, I didn't catch it.

Betty

Leave a comment:

• Jim Rodman
    replied
    I am using a Delta SS350 saw, and at times I have the problem of the blade slipping
    in the upper quick clamp.
    I may not have the answer that you want, but some things to look for could be.

- When putting the blade in the upper or lower clamp you must have at least two
    thread of the blade clamped for the blade to hold tight.

- If the blade is not in the front most part of the holder I have found the it will slip
    when tensioning the blade or will slip shortly after starting the cut ( this is talking
    about the upper clamp )

- If the blade is dull and the wood is closing down on the blade this could cause the blade
    to brake on the up stroke if the clamp should slip..

- Is the blade in upside down (please do not mind me asking this because I have put them in wrong. )

- Check the free movement of the upper and lower quick clamp it could be that they may be hanging
    up and causing the blade to break.
    jim from ontario

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    Mia,

Where in NJ did you get the wood? I live on the other side of the river (Hudson) and could sneak in to get some wood.

Leave a comment:

• miamw
    replied
    I forgot to mention it's all 1/4"

Leave a comment:

• miamw
    replied
    Originally posted by BobD
    Now we've just got to get you some good wood!!!

Bob
    Thanks, but I've already taken care of that. I visited my local exotic hardwood supplier on Monday and got a great selection of wood, but no saw...boo hoo! I got cocobola, wenge, zebrawood, purpleheart, teak, quilted maple, maple, ash, walnut, mahogany and paduak. I won't tell you what I paid for all that because you'll all move out here , but it took me and my two kids to help bring it all in. I'm just trying to find some nice patterns now that are appropriate for the variety I have now. Yippee!

Leave a comment:

• BobD
    replied
    Now we've just got to get you some good wood!!!

Bob

Leave a comment:

• miamw
    replied
    Yes, the news is as you can see in my new signature, 29 days and the Delta went back to the store. I'm really surprised. There are like 30 Delta's in my daughter's woodworking class at school and nothing wrong with them. They're used all day, every day.

But, I was on my second in a month and after calling Delta, they told me to call service. Service told me that if the upper arm is giggling side to side, left to right, it was defective and get it back to the store before 30 days is up. That, I did. Apparently, with the upper arm giggling back and forth like that, it must have been causing enough stress on the blades to make them break or slip.

I didn't know what to do, so I started a new thread about my Delta being a dud trying to figure what brand to get next. I've decided to purchase a DeWalt 788 because there's really nothing else to get "in my price range". I ordered it and it should be here next week. From what I hear on here, I should be happy with the DeWalt and I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for asking and also thanks for all your replies.
    Last edited by miamw; 02-21-2007, 08:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lucky788scroller
    replied
    Well Mia??? any news? Dale

Leave a comment:

• Mick Walker
    replied
    Mia, if your SS250 is like my old Delta the rubber grommet is what creates the tension and is at the front end of the upper arm. When you move the tension lever it squeezes the rubber grommet thus creating tension on the blade. Maybe they have changed them, I haven't looked at a 250 for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• miamw
    replied
    Well, I have taken the lower clamp apart and yes, there was a lot of sawdust in there. I also have taken the protective cover off the back of the machine where the arms are attached. There is no rubber grommets in there at all. Actually, I didn't see any rubber of any sort anywhere on the saw. When I took the cover off the back, there was a small pile of rusty dust. I lubricated the joints as indicated in the owners manual but haven't started to saw yet after doing that. I'm just in a discouraged state of mind today. Kids were off from school and the last thing I wanted to do was waste too much time with the saw again.

It's back together again and I will give it a test run tomorrow. Hopefully cleaning the sawdust off the bottom clamp will do the trick. I think it's better now since it was much easier to get the blade in after cleaning it. I'll let you know if that made a difference.

Leave a comment:

• Albert
    replied
    Originally posted by CanadianScroller
    Here is a pic to show what I mean. I have had this problem before with my Delta.
    Same saw, same issue
    Good picture, Carl. That was my guess too, but I haven't been doing this long enough to be confident about a reply. I keep a can of compressed air handy and spray the bottom clamp at each blade change.

Leave a comment:

• CanadianScroller
    replied
    Here is a pic to show what I mean. I have had this problem before with my Delta.
    Same saw, same issue
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• CanadianScroller
    replied
    Check your lower blade clamp for sawdust. Either blow it out or use an old paintbrush to make sure it is clear. If there is sawdust in that clamp you will have to over tighten it in order to make the blade stop slipping.

The sawdust also makes the blade moves side to side while cutting.
    Once you have thoroughly cleaned the lower clamp you wont have to put the same amount of tension on the blade.
    I would think the problem is below the table since that is where it is breaking.

Leave a comment:

• miamw
    replied
    The "rubbery" shavings turn out to not be rubber after all. They are either rust or graphite since after touching them to wipe them off, all the black stuff stuck to my hand! It was like toner...impossible to get off. I am contacting Delta tomorrow. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• uk scroller
    replied
    Mia,
    When i found black rubbery shavings in my old Delta , it turned out to be the black rubbery diafram on top of the top arm, that "was" the dust blower !!!
    replaced the blower with a tennis ball under the bottom arm (whith a hole in it, and a piece of tube ) . still working 5 years later !!
    -------------Frank----------

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X