UK Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Question

Sloans sells one for $30 USD. Don't know what S/H would add. It's rated in US terms but I guess it should work okay across the pond.
    Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
    Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

I'd be wary of using US electrical goods in conjunction with those rated for the EU. They're often not compatible.

To answer your question, Bill, I don't know anyone who sells footswitches in the UK at a reasonable price.

Gill
      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Originally posted by Gill
        I'd be wary of using US electrical goods in conjunction with those rated for the EU. They're often not compatible.

Gill
        Well, I guess that depends upon the voltage of your saw. Admittedly, I don't know beans about the voltage level scroll saws made for UK run on nor the electrical plug style. That said, 220V systems require half the amperage of a 110V. So, the current rating of the switch should be closely scrutinized. If the plug fits and the current/voltage rating okay, why wouldn't it be a safe purchase?

Here's a link about compatability.
        Last edited by MikeDingas; 02-18-2007, 12:51 PM.
        Mike

Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

Comment

Perhaps it would be safe, Mike - I just said it's something to be wary of. Since I'm not an electrician, I don't know how these things work. However, I do know that there can be compatibility issues and it would be wise to check them out before making a purchase.

I'd be tempted to ask this question over on the UK Workshop forum where there are plenty of British woodworkers who have imported American equipment.

Gill
          There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

Since the foot switch is doing the same sort of job, I wonder if a sewing machine foot switch can be pressed into service?

Chris
            "If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

Saws: AWSF18, Meccano Mk II

Comment

Originally posted by Gill
              I'd be tempted to ask this question over on the UK Workshop forum where there are plenty of British woodworkers who have imported American equipment.

Gill
              Excellent idea, Gill. No one should sacrifice safety to save a few pounds.
              Mike

Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

Comment

Hi Mike,Gill and Chris
                Thank you for your help.
                Chris I thought about a sewing machine footswitch,my wifes machine actually,she's not to keen on me trying it, there is a problem, the switch controls the speed of the sewing machine,I could switch my saw to run flat out and then control it with the footswitch but I am not certain that would work,the contacts on the switch would probably soon burn out as the sewing m/c is not rated that high,and I was really looking for a switch just to stop and start the m/c and turn a light on.
                Bill

Comment

Bill, I've also toyed with the idea of making my own using a rocker-style light switch. I just haven't gotten around to designing a suitable housing for it.
                  Mike

Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

Comment

Hi Mike
                    Some of these new modern design standard lights have a footswitch on the floor,if they would work why do the machinery manufacturers charge so much for ones they supply.
                    Bill

Comment

Hi Bill 68,
                      Ever thought of making one yourself ???
                      All the nessasary electrical parts are avalable from your local maplins store ,
                      and the rest you can make from plywood or metal.
                      if you have an induction motor on your saw ,the sewing machine foot switch will not work!
                      by the way if your saw is fitted with a "no volt releace" switch, you will not be able to use a foot switch ,you must disable the nvr switch first !!! hope this helps. -----------Frank--------------

Comment

Originally posted by Bill68
                        Hi Mike
                        Some of these new modern design standard lights have a footswitch on the floor,if they would work why do the machinery manufacturers charge so much for ones they supply.
                        Bill
                        Part of it may be due to the lower current rating of the lamp and thus a lower rated switch. I've not seen one of those so I'm not sure about the design of that switch housing. I'd bet, though, that it's not as substantial as one for a shop motor.

Here's an idea for you. Got an old upright vacuum cleaner with a foot-activated switch?
                        Mike

Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

Comment

I like that idea, Mike !

A brand new 1200w vacuum cleaner can be bought over here for half the price (or even less!) of a scroll saw footswitch. You do realise that a number of questions about wiring the thing up are about to ensue, don't you ?

Gill

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X