blade questions =)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blade questions =)

Aloha everyone!! I am a new to this wonderful artform and have a couple of very basic questions about blades. I am trying to cut two pieces of 3/8" plywood at the same time. The blade that I am using is a regular tooth with 15 TPI. I selected it to use based on nothing so maybe it is completely wrong. It is burning my wood really badly and it seems like I am really forcing it. The cuts that I need to make are fairly curvy. What kind of blade should I be using?? Please help!! Thank you --Heather =)

What type wood is the plywood?
    Mia

We are the music makers.
    We are the dreamers of dreams.

Easy scrollin' with a DW788

Comment

Check with Mike at Mikes workshop.
      Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 02-14-2007, 10:11 PM.

Comment

See this post.
        Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
        Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

Hi and welcome to our group.
          Diane
          Dragon
          Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
          Owner of a Dewalt 788
          PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

A good rule of thumb when selecting blades is to have at least 3 teeth in contact with the wood at all times.
            This will minimize splintering, if the blade has skipped teeth then there is ample space for the sawdust to fall out of the cut without getting a buildup, which would lead to burning.
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

THank you all!! Miamw - I think it is birch. --Heather

Comment

Welcome to the forum Heather.
                kevin/pitbull.

Comment

Welcome Heather!

Birch ply can be quite tough, the amount and type of glue in the plywood makes a big difference too so it varies. It sounds like your blade ought to be OK but if they are generic blades and not one of the top brands they could just be dull and difficult to control, there can be a lot of variation in a batch.

If you are not using either Pegas, Olson or Flying Dutchman blades buying some would be one of the best moves you can make. Sometimes you can find a blade you like that isn't one of the top three but mostly it transforms what you're doing to have a really good blade. Mike at Mike's Workshop (Check out the Other Great Sites link in the left column for his site) does a sample pack of Flying Dutchman so you can try a range of solutions.

If you put clear packing tape over the pattern when you cut then it helps stop the burning. The plastic tape melts and lubricates the blade. Bizarre but true.

Chris
                  Last edited by BobD; 02-16-2007, 09:48 AM.
                  "If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

Saws: AWSF18, Meccano Mk II

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                    Reply to Home remodeling update - 28 August
                    by jim_mex
                    24 Oct - Home 'make-over completed!!!

Hi again all – time flies when you are busy and Norma and I have certainly been that the past couple of months since we embarked on our home 'total make-over' project but the good news is the work is now complete and we spent the past week moving back
                    Today, 12:39 PM
                  • scrollerpete
                    Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                    by scrollerpete
                    You did a fantastic job Denny, I’m sure you will have an happy customer...
                    Today, 12:33 PM
                  • Sandy Oaks
                    Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                    by Sandy Oaks
                    This is a custom order request. The pattern is by Harvey Byler purchased from WoodCraftByScott.com. I enlarged the pattern by 10%. Cut at home on the EX21 using FD UR #5 blades. The wood is Poplar approximately 7" x 9". Sanded with the Sand Flee and dipped in Shellac diluted 50% with...
                    Today, 10:43 AM
                  • Rolf
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by Rolf
                    Quartz. What are you not certain of?
                    I needed to make a couple of custom sized Octagonal replacement windows, I wanted the most precision. I don't remember where I bought it. If I had seen the bi-directional Incra 1000 I probably would have bought it instead. With the 2000 you have to choose...
                    Today, 09:08 AM
                  • Rolf
                    Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                    by Rolf
                    Love every bit of it! The lighting really makes it pop. Would you mind sharing the source for the lights that you used?...
                    Today, 08:55 AM
                  Working...
                  X