Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capt Weasel
    replied
    Oak is prone to burning if you're not careful. As already mentioned, I'd apply some Blue painters tape to the wood, to both wouldn't hurt either. Apply pattern then cover with clear packing tape. The more lube the better. I'd also, as mentioned, slow the cutting speed down and watch your feed rate. I too had the same problem when cutting some baskets and burned them slap up. Make sure you're using some good blades to like Flying Dutchmans FD-SR's.

Leave a comment:

• daver682
    replied
    Excellent information. I've got a lot to learn and you've all helped. Thanks everyone for the insight!!!

Leave a comment:

• bearfretworks
    replied
    Hello Dave,

I have cut lots of ornaments and rarely get any burning. When I do, it is usually due to a dull blade and "pushing" instead of letting the saw cut......or I'm using cherry....... I've used some birch and really noticed that it had a tendency to burn easily so quit using it.

I use clear packaging tape ( the ez remove stuff from Ace Hardware) and a FD #5 or #7 SR blade. I usually stack 6 pieces of 1/8 hardwoods (oak, maple, hickory, beech, cherry, paduak, purpleheart, bloodwood, etc...) and use a 1/8 plywood waste backer to "catch" the fuzzies. I almost always run the saw wide open, just like I drive a boat , and change blades every 20 - 30 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Randy Huckeby
    replied
    Dave,
    I would also put clear packing tape over the project to lube the blade>

Leave a comment:

• Paul S WI
    replied
    Hi Dave, From my experience in cutting stacked hardwoods like oak and maple I use a blade with less tpi and slow the saw down. This allows the sawdust to clear the kerf and has helped in preventing burning of the wood. And sometimes just backing off the cut allows the sawdust to clear.

Leave a comment:

• daver682
    started a topic Stack Cut Question

Stack Cut Question

Being a beginner I'm working from trial and error, but one of my biggest frustrations when stack cutting christmas ornaments was from sawdust that would get caught in the tight cuts that I had made and then often burn and mar the wood. I wouldn't experience this type of thing when cutting a single ornament, only when cutting two together. I could never figure out the cause and cut most of the ornaments one at a time because of this. I was wondering if some of you experienced scroll sawers could shed some light on how to avoid this in the future.

I stacked 'em tightly using masking tape, which held the wood together well and I used mostly 5r blades. Was usually cutting oak, maple and birch.

Any help is appreciated.
    Dave

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X