Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy
    replied
    I rarely, if ever, do anything to portraits beyond a good soak and wipe down with Danish Oil. A black background is a must in my opinion. It offers the best contrast to recreate a black and white portrait. White being the color of the wood obviously.The only thing I can think to try for your pattern attempt would be to zoom right in and crop head and shoulders only if you want another attempt. 1/2 body to 3/4 body portraits usually, not always mind you, but usually end up making any real detail in the face nearly impossible. All in all I'd say you did a fine job though ... especially when you consider it's a first pattern attempt. The future is promising for you indeed!!!

Andy

Leave a comment:

• PeteB
    replied
    Something you could try to lighten this piece would be to wipe on some light-colored enamel (white even). It will stick in the wood grain, so it will still definitely look like wood.

I'd try this on some scrap first.

You did a great job with your pattern, and definitely caught your dad in it.

Pete

Leave a comment:

• Steviegwood
    replied
    I think that I would just claer coat the piece and maybe frame it. Great job on creating the pattern and the cutting. Steve

Leave a comment:

• MikeDingas
    replied
    Good job. that's a difficult pic to work from but you did a super job on it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    You did a good job on the pattern and the cutting. If I stain birch it's usually a lighter tint, such as a golden oak. I like using a black background as well, and I find the pattern gets lost if to dark of wood/stain is used.

I like trying to use high grade oak ply, birch or even real wood for portraits.

Leave a comment:

• kyscroller
    started a topic Lookin for advice from all ye sawers

Lookin for advice from all ye sawers

I posted this in portraits but haven't got too much in help So I figured I would try this posting. I made my first pattern and got my first piece cut. It is a picture of my dad. It wasn't a great photo to work from but worked well enough to get me sawing. I cut it out of 1/4" baltic birch. Im Kinda of sold on the black background but your opions would be greatly appreciated.
    Also anyone has any good tips and a stain that would make this stand out?

Here are the pics photo-sketch-project

Last edited by kyscroller; 05-14-2007, 02:15 PM.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X