Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy
    replied
    I rarely, if ever, do anything to portraits beyond a good soak and wipe down with Danish Oil. A black background is a must in my opinion. It offers the best contrast to recreate a black and white portrait. White being the color of the wood obviously.The only thing I can think to try for your pattern attempt would be to zoom right in and crop head and shoulders only if you want another attempt. 1/2 body to 3/4 body portraits usually, not always mind you, but usually end up making any real detail in the face nearly impossible. All in all I'd say you did a fine job though ... especially when you consider it's a first pattern attempt. The future is promising for you indeed!!!

Andy

Leave a comment:

• PeteB
    replied
    Something you could try to lighten this piece would be to wipe on some light-colored enamel (white even). It will stick in the wood grain, so it will still definitely look like wood.

I'd try this on some scrap first.

You did a great job with your pattern, and definitely caught your dad in it.

Pete

Leave a comment:

• Steviegwood
    replied
    I think that I would just claer coat the piece and maybe frame it. Great job on creating the pattern and the cutting. Steve

Leave a comment:

• MikeDingas
    replied
    Good job. that's a difficult pic to work from but you did a super job on it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    You did a good job on the pattern and the cutting. If I stain birch it's usually a lighter tint, such as a golden oak. I like using a black background as well, and I find the pattern gets lost if to dark of wood/stain is used.

I like trying to use high grade oak ply, birch or even real wood for portraits.

Leave a comment:

• kyscroller
    started a topic Lookin for advice from all ye sawers

Lookin for advice from all ye sawers

I posted this in portraits but haven't got too much in help So I figured I would try this posting. I made my first pattern and got my first piece cut. It is a picture of my dad. It wasn't a great photo to work from but worked well enough to get me sawing. I cut it out of 1/4" baltic birch. Im Kinda of sold on the black background but your opions would be greatly appreciated.
    Also anyone has any good tips and a stain that would make this stand out?

Here are the pics photo-sketch-project

Last edited by kyscroller; 05-14-2007, 03:15 PM.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
    Looking For Mom and Baby Animal Pattern
    by Quartz43
    I made these simple animal patterns some time ago and gave to my Grandkids. They play with them a lot and have gotten broken so I need to make new ones. Of course, I can not find the pattern and can not remember where I have seen it.

Can anyone tell me where to get the pattern?
    Today, 09:48 AM
  • Rolf
    Reply to Giraffe Scene and Puzzle
    by Rolf
    Well that is a new one! What a clever combination! looks great.
    Today, 09:27 AM
  • Rolf
    Reply to Blades
    by Rolf
    I have grown to like the Pegas brand MGT blades . for this thickness the blade number varies from brand to brand, The TPI (teeth per inch) is more important the Pegas 5 is 11.3 and the 7 is 10.4 TPI.

I also the Olson Mach series the #7 has 8 TPI and really works great on thick wood....
    Today, 09:23 AM
  • will8989
    Farmers market
    by will8989
    The sales at my market is off the charts. We do Saturday and Sunday but I’m home cutting for next week and Bruce is there for the 3 hours today mostly for pick ups. My entire stock inventory is just about gone! Bruce made 8 pepper grinders. Only 1 left. Angels, birdhouses flying off the trees. Baskets...
    Today, 09:17 AM
  • Rolf
    Reply to Recommendations anyone?
    by Rolf
    I have a Micro Mark drill press that I use for the tiny holes when doing delicate fretwork. I am happy with that.
    This saw is too limiting especially for any bevel cuts. The blade change process would drive me nuts, and the other concern is blade tension. It is like the ancient deltas, spring...
    Today, 09:15 AM
Working...
X