Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not smart enuff for scrolling

Sigh.

So, although my scrolling has been progressing nicely in the past week and a half that I've had my Dewalt, and I've been getting better at those quick turns and nice curves, something's been amiss.

My hands were getting tired from holding the wood in place.

Having never scrolled before, I thought this was normal. Then, today, after 3 hours of scrolling it struck me:

My blade was upside down.

Sigh.

I am not smart enough for scrolling.

What do you all think? Shall I just give my scroll saw away to a more deserving scoller?

:-)
    Scrolling with a Dewalt 788 in a 50 degree workshop.

Don't give up that easily. At least you discovered the blade was upside down. Now the rest of it will be easier and you won't be likely to make that mistake again. We all learn more by our mistakes than by successes.
    Bill

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
    and website www.billswoodntreasures.com

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate.

Not to worry, I was joking about giving up - I really enjoy scrolling so far.

Has anyone else ever done this or something equally boneheaded?

J
      Scrolling with a Dewalt 788 in a 50 degree workshop.

Comment

Gee, I have been scrolling along time and I still put it in upside down every now and then. Don't let that make you want to give up.

Bob
        Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Packer, if you want to feel relieved, go back on this forum for a few months and you'll discover a number a new scrollers who have started threads under subjects like "too much vibration" or something similar....with nearly all of them realizing after reading the responses that they had the blade upside down. You discovered it before you got to the forum so you're way ahead.

Have phun.....Carter

Comment

blade upside down

I think all scrollers have done this at one time or another. It sure makes it more difficult especially when cutting solid thick wood!

Comment

I'm going to go so far as to say you're not a proper scroller until you *have* put the blade in upside down. It's one of our rites of passage...

Chris
              "If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

Saws: AWSF18, Meccano Mk II

Comment

Gotta agree with Chris on that one .....my personal " not-smart-enuff-for-scrolling " list is painfully long
                ...~Robert~
                DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Mistakes are what gives us scrollers character! You'll make more.
                  Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
                  Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

Using a #1 FD blade I cut for 20 minutes and noticed the blade seemed to be getting dull, time to replace it. Noticed that it was upside down and still cut okay? I was surprised. Turned it rightside up, or toothside down as it would be, and continued cutting for another 45 minutes. Moral of the story - blade lasted longer.

Paul S.

Comment

Not only upside down but have put them in backwards .
                      Smitty
                      Dewalt 788

Comment

Sorry, PS - as you can tell, it's been done so many times before by people who subsequently went on to become master scrollers that you don't get this week's award for a novel mistake. It's still funny, though .

Now, if it had been a pin-headed blade that you'd clamped upside down in a saw that only took flat-headed blades...

Gill
                        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Actually, I think you should just give up. PM me your physical address and I'll pick up the saw the next time I'm in Plymouth. I can always use a spare.

Seriously, you will make this same mistake again. But next time, you'll realize what the problem is right away.

Ain't learning fun?
                          Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                          www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

People who never make mistakes , never do anything .
                            you just have to have fun!----Frank-------

Comment

wait till you put one in backwards and try to cut with it lol think every now and than i still put one in teeth up instead of teeth down

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                              • tgiro01
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by tgiro01
                                Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                                Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                                Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                                Yesterday, 06:38 PM
                              Working...
                              X