Pin end Blades Vrs Pinless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pin end Blades Vrs Pinless

Hi all I just got a scroll saw for Christmas, and I am pretty excited. I haven't done this since I was in grade 7, I'm 32 now...Anyways I got a skill brand scroll saw that states it takes both pinless and pin end blades, however I am having trouble with the pinless blades...I don't know how to get them to stay, they pop out as soon as I set the tension. Does the tension have to be set differently then if you using pin end blades? Thanks for the help!

I use pinless blades and nothing else. What saw do you have? There is a much wider choice of blade size with the pin-less blades. Sometimes it can be tricky to get them to stay put. I had one saw that I almost tossed out the window because of trying to put the pin-less blades in and got rid of it after less than a month.
    “We stand upon the precipice of change. The world fears the inevitable plummet into the abyss. Watch for that moment... and when it comes, do not hesitate to leap. It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly.”
    -- Flemeth

Comment

It sounds to me that you need to tighten the blade holder knobs a bit more. There is a fine line between to much and not tight enough. Another issue that I have experienced is if the blade is not in the holders correctly it will slip out. I top load. So I Install the blade and tighten into the top holder, and then feed blade through the work and line it up in lower holder. While holding the blade in the lower holder & before tightening the lower blade holder, I loosen the upper holder briefly to make certain to make certain the blade is straight and then tighten both blade holders and then apply tension.

I hope that this helps and the description of my procedure is not too confusing
      cwmagee
      aka Fibber
      Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Try by filing the ends of the screws they hold the blade. With a cloth wipe off the lubricant of the blade at the ends. Do not push the blade too much when cutting. Let the machine cut for you. Prefer pinless blades. They need smaller entry hole and they come in larger variety for every use.
        Nintsios Vasilios
        Greece

Comment

What Nintsios said!

Tom
          Hawk G4
          http://www.scrollsawer.com/gallery/s...00/ppuser/4243

Comment

hi lizlowe:
            All good suggestions
            You may want to check the blade holder itself.
            Sometimes there's a small burr that prevents you from tightening all the way.
            Remove the holder and pass it over some emery cloth/fine sand paper and try again
            Good Luck
            Fab4
            I think this is what Nintsios is referring to

Comment

To clarify some of the above - most blades are shipped with a very light coat of oil to prevent rust (or from part of the manufacturing process - depending on who you ask). Some of us remove that coating with a fine sand paper (small square folded in half - just pass each ends of the blade through the paper) or wipe with a cloth with mineral spirits or even a dry cloth. I use the sandpaper because it roughens the ends slightly and I think it gives a better grip.

Make sure the ends of the blade clamps are flat - remove them and examine. File lightly if necessary.

Don't put too much pressure on the blade - another problem many have is over tightening and eventually stripping the clamps.

Be patient with yourself - you'll get the hang of it. I had to switch to my backup saw while waiting on a part for may main saw and had many blades slip before I re-learned the old saw.

Comment

Like Mark said, I use a piece of fine sandpaper and sand the ends of the blade to remove the oil.
                Denny
                ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

I have been using a scroll saw for 50 yrs and during that time have used 9 different saws and have yet had the need to clean or sand the blades. That's not to say that it may help but I have never had the need.

Comment

I use the pinless blades, why? I like to be able to drill a smaller hole for fretwork. With the pin ended blades the entry holes need to be larger for the pins to fit through. I've never had a problem with the blade slipping out but when I had the Shop Fox it did slip out a time or two and that was because of the tension not being set right. On Big Yellow the tension control is on the front of the saw and I can reach it with no problems at all and I just hate the ones you have to reach waaayyyyy in the back to tighten or loosen. So I think mine was that problem because that tension knob was not a good one at all. Big Yellow has been so good to me it isn't funny and he has had a long rest because I have not got any electric hooked up to him as yet. Can't get to the breaker box to flip that switch to turn on the power to that side of the shop. Hope you get the problem fixed soon Fay
                    Have a great day, Fay.

Comment

Thanks for all the info, I will try this weekend and let you know how it goes

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X