Stupid Question #3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Question #3

What is the difference between segmatation and intarsia?
    They to me look the same.
    So what is the difference?

thanks in advance
    dale

Dale,
    The difference (at least in my mind) is that segmentation is cut from 1 piece of wood while intarsia uses different woods and different grain directions and such to do the piece. The shaping and such are very similar.
    Kevin
    Scrollsaw Patterns Online
    Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

You'll get more opinion is the Intartia and Segmentation area.
      Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
      Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

Ok Dale, here is my 2 cts worth. it is my understanding, like kevin said. segmentation is cut from one piece, But I think it could be cut from differant woods too. the same as intasia. but seg is lefted in places to give dimention. with little or no filler underneath. and the sides of the peices are not rounded off. they both give dimition. how ever I think that intarsia. is cut in differat thickness too. and with the grain to show more deapth. welllll. both could be i guess. but mostly the intasia. is sanded to give a real life look. with what i think started with differant woods for color. and segmentation. is cut strait. no sanding on sides to give deabth. just lefted or lowered. the shadows would be differant for sure. for me, I think intasia, might be harder. for when sanding the sides of the pieces. you might run into. some spaceing you don't wont. so they have to cut a piece, line up the next peice to cut. and sand. with seg. you can just cut the peices out all at once. and play with the lefting and lowering. to give the same alostion. dang can't spell. but hope you get my dreft. I think they are both just as good as each other. but with some differant thinking involved. one is more puzzale like, and the other is too. but with more conturing. make sence ??? your friend Evie

Comment

Not to offend anyone, but back in the early 70's some scroll saw people referred to today's term of "segmented" scroll saw work, as Puzzle Cutting, and in many ways projects looked like a puzzle! Remember, that this was a time when people called the scrolling machines of the era Jig Saw's and today's hand held electric Sabre Saw's were sometime referred to as Scroll Saw's!

Now wasn't that a simple explanation?

Rick
          Where the deer and the buffalo roam!
          Old Scrollers Never Die...They Just Saw Away!

Comment

A lil history lesson.
            As for history, I doubt I would be scrollsawing if I had to pedal a saw like them old ones were! I tried it a couple times,....not pretty!
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
              by will8989
              Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
              Today, 10:32 AM
            • Sandy Oaks
              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
              by Sandy Oaks
              As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
              Today, 09:46 AM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
              by NC Scroller
              I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
              Today, 07:42 AM
            • NC Scroller
              by NC Scroller
              I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
              Today, 07:39 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              by Linda In Phoenix
              I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
              Yesterday, 10:01 PM
            Working...
            X