Ryobi 16"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryobi 16"

Does anyone have any comments, pro or con, about the Ryobi 16" scroll saw? Thanks in advance

Well its a cheap junk starter saw I knew somebody that had one, hated it and yes burned it set it on fire he hated so much, might last you years or just weeks. I had a look alike craftsman that last me about a year and it was junk now sits in the shed, in parts. It was either just me using the fire out of it or just cheap was 130 bucks at sears, if you can save up get a EX my first choice, dewalt second, or if you want a hegner or rbi hawk is top of the line.

Comment

Ok to start with if price is right . I have had a single speed roybi for about 20 yrs. It uses both pin and pinless blades. While I had not used it a lot of the years it is ok to get started, not a production machine but good for some basic fun.

Comment

If it's the SC164VS it's a great saw. I've been scrolling regularly for 8 years and that was the only saw I used until October of last year when I purchased the DW 788. It was a great saw for me. I bought one new from Home Depot and bought one used off Craigslist for a backup. The only problem I ever had with mine was the tension rod. I had to replace it 4 or 5 times in 8 years. I actually still have one of the 2 I had. I personally loved it.
        Don

Comment

I have had mine for years and it works just fine. It's a good saw to start with, I have upgraded to an RBI Hawk, but still will use the Ryobi in the basement when it's too cold in the woodshop

Comment

I started with a Ryobi, it is a good saw to learn, but after you master the art of sawing you will want to move up, I have an Excalibur now and it is much better than Ryobi.

I agree with Kragax it is a good saw to start with.

Comment

These cheaper saws are great to start with, you get a feel of the hobby or work to see if its something you like, its what I did bought a craftsman once i started working I was hooked, then worked more till the point I worn out the cheap saw and was ready to jump up. For some it may be best to start cheap and see if its something they want to do, rather than drop 600 bucks on a saw and find out its not what they thought and then having to sell the saw or let it sit.

Comment

My first scroll saw was a Ryobi. It was a great beginner saw. I made plenty of intricate pieces with it. It wasn't until I was on my third saw (Dewalt) that I figured out how "hard" I was working on the Ryobi. But, don't kick your own butt. Use to learn on and then by the time you think you are ready for something more - that's when you start saving your pennies. Give it some time. You'll do fine.
                John
                I've Got A Lot More To Learn
                About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
                "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• robdperry
                  New from Port Angeles Washington
                  by robdperry
                  Using the Forum to make a decision on purchasing my first scroll saw instead of a drone.
                  Today, 01:52 PM
                • garryatpa
                  Reply to Vintage scroll saw identification
                  by garryatpa
                  Just looking at The New Scroll Saw Handbook by Patrick Spielman and found a picture of this saw on page 47. Make is unknown and photo was submitted by a Henry Aldinger. Is submitted as an early electric scroll saw.

Garry
                  Today, 01:40 PM
                • Rolf
                  Clock hardware Kits.
                  by Rolf
                  A new member ralph123 left me a private message. Asking if I still provided kits for the Wooden gear clock in the Summer 2013 issue if SSWWC.
                  Ralph I sent you a private message.

Yes I do still make the kits.
                  Today, 08:49 AM
                • Rolf
                  Reply to A Bear In The Woods
                  by Rolf
                  I checked out that site and found a CNC/ SVG file for $1.99 plus $25 shipping! for a digital file NOPE....
                  Today, 08:38 AM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Phone call from son.
                  by will8989
                  Talked to him yesterday after he was coherent. Very fortunately, it was dc current. He said ac current and would have ended differently. And it wasn’t a house. It was a converter box in a marina located on a deck cut into a 20’ high steep bank. They had to climb a ladder to get to it. And they were...
                  Yesterday, 10:53 PM
                Working...
                X