Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good news- bad news too..

hi
    well the good news, my delta scroll saw turned up today, the bad news, i think its second hand, or at least been used before.
    On opening the cardboard outer, i reveiled the usual styrofoam inner , but covered in black greasy fingerprints , odd thought i, anyway on lifting it out of the box, i also noticed it was not covered with the usual plastic bag, instead this was screwed up in the corner, anyway, i began to follow the booklet on how to change blades, and underneath the table there is a dust collection box, on removal of it, there inside was sawdust, IT HAS been used i said to the wife, so i rang them and asked WHY. They replied they did not know it had been used before, but stressed it has been discontinued and will struggle to find another replacement for it, so what do i do now? except them taking it back and risk loosing it forever, or offer for a refund of some of the cash and keep it, over to you for advise please
    http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

Where did you buy it from, Steve? I'm sure that at the very least you should be able to get a partial refund on it if you decided to keep it ... you can't sell a "new" product in England - and probably nowhere else! - that has been used...

Personally I'd be tempted to try it first to check if it's working and then haggle for a substantial discount if it is ... but that's just my view ..

If it has been used though I would suspect it might be a return that there is something wrong with ....

I once managed to get a fridge in the UK for half price because of a dent in the side of it when it was delivered. The dent didn't matter at all since it wasn't visible when it was under the countertop but it was the principle ..
    Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Hi Steve, I agree with Ian here to try it out before returning it. You also may want to have your friend look it over with as to give you some advice. It sounds to me that he may have a little more experience with scrollsaws than yourself. If you find it in good working order I would then haggle about some monies back. BTW what model delta is it? Steve
      If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
      My Gallery
      [email protected]

Comment

I hate to say it, but Ian may be right. Someone may have returned it for some unknown reason and they put it back on the shelf. Or, it could have been a display model that people tried out, which makes sense if it was their last one. In any case, they owe you money back if you decide to keep it. Display models, if they'll sell them, normally are sold at a discount.

Good luck. These types of stories are getting way too common.
        Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
        www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Hi Steve

You might find this link useful. There's this link too, which explains your right in the UK to cancel an internet transaction up to seven days after the goods have been delivered.

Gill
          There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
          (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Originally posted by Minnesota scroller
            I hate to say it, but Ian may be right.
            Aw I am right sometimes Mike - well sometimes - occasionally -
            Ian

Comment

Steve thats a shame bud looks like someone sold you a bum steer as Ian said it may be a return so check it out or have a friend with scrolling experience look at it and if it seems ok to use go with Gills suggestion you may be able to get a partial refund any ways cheers and good luck
              Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

Being used and having greasy fingerprints would indicate to me that someone has had it apart and fiddeled with the inards. I would send it back or you may end up with more frustration than waiting for another saw.

I have kept defective tools and fixed them myself just to fill the need for instant gratification. I will never do it again (so I say now) Just my opinion.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

As I understand the law, Steve's entitled to return the saw in exchange for a full refund. The only dispute the vendor might raise will be the cost of return postage. If it was me, I'd phone the retailer and tell them that I'd decided on the full refund option and that I'd be happy to return the saw to whichever courier they might send to collect it. Any problems, go to local trading standards or the Citizens Advice Bureau and ask them for assistance.

How much did the saw cost, Steve? Could you get a similar one elsewhere? Are there other saws in the price range available elsewhere that you'd be prepared to consider?

Gill
                  There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

Steve, I agree with everyone else on this, but if you decide to keep it with a discount. Make sure you get everything in writing from both the retailer and the manufacturer. Also make sure you keep notes of the phone calls, who you spoke to and when and what was said!

Check your sales receipt and make sure it doesn't say "As Is". I'm the warranty manager of our company and if the sales receipt says "As Is", it means just what it says. Since the saw has been discontinued, can you still get parts? How long will they stock parts? Are new parts made to retrofit?

Just my thoughts.

Charles in KY
                    Charles

Comment

thanks for the info guys, i think i just want to return it, or exchange for a new one. this is the actual company i bought from, and the scroll saw too:
                      http://www.diytools.co.uk/Product.aspx/!TB_DEL40570

Frank(uk scroller) is coming over to look at it on friday, assuming its still here by then, but i haven't even tried to run the motor, i have just packed it away. I will phone them tommorow(thursday) as i am off from work, and see what happens about it. Meantime, thank you all for your comments, they are really appreciated.
                      http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

Comment

Just looked at the price of that saw on the link you posted - ouch!

A 16" variable speed delta here is less than half that amount. Wonder why the huge difference in price- other than the fact it has a 230v supply it looks pretty similar to the models here ..

There do look to be a few other places in the UK selling that same model at the moment but their prices are evn higher ..
                        Ian

Comment

Comment

I wish you luck with the return or exchange of the saw. I can relate to your saw problems right now.
                            Diane
                            Dragon
                            Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                            Owner of a Dewalt 788
                            PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Gill do you still have the VAT? I remmember when I was living in England every thing seemed to be double what it should be curtesy of your tax system.
                              Rolf
                              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tgiro01
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by tgiro01
                                One issue I found with the insert that comes with the saw was the areas they smoothed for the kickback pawls. If the insert is leveled correctly, those areas are sitting about 1/32-inch below the table. I had a problem with some small pieces getting caught and jamming because of that. Sawstop's recommendation...
                                Today, 08:18 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Interesting pallet
                                by Rolf
                                That is a definit rescue for a special project. I rarely get or use any pallet wood. But did use some from the pallet that my drill press was on. It looked like pine but was was very hard, carefully checked for nails and ran it through the drum sander with some 80 grit to get rid of any small grit.
                                Today, 08:16 AM
                              • Quartz43
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by Quartz43
                                I wish I could post the video as it looks better with the lights blinking. I used some red clear plastic behind the eyes and nose. It was a fun project.
                                Yesterday, 07:29 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Interesting pallet
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Maybe a star shining to tell us something? That piece of wood is a very special piece! Good eye.
                                Yesterday, 07:27 PM
                              • Misouri Wayne
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by Misouri Wayne
                                Tough situation. Just have to take it one day at a time.
                                Yesterday, 04:55 PM
                              Working...
                              X