Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• different cutting names

hi
    after reading about sawing, just how many different forms of scrolling is there, i read there is:
    Intarsia
    fretsaw
    Scrolling
    compound
    puzzles
    segmentation
    does all these different types of cutting use different thickness's of wood as well as different techniques..
    http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

They all have their own adapted techniques by those people that do them.

Lets not forget the whirly gigs, and toys.
    Jeff Powell

Comment

You can add a few more to the list and probably a bunch we haven't thought of;

inlay
      collapsable baskets
      portrait

I think the project itself determines the thickness of wood, although there probably are some general guidelines that would apply. For example, puzzles are generally thin material, but don't have to be. Compound cutting, by its nature, would utilize thicker material. Fretwork probably would tend to use material 1/2" or less. Intarsia and segmentation, since there is a lot of post-cutting shaping to be done would tend to use thicker material. It all depends on the pattern and the appearance one is going for. That's the great thing about scrolling, there is a lot of room for adaptation to personal tastes.

The techniques are as basic as following the lines. Just about all scrolling can be boiled down to that. However each particular scrolling disclipline has it's own set of generally accepted practices.
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X