Newbie with scroll saw problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with scroll saw problems

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and fairly new to scroll sawing. I (or should I say my husband) cut letters and then I decoupage them with fun papers and sell them. Well, on Saturday we went to turn on the scroll saw, a RYOBI 16" machine, and it was acting funny. It sounded like there wasn't enough power. Could it be the motor brushes? We ordered a couple online, and hope that replacing them will fix the issue, but if that's not it, I don't know what else it could be.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!

Ifi

I'm certainly no expert but my experiences with motor brushes is that they're good until they go bad at which point the motor stops working. Is it running slower or stop when you start sawing into the wood?

Dave

Comment

Yes, that's what it's doing, it's going slower, or not even starting. I didn't even put the wood in it because it was doing that and I didn't want to ruin my project. So sounds like replacing the motor brushes will fix this? I sure hope so!
      Thanks!

Comment

It does not sound like brushes are going to fix the problem. When brushes go bad the motor will not run. Have you tried blowing the dust out of it especially the areas near the switch and speed controls?
        Tim

If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will pay for it and not have it

Comment

It may be a speed controller problem.
          Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
          "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Sounds like the last gasp of a old used saw. Given that the saw is inexpensive, you might want to consider buying a new one depending on how often you use it. If you use it a lot then Porter Cable makes a nice one with much quicker blade changes for under $200. Good Luck

Comment

Dutchman, it's not that old, that's why I'm perplexed. I got it last spring, so it's just about a year old. And it hasn't gotten that much use, because I'm just starting on my business, I'm not getting regular orders yet, hehe.
              Jim, if it's a speed control problem, how is that fixed?
              Tim, I don't know. Last time I tried turning it on, nothing happened. Maybe the brushes were completely done by then?
              I thank you all for your replies. For now the only thing I can do is wait for the brushes to arrive before the end of the week and see what happens.
              Ifi

Comment

From what you said in your last post it is not the brushes. Brushes last hundreds to thousands of hours so if the saw has very little use it is not going to be the brushes. I think Ryobi has a 3 year warranty on power tools. It could be the speed controller or even the circuit board.
                Tim

If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will pay for it and not have it

Comment

If the brushes are not making contact or making poor contact they will look dull on the end that makes contact with the commutator (due to arcing)...if they are shiny on the ends then they are good...not sure if the motor has a capacitor but there is a speed control potentiometer and a circuit board that could be the problem...also make sure the motor spins freely and there's nothing binding...listen/feel for anything rough...
                  Also check that the brushes aren't binding in their slots...could be rust related if you're in a high humidity area...
                  Last edited by nikon_sam; 04-07-2014, 11:30 PM.
                  Sam,

"tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit...I"----pf

Comment

Go to w.w.w.scrollsaw.com Rick's scroll saw site ,he has the very best info on any number of saws ,spend some time there ,you will love all that is there!
                    "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
                    Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• John Smith
                      Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                      by John Smith
                      Thanks guys, I have a lot of HDU left over from my sign business in various thicknesses.
                      HDU doesn't "fuse" or repair itself under heat or friction. Only acrylics and some PVC materials do that. Depending on what part of the world you are in, you would have to google HDU Distributors...
                      Today, 10:01 AM
                    • Jim McDonald
                      Reply to Phone call from son.
                      by Jim McDonald
                      My kids always call me since I am the one who probably did the stuff they are calling about.

I know it's scary to get that call, but I'm glad to hear the charge exited where it did before it went any further.

Probably hurts like hell and he has a copper taste in his mouth...
                      Today, 09:52 AM
                    • Sandy Oaks
                      by Sandy Oaks
                      Welcome to the forum from TN. As a Pegas Distributor, Pegas has the Super Skip blades which works perfectly with acrylics at a reduced speed.
                      Today, 09:40 AM
                    • Rolf
                      by Rolf
                      Welcome to the group. I look forward to seeing more of your work. You will probably need to slow down you scroll saw when cutting the urethane on the scroll saw. If the blade gets to hot it will fuse back together.
                      I have used the house trim board material which I think is PVC. Where do you purchase...
                      Today, 09:22 AM
                    • John Smith
                      by John Smith
                      thanks for the kind words - I'm not really a scroller "enthusiast", per se. I like to make dimensional signs and have always used the band saw, routers, or Roto-Zip to cut the elements out then do some handcarving to perk them up a bit. I'll put some of my projects in my folder later on....
                      Today, 08:15 AM
                    Working...
                    X