• Show
Clear All

• uk scroller
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Pop
    replied
    Originally posted by CanadianScroller
    I have my saw set at a height that will allow me to stand or sit. I sit when cutting fine work so I can look at the blade and pattern closely. I cannot sit for too long though.
    You may want to look at these plans http://1nailbender.tripod.com/full.htm There is a nice scrolling stand there that is adjustable.
    Nice idea.. I wonder about vibration with that stand. I do like the idea of being able to tilt the saw toward you to look over top the work somewhat.

Leave a comment:

• Pop
    replied
    Can't bend my neck very well so the stool is the way to go for me too. I've got a couple buddies even bought the hydraulic stool that Sears had at Xmas. I even raised the bandsaw stand I made so when I'm standing at it, the table is about chest high. Early on I found the rubber, interlocking squares they use for kids play areas at schools and home work great for taking the stress of knees, backs and ankles if you have a lot of standing to do. My shop floor is wood and it grabs then enough to keep them from 'walking' when I walk around the shop. I did take some ribbing at first because the original squares I got were multicolor because of being used in the kids play areas. I've since found all black squares also.

Has anyone been using one of the new white LED work lamps at the saw? Any pros or cons?

Leave a comment:

• PuzzledMoose
    replied
    I think .... nah I'd better stay out of this ...

Leave a comment:

• Mackem
    replied
    the thoughts running through my mind are hilarious

kevin

Leave a comment:

• Dragon
    replied
    I have great picture in my head also. My girlfriend tells me all the time that she has bruised knees!!!

Leave a comment:

• Little flower
    replied
    Originally posted by workin for wood

but seriously...I think sitting on the stool, the table of the saw should be about nipple level. That's the most comfortable for me.
    For us ladies would that mean bra on or off to adjust the height ????? I have some rather amusing pictures in my head! Ooops, better be careful so Bob doesn't ban us here!

Leave a comment:

• Pep
    replied
    Steve
    I am like the majority here, I have an adjustable stool, However I redid my work bench to bring my saw down. It now has its place of glory(?)
    Regards
    Pep

Leave a comment:

• unixpro
    replied
    I sit on a padded stool that I bought from Rockler. I have the saw sitting on my workbench at about nipple height, like Jeff. I do that for a couple of reasons. First, if I need to do a large piece, I can just get up and move the stool out of the way. I can also do that if I'm getting tired of sitting, or just need to get a little blood flowing (it's cold sometimes). Second, I wear bifocal glasses and sitting with the saw at that height allows me to actually take my glasses off and see the wood clearly. At other heights, and I've tried a number, I have to look through either the top or the bottom of my glasses, which is very uncomfortable.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    Another thing about standing. My saw is in the basement on a concrete floor that is very hard on the legs over time, so I really need to sit. I just put down a thick vinyl matt(garage floor matt) that really helps.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Wilson
    replied
    When I had my old Craftsman saw, I built a stand for it that was about chest high when standing. It never occured to me to sit and scroll. However, as I spent more & more time at the saw, my legs and back really began to ache, which limited the time & enjoyment. I dragged an old drafters chair home from work one day, but it was too low for my stand, so I built a platform for it that allowed me to sit a comfortable height. It was awkward to get on and off of though, but it made cutting for hours on end much more bearable.

I now have a DeWalt with the tilted stand and my chair is just the right height. It is difficult on larger projects to move out of the way and standing at the DeWalt is not a very good option for me because I have to hunch over too much to be comfortable, but so far I rarely make anything that is that large, so if/when the time comes, I'll probably set the saw up on blocks so I can stand at it more comfortably.

Leave a comment:

• CanadianScroller
    replied
    I have my saw set at a height that will allow me to stand or sit. I sit when cutting fine work so I can look at the blade and pattern closely. I cannot sit for too long though.
    You may want to look at these plans http://1nailbender.tripod.com/full.htm There is a nice scrolling stand there that is adjustable.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    I sit on a stool when using the RBI, it is tall compared to the hegners in our club. The rest of the saws are dependant on what table you put them on.
    I will have to compare the work height on my saws tonight when I go home.

One of our members cut his hegner table legs down so that he can sit in an ordinary chair. The legs are also uneven so that the table is tilted down in front. They are using 16 inch Hegners.

Leave a comment:

• kofte
    replied
    I guess I'm the odd one who likes to stand. I lean back against a wall and adjust the saw position based on the length of the wood. The saw slides relatively easily, but doesn't move when cutting. It was easier on the back then stool-sitting.

Leave a comment:

• dale
    replied
    I have an artificial leg and overweight. One of those I could change but any way I need to sit to saw.
    Also to fit my bifocals well i have my say pretty high compaired to what you all are talking about.

dale

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X