Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sit down scrolling

hi
    i couldn't help but notice in everyones workshop pictures i have viewed, you all have chairs to sit and do your scrolling, isn't this a bit cumbersum when using larger pieces of wood, or is it possible to sit and scroll all day whatever the challenge..
    steveb
    EDIT: ps, what do you reckon is a suitable height for a scrollsaw?
    http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

I have a stool I use. When I have a larger piece of wood that won't allow me to get close enough to the saw to sit, I just move it out of the way for the time being. My back, feet or knees couldn't handle me standing at the saw for long periods of time.
    Kelly
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Buffalo
      I have a stool I use. When I have a larger piece of wood that won't allow me to get close enough to the saw to sit, I just move it out of the way for the time being. My back, feet or knees couldn't handle me standing at the saw for long periods of time.
      Me neither. As Carter would say, where's the "phun" in backache? I have a "draughtsman's" chair to sit at, one of those high stools with a ring to rest your feet on.

Chris
      "If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

Saws: AWSF18, Meccano Mk II

Comment

I'm like Kelly, need to sit. When I scroll a large piece I do stand up.

Bob
        Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

When I've had new dance steps to learn, I've even been known to dance while scrolling!

I find the comfortable height for a saw depends on the height of the seat, if you're using one. Generally speaking, I like to achieve a position similar to that of a pianist (whether I'm standing or sitting) so that my forearms are parallel to the table, my wrists are straight, and I can control the workpiece with my finger tips.

Gill
          There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
          (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

I too am for sitting when I scroll my back can't take much standing as for saw hieght thats probably what each individual finds comfortable to them for me my saw rests about 2 hands below my sternum when I am sitting
            Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

I'm sitting on a stool..easy to get up and down from and easily kicks out of the way if need be. Originally I had a lazy boy with a vibrating back massager and a drink holder...but then I realized I can't command the "force" to operate the scroll saw for me.

but seriously...I think sitting on the stool, the table of the saw should be about nipple level. That's the most comfortable for me. If the saw is too high, then it's hard to control the wood, and if it's too low then you begin to bend over and hurt your back. I don't think there's a need for a back on a stool either because your not sitting back and relaxing on it and the back can sort of get in the way sometimes. going back and forth from the bench to the saw, it's like mounting a little horse...swing the leg over or around, whatever and your on it quick as a whip.
              Jeff Powell

Comment

thanks guys, so the way i figure it is, buy a chair/stool sit on it and then build the table to the height comfortable from that.
                ok cheers
                steveb
                http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by workin for wood
                  but seriously...I think sitting on the stool, the table of the saw should be about nipple level. That's the most comfortable for me.
                  Wooo.. that's sitting pretty high but guess if it works for you, why not.

I have an old office chair which is very convenient fot swinging around to the back of the bench.
                  Cheers. Teresa .

Comment

I'm with Teresa. Nipple level is little too high for me. My stool is about 30" and I made a stand that fit the stool. Maybe about the middle of my gut.
                    Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
                    Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

Maybe Jeff needs a "bro" (old Seinfeld joke).

I use a drafting stool, with a low back that I have tilted in to give some support. The table is about diaphragm level. Some day I ought to get a box to put the foot switch on because I get sciatica from holding it down.

No, I'm not height-challenged. The table is tall!

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by PeteB
                        Maybe Jeff needs a "bro" (old Seinfeld joke).

I use a drafting stool, with a low back that I have tilted in to give some support. The table is about diaphragm level. Some day I ought to get a box to put the foot switch on because I get sciatica from holding it down.

No, I'm not height-challenged. The table is tall!

Pete
                        I use a milk crate with a piece of 1/8 BB screwed on it and the foot switch is resting on the very top--need to clamp it down though, it does have a tendancy to move on me....
                        V/r
                        Jesse "Tsavo" Davis
                        Excalibur EX-21 (purchased Apr 06)

Scroll Sawn Art
                        "Using the bright side of your brain."

Comment

Pete -

That's about the same height as I like to saw. Maybe it is puzzles. I like to be able to get right over the picture while cutting if there is an intricate bit to do and the color of the picture makes it hard to see the line.

Chris
                          "If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

Saws: AWSF18, Meccano Mk II

Comment

Front edge of the saw table is about 3 ft off the ground when tilted forward - I sit on a padded bar stool - one foot rests on the bar stool rung, the other on the ledge of the scrollsaw stand - puts the table at somewhere near diagphragm level when sitting .... it's comfortable for me that way ... but how come noone ever thought to put a drinks holder on a Dewalt?
                            Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

I have an artificial leg and overweight. One of those I could change but any way I need to sit to saw.
                              Also to fit my bifocals well i have my say pretty high compaired to what you all are talking about.

dale

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Today, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Today, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Today, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by NC Scroller
                                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                                Today, 07:42 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                by NC Scroller
                                I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                                Today, 07:39 AM
                              Working...
                              X