Im making sawdust again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im making sawdust again.

Its been a while since I last posted & I am back making sawdust.
    Here are the last two creatations.
    Note: Two days after I made the box, my $99 saw died - SO I am in the market for a new saw!

The cross is Bocote - I love this wood!

The box is a White Pine for the sides, BB ply for the base and the top is African Padouk. By far the box was harder to make than the cross.

Bill

Bill
    Gun control is using both hands.

Those look great. I really do like the looks of the wood you used in the cross. I have never seen it before.

dale

Comment

Nice work, Bill. That cross looks good made from the Bocote. It is a nice wood ..

I looked at some of that last time I was in the lumber merchants here - then I looked at the price! It's almost $30 per board foot here ..
      Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Beautiful work. I'm glad you are back at it. Bocote? I surely have never heard of that. Is that the only name for it or is called by another name?

Scott
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

According to this site - http://tropicalhardwoods.com/htm/tro...ods/bocote.htm - it's also called cordia, light American cordia and freijo, but I've never seen in called anything other tha bocote in either of the two places you can buy it round here.
          Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Thanks for the comments! Now to order $1.75 worth of parts to get my saw running again! I think I will buy 4 of each!!!

Bill
            Bill

Comment

Originally posted by PuzzledMoose
              I looked at some of that last time I was in the lumber merchants here - then I looked at the price! It's almost $30 per board foot here ..
              I bet! Most bocote comes from Mexico! Since Im in South Texas, I get it a bit cheaper.

Bill
              Bill

Comment

Great work on those two projects. I love using bocote because of its beautifull grain. It is too expensive for me to make big things like you did with the cross but I get some small quantities just for lathe turned pens. Here is an example of it in one of my fountain pens shown open and closed.
                W.Y.

http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Great work Bill. I love that Bocote as well!

Nice FP W.Y. What kit is that? And I'm sure it is just the photograph, but the top looks "proud" of the centerband.
                  ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

I like your user name

I love Bacote too, but up here in Washington, it's very expensive. I can afford it for pens and the like that I turn, but for a scroll project of any size, it's out of the question.

Comment

Bill
                      Those are beautiful pens. I was wondering how much those pens would go for? It must be a lot of work to turn one of those. I have never seen those at the craft fairs that I go to. Will have to look around for this.
                      Diane
                      Dragon
                      Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                      Owner of a Dewalt 788
                      PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X