Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivari
    replied
    Jeff, I think you nibbled on to many lead base painted window sills as a kid.

Something tells me the Rigid orange color attracted you the most.

Leave a comment:

• workin for wood
    replied
    use lead based paint ...it lays down heavier <wink>

Leave a comment:

• Magpie
    replied
    I use stuff I find at the lumberyard and can get most of the colors out of that, or stain it, or use acrylic wash, or leather dye, or many of the other variations that folks on this board have suggested If you go to the lumberyard, be sure to look in their discard/burn pile, that's where the best stuff is! Some of the best colors of wood I have gotten are from 1x6 cedar fence pickets. A cabinet maker here in town also gave me a few bits and pieces. Don't be embarrassed to paint; I've seen some first class painted intarsia.

Be afraid, though, because you are entering the world of hardcore addiction. I was just looking at these smilies on the right hand side of the reply screen and thinking, "Wow, these would look really nice in intarsia..." You will start to view the world as only a collection of items waiting to be drawn, sanded, and glued!

Leave a comment:

• dale
    replied
    I was wondering if a person could paint the different pieces till i can go get some different colored wood.
    no where around here close has different kinds.
    Closes is 20 miles away but they only have local woods like walnut, oak,

have to go to springfield, Mo for other species.. 60 miles away.

Maybe after the new year starts and the drunks are off the road

dale

Leave a comment:

• jimp11
    replied
    Hi guys some here say I don't do it the wright way I guss but I have fun. great sport

Leave a comment:

• CanadianScroller
    replied
    Sometimes this forum is like a support group for addicts.

I have avoided intarsia for some time now.
    I look at it like a rainbow. Once you have discovered the magic of a rainbow you loose a little of that AWE that strikes you as a child.

On the other hand, it would be nice to have the power to instill that same awe into other people.

Leave a comment:

• Jediscroller
    replied
    Originally posted by Cutting Cathy
    Kevin, Didn't you make the intarsia Christmas ornaments?? I think that counts!! That's what I should start with because I loved them!!

Cathy in NE
    Hehehe, yep Cathy, I made those as well. I guess those would count as well though the stacking of the woods kind of felt like cheating.

Leave a comment:

• Cutting Cathy
    replied
    Kevin, Didn't you make the intarsia Christmas ornaments?? I think that counts!! That's what I should start with because I loved them!!

Cathy in NE

Leave a comment:

• Dusty Buffalo
    replied
    I do have to say, sanding is my favorite part. Ok, quit laughing.

I'm serious. I find it very relaxing but very dusty as well. Makes a great mess on the workbench. But nothing a good shop vac can't suck up.

I always look at it like I'm putting a puzzle together. I've always been a puzzle geek.

My weak point is the staining. I'm still wanting to paint everything because that's what I'm comfortable with. I'm working on the staining and hopefully in the next few weeks I can make a trip to Highland Hardware and they can give me some pointers. They have an entire back room with nothing but stains, stains and more stains. I want to work with some of the colored stains. . . will be closer to painting for me.

Leave a comment:

• Jediscroller
    replied
    I always suggest doing something that catches your eye and not worrying about whether it's a "beginner" pattern or not. If you see something you like, go for it. You'll be much more likely to finish something that you like.
    This swan was my first (and still only) intarsia piece. I don't think it would be considered a beginner piece but that didn't stop me from hacking it up. It caught my eye enough to want to give it a try. Intarsia's not too tough, just very tedious with lots of sanding and finishing. If you like that sort of thing you can get some very beautiful pieces. I will say though, that after doing the swan, I went back to fretwork.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ChuckD
    replied
    One problem with intarsia. If you start it, you are in trouble. You will be addicted. You will come to love sanding. You will look at pictures and say"I can make an intarsia out of that". So just be careful.

Leave a comment:

• sstalker
    replied
    Hi all and happy holidays.

One source of patterns for intarsia is stained glass patterns. A lot of the same construction principles apply. www.spectrumglass.com has quite a few, although only the pdf (which is most of them) files would be of value unless you have a program called Glasseye.

When I finish all the fretwork I have patterns for, I will try an intarsia project.

Steve - Toledo

Leave a comment:

• dale
    replied
    Ok Trout you got me on that one.. What is a fuming tank? and what is it used for ?

dale

Leave a comment:

• workin for wood
    replied
    Takes some careful planning, but not really that many tools. Be sure to have an electric pencil sharpener, carbon paper and lots of masking tape. I don't recommend cutting and gluing pattern pieces on to wood because they never fit back together. I use 3/4 to one inch thick woods and a #9 skip tooth blade. I use a cut and trace method. You cut a piece and then you use the cut piece/combined with the pattern to trace out the next piece. For example..you cut out an eyeball. You take the board that is to be the face/head and put the carbon paper and pattern on it. You set the cut out eyeball on the pattern where it belongs and you trace the eye and then the head. You keep tracing and matching pieces...taping them tight together as you go. It's easier if you use all the same thicknesses of course.
    A judy gale teddybear or dolphin is certainly a good starter choice.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Dragon
    replied
    Thank you all for this information. I am doing a lot of reading and intarsia is a possibility in the future so I bookmark all these sites and will probably try my hand at it later this year.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X