Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sticky patterns

hi
    i have been crawling through internet pages of scrollsaw stuff and on a few of the sites it shows people cutting out paper patterns that appear to be stuck onto the wood, and when the piece is cut, the paper pattern is removed from the piece. Did i see right, and where would i get this paper if so.
    steveb
    http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

Sticky Paper

Originally posted by stevebuk
    hi
    i have been crawling through internet pages of scrollsaw stuff and on a few of the sites it shows people cutting out paper patterns that appear to be stuck onto the wood, and when the piece is cut, the paper pattern is removed from the piece. Did i see right, and where would i get this paper if so.
    steveb
    Hi Steve, I beleive what you are seeing is a pattern attached to wood using a spray adhesive. I use an all purpose spray adhesive DURO brand from wal-mart. Just spray the back of the pattern and attach to your wood. I remove my pattern when I am done cutting using a hair dryer To soften the adhesive and then wipe the wood with mineral spirits or paint thinner. I let that dry overnight before sanding. Steve
    If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
    My Gallery
    [email protected]

Comment

That's one of the more popular methods for applying a pattern to the material you are cutting. Personally I use Krylon Repositionable Spray Adhesive, but Duro and 3M 77 are others commonly available.

Spray the adhesive on the back of the pattern copy (never the original). I spray pretty liberally because I don't want the pattern lifting while I'm cutting. That can cause you real heartache. Then when done, I mist or brush on a little mineral spirits and the pattern falls off. Wipe the bare wood again with MS to remove the remaining residue, sand lightly and your ready to finish.

There are other methods that folks use with success; contact cement, glue stick, contact paper, double back tape, etc. Hopefully others experienced with these methods will jump in and give you more details.
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

thanks guys for the quick responce, but tell me, using this adhesive, will this foul up the blade while cutting?
        steveb
        http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by stevebuk
          thanks guys for the quick responce, but tell me, using this adhesive, will this foul up the blade while cutting?
          steveb
          Hi Steve, No it will not effect your cutting. Steve
          If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
          My Gallery
          [email protected]

Comment

Steve B, use the spray adhesive on the paper pattern and not on the wood. I use the 3M spray and then cover the enitre surface with clear packing tape which has it's own adhesive. You won't have any issues. In fact the tape will lubricate the blade as it cuts

Scott
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Some people print the pattern right onto adhesive paper too.
              If there is any residual gum from the glue you can use mineral spirits ro remove it.
              CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
              "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
              Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

There's lots of variations on a theme here ..:-) I wrap the wood with green - sometimes blue - painter's tape then fix the pattern on with 3M spray adhesive - the tape comes off easily afterwards and doesn't seem to leave adhesive residue.

I don't remember seeing geen or blue painters tape in England though - maybe it's because i wasn't looking for it ....

Oh and Canadian duct tape is waaaaaaay better than the English kind - people hold their trucks together with it here
                Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

They use it for more than cars....
                  Dragon
                  Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                  Owner of a Dewalt 788
                  PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Diane can I have a warning, please if you're gonna post pictures like that? - I almost choked on my coffee here laughing ....
                    Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Sorry about that Ian, next time I will PM you ahead of time.
                      Dragon
                      Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                      Owner of a Dewalt 788
                      PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

That is hilarious. Way more advanced that when my kids were small.

We used to fill them with cream soda, shake en real hard and rub them in our hair like a balloon. Eventually they would burp or worse..... then slide down the fridge....You method is way more effective!
                        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I have been using clear contact paper on top of the wood before applying the pattern with good results.

If you are interested in intarsia you can use it like the old color forms kids toys (colour forms for our friends accross the pond).

Apply spray adhesive to the back of the pattern and the apply the pattern on the top of the contact paper. Cut the pattern up as needed. Now you simply peel the back off of the contact paper and place anywhere on the wood you need for the piece.

I still cover everything with packing tape.
                          Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

For my smaller projects, I just use a glue stick like the kids use at school - rub the glue over the back of the paper pattern and then stick it on the wood. Some of the glues sticks are colored so they show purple while the glue is wet ~ this helps me know if the whole pattern is covered.
                            Theresa
                            Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

I cover the whole piece of wood with the cheapest masking tape I can find. Then I spray the pattern and immediately apply it to the tape covered wood. If it starts burning while I am cutting or going thru a lot of blades I will cover it all with Clear Shipping tape. Never have a problems with residue. If it is a fragile piece I will spray MS or paint thinner on the pattern and it will lift right off. For intarsia I will use only the glue stick. It is usually cut right away and that way I can check the grain I need..
                              Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                              Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                              Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X