Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob
    It is an L shaped allen key.

I've never looked at other saws, yet. Couldn't afford to buy more expensive and wasn't sure I was going to love it.
    Now I know I love it and I will wear out the warranty on this one before even looking for something else.
    Dragon
    Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
    Owner of a Dewalt 788
    PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

I've thought about it, and for the price of t-handled allen wrenches, this may not be worth your time...but if you take two 1/2" x 1/2" x 3" pieces of pine, apply glue to one side of each, place the short end of the wrench between the pieces, and camp them together very tightly (pine is soft enough that you can compress the fibers around the wrench), you will have a t-handled wrench. It extends your reach and more than likely will increase your blade-change speed...

Does thatt make sense? I should also ask if you know what I mean by a T-handled wrench...

Bob
      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Originally posted by stevebuk
        hi carl
        i was just looking at that site, and i quite fancy this:
        http://www.diytools.co.uk/Product.as...72/1486!SM1302

is it any better or worse than your suggestion.
        thank you
        Once again Steve that is a copy or variation of the others you have looked at.
        If you look at the Delta you will see an up front tension control which is a plus. The blade clamps are tooless. Dleta has to have the quickest blade change....in my opinion... that there is.
        I see you are trying to keep the costs down which can be a good thing when starting out. The flip side of that is if you really like scrolling and get into it in a big way you may want to upgrade your saw.
        I think it is always a good thing to have two saws, in case one is down for servicing.
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

you are right carl, and you have convinced me to go for the delta. i think if i start out with a good one, and things go wrong, i know its me and not the machine thats at fault, if i buy a cheaper one, i may never know.
          many thanks for your input, i will order it when the uk comes out from christmas.
          steveb
          http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

Comment

Yes Bob I think understand the difference between an L and a T handle and I do know what they look like having seen many different tools before. I would imagine a T handle is more like the tool I have for uncorking my wine bottles!

Thank you for the information on this. I will look into it. So far I have not had trouble changing the blades. I guess it's what I got used to from the beginning. I wasn't spoiled and I don't realize the difference probably.
            Next time I am at a store where they have scrollsaws I will check them out.
            Dragon
            Owner of a Dewalt 788
            PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

I totally understand about learning to use what you've got! I was just getting my DIY fix and problemsoving a fix <GRIN>

Bob
              www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Thanks for the information and when the saw comes back I will check it closer. Actually when the new saw comes in I will check it.
                Dragon
                Owner of a Dewalt 788
                PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

You can use an old clothes peg on the allen key too.
                  Slide it over the shorter shank and tape it in place. They are cheap enough that even if you break them you have a dozen or more left in the package
                  CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                  "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                  Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Originally posted by stevebuk
                    has someone got an opinion on this one i am following :
                    http://www.diytools.co.uk/Product.as.../72/1486!01373
                    thank you
                    That saw was demonstrated at an exhibition a couple of years ago and it was impressive for the price. It's on special offer here.

Gill
                    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Originally posted by Gill
                      That saw was demonstrated at an exhibition a couple of years ago and it was impressive for the price. It's on special offer here.

Gill
                      Gill -

I think your link is to the older model which got a very mixed reception? The 01357 is the old one and then they came back with the much more civilised 01373 which was reported as having very little vibration?

Chris
                      Last edited by chrispuzzle; 12-28-2006, 11:26 AM.
                      "If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

Saws: AWSF18, Meccano Mk II

Comment

You may well be right, Chris. Definitely steer clear of the older model - I also saw that demonstrated and it wasn't pretty !

Gill
                        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

HI Steve,

do you know if the Delta saw comes with a stand? I hear that this help reduce vibration. I'm in the same boat as you and can't decide between the Hegner 16", Delta 16" and the Dremel Scroll Station,

Peter

Comment

hi peter
                            i have looked around their site and i cant see a stand with it. Someone may sell one though, although i intend to bolt mine down, i will put down rubber first, then bolt it over the top. I do not like the scrollsaw as a tool, i am rather scared of it, and have no confidence at all. I use my bandsaw ok, router and all other tools, but having tried the scrollsaw a few years back, i just couldn't master it, mind you, it was a cheap naffy one.
                            let me know waht you choose.
                            steveb
                            http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

Comment

delt saw ?

have the P-20 and it had a stand with it but think it was extra seems like around 50.00 has wheels and is nice to move around the shop Jerry

Comment

Hi Steve,
                                If it is of any help to you , i am in southwell (not far away from you )
                                i have a delta variable speed saw , and you are welcome to try it out if you like to come over ,verry little vibration, i dont fix mine down , it's to heavy to move around much.

-------------Frank--------------

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X