Intarsia Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intarsia Help

What is a sanding star? We have bunches of dried up star fish on the coast but I don't think they would work to good.
    Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
    Jean De La Bruyere...

l
    Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

wood...

what kind of wood and what grit of sand papper are you using?
      I sand with the grain...

Trout
      Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
      Fish are food, not friends!

Comment

here is a picture of the sanding star

I put mine on the drill press and that leaves my hands free to maneuvre my work around.

Here is the link for LeeValley for the information on the star.
        http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...25&cat=1,42500
        Dragon
        Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
        Owner of a Dewalt 788
        PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Hi,

Your sanding star is also known as a sanding mop.

I suggest you visit this site http://www.stockroomsupply.com/The_Sanding_Mop.php in order to get information on it's proper use. It will explain on how to have one that is aggressive or one that is softer in nature by using spacers (garden hose washers are good spacers).

And yes, hard grain and soft grain can sand differently as they don't have the same density. But I suspect that your sanding was a bit too aggressive and caused the problem. You may want to use a cabinet scraper (if you have one) to bring the high points to the same level as the low points, otherwise you will need to be creative in coming up with a sanding block that is flexible enough to follow contour, yet stiff enough no to follow ridges in order to sand down the high points.

Good luck to you,
          Marcel
          http://marleb.com
          DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel in Longueuil
            Hi,
            Your sanding star is also known as a sanding mop.
            Im not sure they're absolutely identical, Marcel - though similar for sure. I've seen both the Lee Valley and the Stockroom one lately because i'd been considering buying one or the other .

AFAICR the Lee Valley one is "flatter" and the Stockroom one is more "mop-like" because of its use of spacers. I don't think the Lee Valley one can be made to look as "mop-like" but please correct me if I'm wrong ...

The LV one is cheaper...
            Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

I understand that you can use starfish for sanding driftwood, but that's about it. hehe.
              John Patrick, Bird Oasis
              www.birdoasis.com
              Using Dewalt DW788. Working on a new line of birdhouses and bird feeders for the store.

I welcome any and all ideas for bird friendly scrolling.

Comment

Ian,

They seem to be the same.

The LeeValley one just doesn't have the spacers in it to create the mop like effect.

Stockroomsupply also offer the same type(you just don't insert the spacers) and even has stabilizing rings to make it even more aggressive if you want.

That is why I had inserted the link: so you could see the different models, and the methods on how to obtain them.

They also have good tips on what grades to use for what wood, and they offer them in sizes from 1" to 6" (the 1" fits a Dremmel, the 1.5" fits rotary tools like the Foredom, the 4 and 6" fit Press drills or 1/4 to 1/2 hp motor shafts with an adaptor)

Visit their site, they have good tips and nice stuff.

Regards,
                Marcel
                Regards,
                Marcel
                http://marleb.com
                DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim McDonald
                  Reply to Demo display
                  by Jim McDonald
                  If you just do a Google search for 3d reindeer ornament, you should get several choices....
                  Today, 03:41 PM
                • Jim McDonald
                  Reply to Woodgrain Worked Against Me
                  by Jim McDonald
                  Woodgrain is like a straw sucking in the pigment, but I think you did a good job on a complex piece. Lots of patience for this pattern.
                  Today, 01:42 PM
                • Rodney Brown
                  by Rodney Brown
                  Thanks Rolf,
                  I actually tried painting the inside of the cuts before removing the pattern and tape. I initially used packing tape because I was out of painters tape. When I sprayed the cuts, apparently the paint bled into the fibers of the wood. But I have to say I have been redeemed by my wife....
                  Today, 12:56 PM
                • Rolf
                  by Rolf
                  Nice project, I really like the design. You did use a tough piece of material, I would normally suggest cutting at least 3 layers of 1/8 BB because you will get requests of them. I am curious as to why you got some black bleeding into the grain? Is this mounted on a black backer ?
                  Today, 08:56 AM
                • Rodney Brown
                  Woodgrain Worked Against Me
                  by Rodney Brown
                  This is my latest project and I'm still up in the air about it. The wood was reclaimed from a table that someone had thrown away. It is 3/4 MDF with veneer on both sides. The project is 11 x 14 and is pretty heavy. The pattern was from "Grandpa" and I believe his real name is Paul. I used...
                  Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                Working...
                X