Intarsia Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intarsia Help

What is a sanding star? We have bunches of dried up star fish on the coast but I don't think they would work to good.
    Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
    Jean De La Bruyere...

l
    Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

wood...

what kind of wood and what grit of sand papper are you using?
      I sand with the grain...

Trout
      Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
      Fish are food, not friends!

Comment

here is a picture of the sanding star

I put mine on the drill press and that leaves my hands free to maneuvre my work around.

Here is the link for LeeValley for the information on the star.
        http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...25&cat=1,42500
        Dragon
        Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
        Owner of a Dewalt 788
        PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Hi,

Your sanding star is also known as a sanding mop.

I suggest you visit this site http://www.stockroomsupply.com/The_Sanding_Mop.php in order to get information on it's proper use. It will explain on how to have one that is aggressive or one that is softer in nature by using spacers (garden hose washers are good spacers).

And yes, hard grain and soft grain can sand differently as they don't have the same density. But I suspect that your sanding was a bit too aggressive and caused the problem. You may want to use a cabinet scraper (if you have one) to bring the high points to the same level as the low points, otherwise you will need to be creative in coming up with a sanding block that is flexible enough to follow contour, yet stiff enough no to follow ridges in order to sand down the high points.

Good luck to you,
          Marcel
          http://marleb.com
          DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel in Longueuil
            Hi,
            Your sanding star is also known as a sanding mop.
            Im not sure they're absolutely identical, Marcel - though similar for sure. I've seen both the Lee Valley and the Stockroom one lately because i'd been considering buying one or the other .

AFAICR the Lee Valley one is "flatter" and the Stockroom one is more "mop-like" because of its use of spacers. I don't think the Lee Valley one can be made to look as "mop-like" but please correct me if I'm wrong ...

The LV one is cheaper...
            Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

I understand that you can use starfish for sanding driftwood, but that's about it. hehe.
              John Patrick, Bird Oasis
              www.birdoasis.com
              Using Dewalt DW788. Working on a new line of birdhouses and bird feeders for the store.

I welcome any and all ideas for bird friendly scrolling.

Comment

Ian,

They seem to be the same.

The LeeValley one just doesn't have the spacers in it to create the mop like effect.

Stockroomsupply also offer the same type(you just don't insert the spacers) and even has stabilizing rings to make it even more aggressive if you want.

That is why I had inserted the link: so you could see the different models, and the methods on how to obtain them.

They also have good tips on what grades to use for what wood, and they offer them in sizes from 1" to 6" (the 1" fits a Dremmel, the 1.5" fits rotary tools like the Foredom, the 4 and 6" fit Press drills or 1/4 to 1/2 hp motor shafts with an adaptor)

Visit their site, they have good tips and nice stuff.

Regards,
                Marcel
                Regards,
                Marcel
                http://marleb.com
                DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                  Bruce, the one on probation
                  by will8989
                  is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                  Today, 12:59 AM
                • will8989
                  Sundays market
                  by will8989
                  When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                  Today, 12:46 AM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                  by will8989
                  I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                  Today, 12:27 AM
                • jim_mex
                  Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                  by jim_mex
                  Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                  Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                • KarlB
                  Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                  by KarlB
                  Very well done!

Karl
                  Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                Working...
                X