Changed Blade am boy am I sorry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed Blade am boy am I sorry

OK- I am not trying to start off a new blade debate. I respect all of your personal choices. I am just relaying an experience I had this weekend. Maybe chalk it up to too many hours in the shop (not possible unless you are up against a deadline), I don't know.

All of my scrolling this past year has been with FD skip tooth blades. I have been working on 9 of the Kathy Wise fall leaf frames for the past several weeks and things have been humming along nicely. I was running out of these blades and was looking forward to trying the Olsons I got at the open house in September.

When I switched, it was like I was using a different saw!

First - I know that blade thickness with the same number blade between manufacturers is different but I did not realize how much. This is a shame and I think we need to start a campaign to standardize blade thickness.

Second - These blades were a whole lot louder! The blade was really chirping against the maple I was cutting.

Third - I could not control the cut. I tried slowing the speed down and everything else I have learned on this forum. I had to walk away I was so frustrated.

I will make sure I have enough blades of the same manufacturer to complete an entire project for now on. And I may have the better part of a 1/2 gross of #5 skip reverse blades for someone soon if I still don't like them when I try again.
    Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Hey Dan- Funny how when we have "bad" blades we tend not to use them except in a pinch- I have a few - well okay a couple of dozen from before I found FDB but when I get to my last couple of dozen of fds I start to go into a panic and worry about running out - I have "others" but I just don't know if I will ever feel at home with anything else-- now if I can just figure out how to keep the blades sharp longer ---grrrr
    Sharon

Comment

OK now you have done it! Let the blade wars begin
      Just kidding, I guess it all depends on what you get used to using.
      I do most of my cutting with 2 and 2/0 Olson blades. I tried the 2/0 FD and can't follow a line if my life depended on it.
      Within each manufacturers blade inventory I have found blades that I really like because I have gotten used to how they cut. I love my Olson 2 and 2/0 and their PGT series and now the #3 reverse Machined(milled) blades.
      I like several of the Pegas modified geometry and the only spiral I use is the New FD 2/0.
      I would suspect that the lower end blades from any manufacturer may be problematic.
      Bottom line is that we love the blades that we get used to using and have learned to compensate for their quirks. I never change in mid stream.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

UhOh here we go, just kidding. I am using the olson pgt no. 457 univ.no. 7rg. I have used several other brands to compare and keep coming back to olson. I myself have not had any problem with noise or being able to control a cut also I have never needed to sand a cut. I bottom feed my blades on my delta 40-650 and usually break a blade before wearing it completely out. I am cutting mostly 5-8th thickness in maple, redoak & hickory. Just my two cents. Steve
        If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
        My Gallery
        [email protected]

Comment

Hey there Steve-- try loosing your tension a tad and it will stop you from breaking blades so often
          Love ya-
          Sharon

Comment

Thanks Sharon, but I believe that it is from bending the blades so often while bottom feeding them through so many small holes. I have my tension about as little as I can. Thanks again for the suggestion though. Steve
            If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
            My Gallery
            [email protected]

Comment

I'm still waiting for someone to modify a saw to handle a chain saw blade...man that would be something.
              Jeff Powell

Comment

Originally posted by SharonW0111
                I get to my last couple of dozen of fds I start to go into a panic and worry about running out
                Sharon
                Sharon, I thought I was the only one who did that!

Comment

I think Rolf hit it on the nose. It all depends on what you get used to. I've tried all 3 of the major brands and keep coming back to Olson #0 for my 1/4" portrait work. They are a little sturdier and don't bend as easy when making sharp turns. I find them much easier to control and less likely to break. However, when cutting 1/2" hardwood I find the Pegas #3 the blade to go to, especially for straight lines. I think the smartest thing to do is find one you like and stick with it. Each type and brand of blade has it's own characteristics, as does each scroll sawyer. Better to get efficient with 1 or 2 blades than to be halfass with several.
                  Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                  www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Wel, as a relative newbie to scrolling, the only blades I've tried are Olson's and those sold at Lowes/HomeDepot. I mostly use the Olson 2R and the only control issues I have are due to inexperience. Olson's does provide a blade chart which indicates blade thickness so at least you know what you're dealing with. My hearing has been bad for years so I can't comment on loudness. I'm able to get pretty good control with a fresh blade. Unless I slip, square corners and tight V's are not a problem.
                    Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
                    Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

As far as noise is concerned, I've never noticed any difference between blades. The only time my blade knocks or chirps is if I don't have it secured in the clamps correctly or tensioned properly.
                      Mike

Comment

I've been using olsons and I have had some control problems. I've been chalking it upto inexperiance and impatience.

I get so frustrated when my curves come out streight, and my ovals look like I was cutting with a bent saw or something.

maybe I'd better try the FDB. Where do you get them?
                        John Patrick, Bird Oasis
                        www.birdoasis.com
                        Using Dewalt DW788. Working on a new line of birdhouses and bird feeders for the store.

I welcome any and all ideas for bird friendly scrolling.

Comment

Originally posted by BirdOasis[RIGHT
                          ][/RIGHT]I've been using olsons and I have had some control problems. I've been chalking it upto inexperiance and impatience.

I get so frustrated when my curves come out streight, and my ovals look like I was cutting with a bent saw or something.

maybe I'd better try the FDB. Where do you get them?
                          John, if your curves are coming out straight, you probably aren't turning the wood at the right pace. It's hard to explain, but the faster you cut, the faster you have to turn the wood and vice versa. Also, if your ovals look that bad, your blade probably needs tightening. A blade that is too loose will wander, and that aint good.

Practice makes perfect, at least a little closer.
                          Mike

Comment

I am sure that if I kept at it the Olson blades would be fine once I adjusted. My point was just that the behavior of the blade was much different than what I was used to and my project suffered because of it. Another lesson learned.
                            Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

Mike Dingas,

I haven't looked lately but last time I priced them, you could get blades MUCH MUCH cheaper by mail order than by buying at Lowe's or Home Depot--no matter what brand you like! I'm talking like 5 times cheaper. Hope that helps

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X