Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble cutting with Porter Cable

Hello,
    I'm using the Porter Cable 16 " from lowes and I'm having problems cutting into the wood. The blade just seems to gnaw at the boards never cutting. I've sifted through many threads and googled my self to death and cant get it to work properly.

My table is level, my blade is installed with teeth facing down,tension is maxed out with less than 1/8th movement in any direction. I have a range of TPI blades from 7 to 22. I'm working with material 1/4 to 3/4 and it was a nightmare getting it to cut through a piece of 1/4 yellowheart and it barely makes a dent into a piece of 3/4 poplar with a 7 TPI blade.

I'm just not sure if its the blade mechanism or the table top that is not level from front to back. Here is what I have found and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. When lightly feeding a piece into the blade I can tell that blade pulls away from the board on the down stroke. I confirmed this using a speed square on the table, turning the machine by hand and watched the blade move towards the back of the machine on the down stroke. I've tried tightening the blade in all types of positions thinking it was the blade misaligned due to me tightening the set screws but nothing seems to fix the problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and hopefully I can get back to work .

Thanks

My saw which is the same as yours done the same thing after I first used it. What I did was realign the blade holders where they conect to the arms I also while doing that made sure every point that could be loosened and tighten I checked it all out without taken the saw apart. Once I done that it worked great even better than it did from the start. Now once a week or month depending on how much use I check all them things out and some are always a little loose. Not sure if this is the same problem you're having but this may help your problem. Ever since I tighten everything I've had no problems and love the saw. Only thing I don't like it the throat depth. It works great for the price and depth. Hope you get it figured out soon.
    "Keep Scrolling Along"
    Chris "The WoodArtist"
    https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodArtistWoodShop

Comment

I bet your blade is leaning

I pm ed you w/ a quick test ? let me know the results
      "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
      Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Not all blades are created equal. Blades that come with the saw or that are sold by one of the BORGS or your local hardware store typically won't cut butter on a warm day. Try some quality blades. MOST of us use Flying Dutchman or Olsen blades. My choice is Fly Dutchman that I get here:

Mike's Workshop English featuring: my life story, a cancer survivor, scrollsawing samples and tips, community service, list of favorite sites and Flying Dutchman fretsaw blades for sale.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I definitely point to the blades. I also use FD, though have also used Pegasus.

One other thought, make sure teeth are pointing forward and down.
          Steve in Richmond, VA with a DW-788

Comment

That front to back blade motion actually makes the saw more agressive in its cut.
            It sounds like crap blades to me. get some good FD or Olson blades.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks all for the replies. Last night I checked all the bolts and did find that the bolt on the lower arm connecting to the motor cam was really loose. After tightening it seemed to improve the saws vibration but the cuts were the same.

I have an array of blades from the BORGS but I do have some Olsens that didn't do much better.

I finally broke down today and unbolted the saw from my bench and exchanged it. I just fired up the new saw and it cuts just fine. I hope it settles down though, it has a lot more motor surging and vibration than the last one.

I've looked at the FD blades online many of times just haven't pulled the trigger to buy any yet. Any suggestions on blade/TPI for 3/4 hard woods. Most of my projects will be 3 layers of 1/4 laminated together. My cuts are soft radius's, nothing to intricate. Lots of sanding and shaping afterwards so a little bit of a rough cut isn't a problem.

Comment

Swap out best solution

Thats the best ,check your sq ,four ways ,mostly for a reference ,for later so you know if anything lossen or changes you have a comparison ,from new .
                Solid bolting on solid table or bench will keep vibs .down .glad your up and running .
                "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
                Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Originally posted by suhreman View Post
                  Thanks all for the replies. Last night I checked all the bolts and did find that the bolt on the lower arm connecting to the motor cam was really loose. After tightening it seemed to improve the saws vibration but the cuts were the same.

I have an array of blades from the BORGS but I do have some Olsens that didn't do much better.

I finally broke down today and unbolted the saw from my bench and exchanged it. I just fired up the new saw and it cuts just fine. I hope it settles down though, it has a lot more motor surging and vibration than the last one.

I've looked at the FD blades online many of times just haven't pulled the trigger to buy any yet. Any suggestions on blade/TPI for 3/4 hard woods. Most of my projects will be 3 layers of 1/4 laminated together. My cuts are soft radius's, nothing to intricate. Lots of sanding and shaping afterwards so a little bit of a rough cut isn't a problem.

For that wood I use the # 5 Ultra Reverse Blades from FD. If you prefer a large blade you can go to the #7. The reverse design helps to eliminate a lot of sanding.
                  Scott

Comment

I've never had the cutting problem that you have with my PC but I have had the vibration problem and noticed that my saw will vibrate more if I have the blade tension too tight or too loose. There seems to be a "sweet spot" with the tension on my saw because when I have it adjusted right I don't have any vibration. Mine also had the motor surge when it was new but got less and less as I used it till now it does'nt do it at all. I also have to agree with everyone else that your cutting problem sound more like the blades than the saw.
                    It's only a mistake if someone saw you do it.

It's not about what saw you drive. It's about the skill you drive it with.

Jim

Comment

I have the same PC saw - use FD Blades and cut a lot of 3/4" Popular in my Puzzles, Word Art and Trivets, with no problems. I would look at the blades also. Good Luck!
                      ichibob
                      aka - Bob, USAF Ret.
                      www.grandpaswoodshed.com

Comment

I have a PORTOR CABLE 18 inch scroll Saw, and no matter what speed I run it at, it reveals up and down in speed. Any suggestions ?

Comment

Originally posted by Les Hurst View Post
                          I have a PORTOR CABLE 18 inch scroll Saw, and no matter what speed I run it at, it reveals up and down in speed. Any suggestions ?
                          Welcome to the forum Les. Does it change speeds even if you are not cutting wood or only when cutting something? If both then it sounds like you have a bad speed control unit.
                          Scott

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
                            Reply to Phone call from son.
                            by meflick
                            Glad to hear your son is fine Betty but what a scary thing.
                            Today, 01:10 PM
                          • meflick
                            Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                            by meflick
                            Welcome to the forum from another Tennessean....
                            Today, 01:04 PM
                          • John Smith
                            by John Smith
                            Thanks guys, I have a lot of HDU left over from my sign business in various thicknesses.
                            HDU doesn't "fuse" or repair itself under heat or friction. Only acrylics and some PVC materials do that. Depending on what part of the world you are in, you would have to google HDU Distributors...
                            Today, 10:01 AM
                          • Jim McDonald
                            Reply to Phone call from son.
                            by Jim McDonald
                            My kids always call me since I am the one who probably did the stuff they are calling about.

I know it's scary to get that call, but I'm glad to hear the charge exited where it did before it went any further.

Probably hurts like hell and he has a copper taste in his mouth...
                            Today, 09:52 AM
                          • Sandy Oaks
                            by Sandy Oaks
                            Welcome to the forum from TN. As a Pegas Distributor, Pegas has the Super Skip blades which works perfectly with acrylics at a reduced speed.
                            Today, 09:40 AM
                          Working...
                          X