• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling holes and inside cuts

Hi
    Two question about cutting patterns
    -Where you drill blade holes.
    -And when inside cuts are close together.

When I drill holes for inside cuts . The back side of the wood is not a
    clean hole the wood fractured. Would this be caused from to slow of a speed .
    How to keep this from happening, have a backer board that you drill into.

when the inside holes are very close together pieces of the wood between the holes
    chip out. The stock that I an using is Baltic Birch. Do you have any solutions to
    keep this form happening.

Jim R

Hi Jim;
    I think you basically answered your own question.
    Very high speed for drilling those small holes and a backer board should solve your problems.
    Rule of thumb for drilling is the smaller the bit the higher the speed. I have a 16 speed drill press and when I am using those tiny drill bits it is set on speed 16and cuts through the wood like cheese with clean holes top and bottom.
    On the other hand , when I am drilling 2" or 3" holes with forstner bits I use the slowest speed.

For the second part of your question I am not sure if you are referring to drilling or sawing . If it is in regards to sawing you need to use a blade with reverse teeth on the bottom end. The top choices on the market for them seem to be Pegas and Olson and FD. You may also be using too thick a blade . A finer blade with more tpi should solve that problem. Take your time and let the blade do the cutting and you should be fine.

W.Y.
    Last edited by William Young (SE BC); 12-01-2006, 10:44 PM.
    http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Jim,

You didn't say what diameter drill you're using, but probably 1/16" would be best most of the time unless you are making very fine cuts, in which case you'll want to refer to your blade specs to see what the minimum hole diameter must be. Very small drill bits like these shouldn't cause much tear-out, if any.

Also wanted to mention that reverse blades don't work well on single thicknesses of thin wood, like less than 1/2". If you are cutting 1/4" BB, a regular 2/0 skip tooth blade will polish the edges very nicely and leave just a bit of fuzz on the bottom that will knock right off with 180 grit paper.

Pete

Comment

When drilling entry holes for fret work, I don't understand why tearout is an issue. It's just an entry hole and the piece with the tearout will be cut away. Unless you're drilling so close to the cut line, that the tearout is on the cut line, then I would suggest a smaller drill bit.
        Not much help, just an observation.
        Marsha
        LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

sawdustus of hiawatha

Jim,

Small bits use high speed
          A backer board helps a lot
          Don't drill too close to the cut line (sometimes impossible)

I would add:

As you near the end of the hole, don't force the drill press downwards. Ease up on the pressure as your drill bit breaks through.

USE SHARP BITS. - These little guys as cheap enough to throw away rather that trying to extend their life or resharpen them.
          A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
          George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

to prevent tear outs in drilled holes-- place a scrap piece of wood under your project- then let the drill bit go into that -for some odd reason this will prevent tear outs- and as far as holes to close together -- try to make sure you can keep them a safe distance from each other-- this is easier when sawing too
            Sharon

Comment

Originally posted by Marsha
              When drilling entry holes for fret work, I don't understand why tearout is an issue. It's just an entry hole and the piece with the tearout will be cut away. Unless you're drilling so close to the cut line, that the tearout is on the cut line, then I would suggest a smaller drill bit.
              Not much help, just an observation.
              Marsha
              Jim,
              You've already gotten good advise so I'll leave that alone.

Marsha,
              To answer your question, I often cut patterns where the drill bit size is essentially the same size as the cut out and the bridge between the cuts is smaller than that so it can be an issue with very intricate patterns.
              Kevin
              Scrollsaw Patterns Online
              Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Could saw speed be a factor in the tearout? I, too, use a Craftsman 16" VS and normally have the speed set at less than half.
                Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
                Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

Mike, you must be experiencing tearout while cutting. I don't see how the saw speed can be relevant. I used to use a Dremel and always had the speed set at half or below. If it's a problem, you should try reverse tooth blades. I use pretty much all regular skiptooth because portraits are my thing. Portraits require a backer so tearout isn't an issue here. I just take my palm sander over the back afterwards and anything else will never be seen.
                  Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                  www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

My two cents...

If you are experiencing tearout could the problem possibly be that your work is chattering? When your sawing be sure your work is staying flat on the table top.
                    Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Using Cardstock to prevent blowout

I was looking through a book on scroll saw basics, I think it's the popular Machanics book.

Anyway have a piece of card stock which you can get an any office supply store, you'll prevent blowout, or tear out.

John Patrick, www.birdoasis.com
                      John Patrick, Bird Oasis
                      www.birdoasis.com
                      Using Dewalt DW788. Working on a new line of birdhouses and bird feeders for the store.

I welcome any and all ideas for bird friendly scrolling.

Comment

Hi this is Lucky's wife Linda..I just joined the other day to learn a few things so I can start working alone with out Dale. Dale told me that I have blow outs because I am going through the back to fast...he told me to go slow as I go through and that the backer board would help. Most of the blow out is cut out on larger holes but some of the tiny areas I end up screwing up my piece. Hope you don't mind me telling you what I am told, and I hope it helps.

Comment

Linda, Did you smack Dale for me? You know, sometimes no matter what you do you are going to have tearout. The wood could be soft, the drill bit could be just slightly dull, are you using the pointed drill bit this makes a difference, the wood too hard, etc. etc. I use drill bits from Lee Valley or MSC. They are pointed, sharp, strong and last. A little more expensive but worth the extra money.

Betty
                          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Dont tell her that I put the drillbit in upside down when Im done using it. LOL
                            and Betty, quit giving her advice, my eyes are both blackened!!!
                            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Originally posted by will8989
                              I use drill bits from Lee Valley or MSC. They are pointed,
                              Betty
                              That always helps Betty ...

(Glad Betty doesn't know anyone in NS to smack me!)
                              Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by will8989
                                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by NC Scroller
                                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                                Yesterday, 07:42 AM
                              Working...
                              X