Christmas Presents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Presents

As Christmas looms large, it's time to write lists for Santa. What would you like to see him deliver to you, and what do you think would make good presents for other scrollers?

Are you making Christmas presents with your scrollsaw this year, and who are you making them for?

Gill (who's racking her brains with increasing desperation )
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

all my Christmas gifts this year are going to be made from scrollings bout 1/2 way done I think but am way behind schedule finally got all my tools and hardware unpacked since we aren't moving
    Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

I made my grown children a variety of ornaments according to instructions from the wife. I also made my new grandson a plaque cut out of walnut with an acrylic gold mirror backer that says "Logan's Room". My mother asked me to make that for her to give to him. I also cut my kids and their spouses name key chains. Other than that, my wife takes care of the Christmas shopping. Besides that, I've been keeping fairly busy filling orders for cash. In the last month the local christian gift store has sold about $90 worth of my merchandise and a cafe sold just 1 portrait of John Wayne. My bother, who lives in Missouri, has an acquaintance that loves these portraits and is buying them from me and reselling. I have no idea how much he is getting for them and I don't really care. I'm getting what I want out of them. The gift store only keeps 20%, so to help them out, I'm going to scroll 50 BB ply ornaments for them and let them have them for 50c each as a give away for a promotion they're going to have in a couple weeks. They are in a lousy location and I thought if they could give something away, more people would make the effort to find them. It could be good for them and me.

Sorry I got led astray. Santa doesn't really need to bring me anything. I can't think of a thing I need that bad. I pretty much have everything I need for scrolling and anything else I want, he couldn't afford.
      Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 11-18-2006, 06:59 PM.
      Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
      www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Daryl-- Personally I am glad you aren't moving cause then you wouldn't be here with us..-- I know I am a little selfish aren't I?
        Gill I am getting a new set of fireplace tools - which is what I asked for. I had gas logs in my fireplace for the last ten years and never used them. Having a big screen tv- a fireplace that I couldn't afford to burn just took something away-Well the other day Tony and I took out the old gas logs and all the junk that goes with it and my best friend brought me a load of small logs, I made her daughter ( who by the way signed last Tuesday for a full 3 year scolarship for softball at UTA ) a nuns habit last week . So she said how much I owe you and I asked for wood.
        I have made her husband the deer night light in our mag and put a background behind it and dry brushed some color in it- geourgous and I made her a fretwork basket for her bath and I will fill it with salts and bathbeads and such. My Grandaughter is getting the backpack by sue My first and I am having a ball learning how to do that intarsia type woodwork. We are giving her daughter the pick of the litter ( our stud fee ) from Veto and another female that "Visited" last week. My Mom wants me to make her some pants out of the closet full of material I won't use anylonger - since I quit quilting and only sew my cloths out of comfy knits now -- and poor Tony is going to get a tri-fold bilfold since Veto carried his out in the rain..He he --good dog.
        And that is my Christmas all except I want to find the mascot for UTA and do a intarsia for Lindly so she will have something under the tree ( which I don't put up) besides a IOU one puppy.
        And for all my family and friends here I have the biggest hug you ever felt- and a big All-- just because you are all so very special to me.
        Sharon
        Last edited by SharonW0111; 11-18-2006, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Daryl-- Personally I am glad you aren't moving cause then you wouldn't be here with us..-- I know I am a little selfish aren't I?
          na not at all besides we would not have gotten my wife's dollar an hour raise and also the moving money we had saved up just bought my new saw told the wife thats my christmas gift from her
          Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

Christmas wish list for me as a scroller:
            blades
            That's it I have everything else I need! I don't want tools, maybe some books, because you can never have enough books. The ultimate gift would be, a gift certificate for a clean shop!

I will be making a few presents this year. The 12 days of Christmas ornaments for my brother's family and a couple of Welsh LoveSpoons.
            Thats about it. I would love to do more but I don't think I have time.
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

As far as making gifts, I have 2 nieces that have already started dropping hints ("I wonder what Uncle Kevin's going to make me this year"). One's a horse fanatic and the other loves dolphins. Last year it was trinket boxes. This year I'm going to design shelves with these themes for them (I need to get started pretty soon I guess).

As far as what I want, I was going to say a Washburn Acoustic/Electric 12 string but after thinking about it all I want for Christmas is for my sister-in-law to survive her surgery next week (not good odds). I've known her my entire life.
              Kevin
              Scrollsaw Patterns Online
              Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Kev-- My prayers are for your sister-in-law until she is out of surgery and feeling good again. That is very sweet and unselfish of you to make her health your Christmas wish.. I'll bet the man upstairs will get your request ..
                Sharon

Comment

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your sister-in-law, Kevin. Let's hope you get your Christmas wish a little bit early.

Gill
                  There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                  (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Gill,

What I would like and what will happen are two different things... but if I'm going all out, I'd like a Drum Sander, Planer and a new Table Saw.

I'm only making a few gifts... Two "Swing Wing" planes from the last issue for my nephew's (they just need painting) and two Barbie Sized victorian beds for my best friends girls. I'm also going to do about 10 puzzle Christmas cards to some special folks in our lives.

Comment

Besides the obvious "Good health and fortune" for my family and scrolling friends.

I have all the tools I want except for an oscillating spidle sander. I will be getting into Intarsia big time next year. Jeff has been a serious inspiration "Thanks Alot Jeff".

I thing new pattern books and for some of the new scrollers a saw Upgrade would be a great present.
                      I hope my next comment doesn't offend anyone.

For all of the people using the low end saws and doing amazing work I may add, a higher end saw would take your skills to an entirely new level that you can't appreciate until you do it.

I speak from experience.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Gill,
                        I am making a couple of crosses to give as presents for christmas and Birthday presents. I have just started making ornaments to give to family and friends. My wish list includes a bandsaw, router and the Jeff Zafino instructional dvd.
                        Bill
                        Delta P-20

Comment

I'm making jigsaw puzzles for a couple of old friends, and also for my sister.

Pete

Comment

I'm hoping for a Dewalt 618 router combo kit for Christmas this year.

I make dozens of ornaments to give away to family & friends every year. Going to try something a little different this year and do compound cut ornaments for the first time. Haven't started them yet.

For gifts, I'm making 5 of the lichterbogen nativity scenes from the latest SSW magazine. I just started to cut the BB to size for that today.

I know I have a lot to do and not much time left. Fortunately I have a few days vacation coming over the next couple weeks and intend to accumulate a lot of shop time. Wish me luck.
                            Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

After 3 miscarriages, the recent being a set of twins, all I want is for my daughter to have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy grandchild in June . And for the doctors to find out what is wrong with my left leg/hip so I can walk more than 4 steps without pain!! 2 MRIs & Xrays later I still don't have any answers!! Other than that, a jointer would be nice .
                              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X