Need Major help learning how to use saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Major help learning how to use saw

Hi again. Well I got red of the Gyrizzly saw and now have a Dremel 1680 variable speed 16 inch saw.
    My problem is I have never used a scroll saw befor so I'm having trouble getting started. I'm having trouble getting my blades in after I put them thru a drilled hole to do a cutout.
    Should I be putting the top or bottom of the blade in first and is there a easy way to get the bottom part in? I can get the top in ok, but having a lot of trouble with the bottom part.
    What are some good patterns to start with? What wood should I start with? I have been trying to use 1/4' poplar plywood. Is there a good book that I should start with?
    Are there any Dremel users that can help me? I would appericate any and all suggestions. I am a woodburner and would like to combine the two. My e-mail is [email protected]
    Thanks Jane
    Jane

Re: Need Major help learning how to use saw

just take one end of the blade loose..the easiest one to put back....you don't have to completely take the blade out to put thru the board...

Comment

Jane, let me first say calm down. Your post seems a bit uptight. Remember the golden rule of scrolling relax and have fun. Scrolling is not a timed event. As for the type of saw you are using I am not familiar with but that doesn't matter. You have to get to know your saw. Like Hi-Ho says there is no need to take both ends of the blade out. With that saw I am sure it is a bottom feed saw which means you install the blade in the bottom holder and leave it in place when doing fret work(drill holes and threading the blade through the holes). Bottom feeding is when you thread the blade through the holes from the bottom of the work piece. This takes a little used to doing but after awhile you will get the hang of it. Then you pull the top arm down and feed blade into the top holder and tighten screw. I don't know how this is held in place but what they ussually are are thumb screws. Set the tension and saw away. When that section is completed release the tension, release the top blade holder leaving the bottom holder in place. Thread the blade through the next hole and repeat procedure. There are many good starters books out there. Patrick Speilman is the Guru of scrolling. John Nelson has some very good books. You can find them in any book store, library, or on line(Fox Chapel Books). Another good place to get scrolling info and probably can answer more of you questions and do it better is www.scrollsaws.com and www.mikeworkshop.com. Both these sites are very helpful and full of information already printed out. Also when you need blades Mikes Flying Dutchman blades are the best blades on the market today. One other thing most people start with plain old pine or baltic birch plywood. As far as finding patterns Wildwood designs has a ton of patterns. A lot of people when first starting take a kids coloring book and use that to practice the art of scrolling. Really the more you do it the easier it gets so enjoy and Good Luck!!!!
      John T.

Comment

Hi Jane, I just got a Delta scrollsaw single speed. I did have several other brands but for awhile I got out of wood working. Sold all my tools too. Now I am back into it. I looked at the Dremel scrollsaw and it is a far better saw than the one I just got. Mine was about half the price of the one you got. I had a heck of a time puting the blade in it and that was without threading it thru a little hole in a big piece of wood. The blade is in its holders but that's about it. I won't be taking the blade out again unless I break it. Some of the other saws I had were really easy to install the blade in the holders. Oh well, good luck.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have just gotten Scroll Saw Basic by Patrick Spielman. I'm starting to relax a little more and just play with my saw. I'm sure I will have better luck with my blades now because I don't have any trouble getting the top one in , only the bottom. I also have silhouette patterns by Patrick Spielman & James Reidle.

Any suggestions on what wood a beginner should start with?

Jane
          Jane

Comment

get some 1/8 plywood, or some 1/4 or 3/8 basswood and just see what you can do....you can also get some spiral blades, you will be amazed at what you can do with them. Look up cherrytree, wildwood, scroller, winfield, sloans woodshop, all areas you can get the wood and misc you need. they also have patterns.

Comment

You can get the 1/4, 1/4, 1/2 wood at Lowe's, Home depot, Builder's Square, Shuterlands or most lumber yards. Birch plywood in those mentioned 3 thinckness are great for fret or other projects. Woodcraft has them also. Each project you do will gain you experience.
              Relax and have enjoy, above all be safe and have fun.

Comment

Thanks Hi Ho and Kenny. I have some 1/4' poplar plywood, and some of the 1/2' of the same.
                I got a chance to play with my saw last night for awhile and thanks to your advice on the blades I was able to acutally cut some space out. I have some spiral blade and have been using them for the cut outs.
                The more I play with my saw the more I seem to enjoy doing it. So guess the answer to everything is practice!!!!

Jane
                Jane

Comment

Hi Jane, just a word of caution. I have used band saws, meat saws, scroll saws most of my life. I still have all my fingers on both hands. A rule of thumb if you'll pardon the pun, never hold the wood so your fingers are pushing toward the blade. Wood will break, the saw can jump, you can slip, and if your pushing towards the blade with your fingers , there going to go in the blade. A scroll saw will cut off your finger as quickly as a bigger saw. Also the back of the blade will cut you also. Practice pushing your wood through the blade with your fingers not pushing towards the blade, and it will become habit after awhile. :

Comment

Thanks Hugh, I'm am very careful of where my fingers and hand are at all times. I ran machines with blades in a factory for 16 years. Once you have seen a person get a finger cut off on a blade it stays with you the rest of your life. I am also drumming it into my grandson and never let him use the saw unless I'm right there beside him, even tho hes 15.

I cut out a dragon from Patrick Spielmans silhouette patterns book. Cut it out of 1' pine.There is a round spot that is big enough to cut out a place for on of the little inset clocks I keep on hand to use in my woodburning clocks. Came out pretty good.

Jane
                    Jane

Comment

being 15 doesn't mean a lot....a friend I went to high school with was 15 and cut off the first joint of his middle finger on the bandsaw! :-[

Comment

Funny thing about age, don't mean much, some folks wack off a finger or so when they're in their 50's or 60's. My grand dad started me off on power tools before I started school, and I still have all my digits and limbs. I think it has something to do with being cowardly and keeping them out of the way.

Comment

I have to admit I am scared to death of my bandsaw! I have nightmares about it chewing off my fingers. It cuts thru a 2' piece of wood so fast! I'd rather use a scrollsaw and cut a lot slower and keep all my fingers. As it was said, any saw or tool will take a bite out of you.

Comment

Dart, I can't believe a bandsaw will scare you that much. The blade is right there in front of you. The more scaryier saw is the table saw. There is so many things you have to be aware of when cutting with a table saw, pushing the wood , watching for you hands, watching for kickback and other safty things. Now not to make lite of any power saw, safety is the uttmost rule to follow in the shop and that includes wearing all the safety gear. Now that this topic has strayed away from the original post, we should not be scared of the tools but we should respect them. Woodworking in all it's forms is relaxing and enjoyable so let's all work safe and have some fun and build something. Let's not scare Jane away. Give her the words of encouragement!!!!!! JTTHECLOCKMAN
                            John T.

Comment

Hey Dart your right, don't be afraid of your equipment, but respect is the word. I just wanted to emphasize the rule of never pushing toward the blade with your hand. Very easy habit to learn . Another safety rule for me is, never pick a piece of scrap off the band saw table with my hand.(while the saw is running) I have a small stick handy to flick pieces out of the way.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X