how to choose blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to choose blades

Hi all, as a newcomer to this world of scrollsawing, how do i choose the type of blade to use, down here in the south pacific we have a lot of wood ranging from soft to hard
    HELP

Re: how to choose blades

Different saws work better with certain blades and people also have their preferences. Being as how blades are relatively cheap I'd order a dozen of several types and see which I liked best. As to size - try to use a blade that will have three to four teeth in the wood at all times as a general guideline.

Comment

My Dewalt came with a nice selection of blades; 6 blades, 10 of each, I think. Woodcraft carried that package of blades for about $20.00. It's worth the money to get started and try some different blades.

Comment

Hi Buzza,

Had trouble with the site, would have answered sooner.

G0 to: www.mikesworkshop.com. Click on 'Selecting a Blade' and 'Q & A'. You will find a lot of good information. Go also to the accessory page, you find a book from John nelaon, it is one of the better once to learn scroll sawing. If you order the assortment pack you can even save $ 3.00.
        If you have any questions, just email Mike.

UHMNL

Comment

I agree, talk to Mike at Mikesworkshop.....he will answer you right back and answer any questions you have!

Comment

buzza: I'm new to the scrollsawing game myself. I just purchased my first scrollsaw Saturday (05-01-04) at a woodworking show in Sacramento,Ca. It's the Dewalt 788. I'm anxious to get started as soon as I can. I've been picking up a magazine titled Creative Woodworks And Crafts and it contains a wealth of info and free patterns for the projects they feature. Also, loosely inserted in the magazine, is a card from a business called Blade Values Direct. You can send them the card along with $1 and they will send you 1 dozen of their double reversed tooth blades. Or, as I am going to do, send them $20 and they will send you 12 dozen of their most popular Scroll America blades. Check out their website, http://www.bladevaluesdirect.com. I plan on retiring in just over 2 years and want to do craft/scroll sawing for a 'retirement' business. Good luck and hope this info is of some value.

Comment

This is to Jim Devin you also may want to check out www.mikesworkshop.com and speak with mike. The blades he sells are the best blades on the market I, as well as alot of others think. He will be glad to send you some samples of his Flying Dutchman blades. They are also the best priced blade I have found.
              John T.

Comment

Thanks John. I did just that and Mike did respond with some good info. I appreciate any and all help and info I can get. I don't know how deeply I'll be getting into this hobby but I have made a substantial investment in tools so far. It took me a few years to realize that, 'you get what you pay for' and so far, I've heard nothing but good things about the FD blades. I'm hoping I can find a local retailer in my area but may be out of luck. Anyway, thanks for the response. Hope to talk to you in the future.......shooterjim aka NoNeck!

Comment

You have your local dealer when you contact Mike. His blades are the best made and his service and customer relations can not be beat. I have tried every blade known to man and I can never find anything better than The Flying Dutchman. If you are interested in having just blades I bet there are a lot on this and other forums that will gather up the ones they never use and send them to you but you will end up being a 'MIKE' fan.
                  Grandpa Grizzly

Comment

Thanks Grandpa Grizzly. I bought some Olson and Dremel blades (1 dz. each) until I can buy some of the FD's. I cut my first piece of wood with my new saw today after making sure the table was perpindicular to the blade. I'm fortunate to have a neighbor who is pretty experienced in woodworking. He gave me a few pointers today on his Hegner saw. Like anything you do, to get better at it, the key is practice, practice, practice! I've used machine shop tools for the last 40 years and have seen already that scrollsawing is a whole new game. I will be ordering some of the FD's soon to fill out my supply of blades. Thanks again for the response. I think I'm going to like participating in this forum. Keep the sawdust flying...............shooterjim

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                      Reply to Planer and jointer opinions wanted
                      by will8989
                      Our feed belt keeps moving but Bruce did adjust it the other day when I was done and this is the first time I’ve used it. It kept getting louder so I bet that’s it or it just isn’t tight. Will check it in the morning. Thanks.
                      Yesterday, 11:26 PM
                    • Rolf
                      by Rolf
                      Betty is the feed belt centered? Do you hear it when the drum is spinning or when just the feed belt is on?
                      I have had the sanding belt stretch, they do that over time, and there was enough hanging out to just kiss the table.
                      Yesterday, 03:30 PM
                    • Bill Wilson
                      Reply to Winter issue
                      by Bill Wilson
                      I got mine the other day. Also noticed a dearth of Christmas themed projects. I don't recall seeing much Christmas stuff in the Fall issue either. I look forward to new ornament ideas, but those were lacking this year.

I do understand some of the constraints in publishing a magazine these...
                      Yesterday, 02:49 PM
                    • Bill Wilson
                      by Bill Wilson
                      Well, this topic can present a lot of opinions and options. First, if you are seriously considering helical cutting heads, would you take the next step and upgrade to a stationary, floor model planer? Perhaps even a used one. I don't know how much space you have and what your shop power options are,...
                      Yesterday, 02:13 PM
                    • will8989
                      by will8989
                      Our super max has been making a noise that sounds like paper caught but we can’t pinpoint anything. Cleaned what we could, Bruce used dry lubricant, which sounds like an oxymoron to me, and still makes the noise. Started quietly now is louder. Any suggestions before we call for warranty work? I’m...
                      Yesterday, 01:57 PM
                    Working...
                    X