X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connecting the ears?

I am making the "Freestanding Fretwork Clock" at
    Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts - Freestanding Fretwork Clock

Could some seasoned pro look at the pattern and tell me how the "legs" are connected to the fretwork. I have a hard time believing thatjust glue holds it together. THANKS.

Gene

Looks to me as if the ears are just glued to the back and then the support is attached with pins to the ears. And yep, if the glued surfaces are smooth when glued up then the wood will break before the glue joint will.
    Pat
    Woodworking is Therapy.... some of us need more therapy than others.

Comment

The directions give you all the information you need. "glue and clamp the ears to the back of the clock". Use a good wood glue and clamp in place. As long as you have good mating surfaces and clamp till the glue sets, you will have a good glue joint. As pat c mentioned, the wood will break before the glued joint will! Good luck.
      Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

After responding to this post, I just had to cut this. I stack cut two layers of 3/16" Mahogany. Used Flying Dutchman UR 1 blades. Soaked in 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil an mineral spirits, then top coated with Deft semi gloss spray lacquer. The ears where glued with Aleen's tacky glue, and I am confident they will hold without any problem.
        Attached Files
        Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• planeur
          Reply to A Bear In The Woods
          by planeur
          Trรจs beau John and original !๐Ÿ˜Ž Like it very much, and cherry is the perfect wood for a bear.....!๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜
          planeur
          Today, 06:59 AM
        • Jimern
          Reply to My computer issues.
          by Jimern
          Worth a try, but very rarely works. During the install in windows, the software registers links (for want of a better word) which are required for it to operate. install is what is needed...
          Today, 06:51 AM
        • handibunny
          Reply to New turning tools
          by handibunny
          Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Your work is always a treat to look at!
          Today, 05:34 AM
        • will8989
          by will8989
          I clean it up and stuff regularly. If I do a lot of typing, spreadsheets, etc., I use the computer as itโ€™s faster for me but take the tablet to shows and markets to post from there. I also use my rapid resizer program on the tablet when I want to change a pattern and am downstairs. I really need a...
          Yesterday, 11:16 PM
        • Linda In Phoenix
          by Linda In Phoenix
          Rolf, if your Picassa file works I want it!!! They cram so much into newer programs that it just complicates things and takes away intuitive stuff. Thank you for checking!
          Yesterday, 05:55 PM
        Working...
        X