X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connecting the ears?

I am making the "Freestanding Fretwork Clock" at
    Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts - Freestanding Fretwork Clock

Could some seasoned pro look at the pattern and tell me how the "legs" are connected to the fretwork. I have a hard time believing thatjust glue holds it together. THANKS.

Gene

Looks to me as if the ears are just glued to the back and then the support is attached with pins to the ears. And yep, if the glued surfaces are smooth when glued up then the wood will break before the glue joint will.
    Pat
    Woodworking is Therapy.... some of us need more therapy than others.

Comment

The directions give you all the information you need. "glue and clamp the ears to the back of the clock". Use a good wood glue and clamp in place. As long as you have good mating surfaces and clamp till the glue sets, you will have a good glue joint. As pat c mentioned, the wood will break before the glued joint will! Good luck.
      Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

After responding to this post, I just had to cut this. I stack cut two layers of 3/16" Mahogany. Used Flying Dutchman UR 1 blades. Soaked in 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil an mineral spirits, then top coated with Deft semi gloss spray lacquer. The ears where glued with Aleen's tacky glue, and I am confident they will hold without any problem.
        Attached Files
        Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
          Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
          by meflick
          got mine in the mail today. Thanks.Cute and befitting. Now I need to know how it’s made/what it’s made from. (On everyone gets theirs of course.)...
          Yesterday, 08:21 PM
        • Jo Labre
          Reply to Joining the new tool frenzy
          by Jo Labre
          At the time I thought "Ah, spit!" (or words like that) and just threw the blade in the garbage. It was the #5 size blade. I suspect it would cost more to have it done than the cost of a new blade. The owners manual is not very helpful, the wording is awkward, having been 'translated' into...
          Yesterday, 11:13 AM
        • hotshot
          by hotshot
          The brazing process doesn't look too bad. I have seen the welders built into the industrial bandsaws, so out of curiosity, I looked that up and that process is pretty cool to watch also, though trying that on something this small would probably light the whole thing up....
          Yesterday, 10:14 AM
        • Rolf
          by Rolf
          Jo, I did a bit of research on the web, and there are lots of videos of people silver soldering broken blades. In hindsight I remember I had made a jig eons ago to do just that, when I still had a small Craftsman bench top three wheeler....
          Yesterday, 09:32 AM
        • Rolf
          Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
          by Rolf
          I haven't even decided what to make!
          Yesterday, 09:27 AM
        Working...
        X