blade bending problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blade bending problems

Hello, I wanted to try scroll sawing but my wife didn't want me to spend alot of money on a saw so we bought a craftsmen 16' variable speed scroll saw. But every project I start quickly becomes ruined ! At first the saw will cut nicely but within minutes the blade starts to bend without me putting very much pressure at all in pushing. I have been experimenting with different blades with the same results- I continuely have to tighten the tension to keep the blade tight. Is there any way I can make this work?? Please help!!
    -Jim

Re: blade bending problems

Three things to try -
    Increase the saw speed
    decrease the feed speed
    tighten the tension

Comment

And.....dump the crapsman...sorry but I don't like anything sears makes!! if you are serious, spend the money to get a GOOD tool and you will enjoy it!! You also need very good blades. Without a good saw and good blades the whole thing becomes a big chore and not worth the hassle! Look at the DeWalt scrollsaw, thats probably the one I will get, I presently have a dremel, but it just doesn't quite cut it either! if you want the top end, look at a Hegner or rbi's Hawk!

Comment

I totally agree with HI HO Silver. I almost gave up scrollsawing because my first machine was a craftsman and it was more frustrating than it was worth. I went shopping for a good saw at a woodworking show and got a 18' Hegner and just love it! And the Craftsman? It went to the dump!!

Comment

If you can't dump the Craftsman saw, get really good blades. If you're able to start OK, then the cut goes bad, it has more to do with the blade than the saw. The blade needs to be tight enough to 'ring' a good musical note, before you start cutting. If your blade is bending AND discoloring, it's getting too hot and then it's shot. There are several on-line woodworking stores that sell good blades. This is one of many:
          http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/

Comment

I also had a Craftsman 16' scrollsaw and after trying to do a few things with it I noticed the following problems. First, the hold down clamp was whopperjawed and useless (although I removed it anyway), second, the lower blade clamp repeatedly kept releasing the blade, third, after hitting the 'on' switch I never knew when it woudl start! Scary and not safe for sure and I think it had something to do with the variable speed of the saw. But here's the winner on the Craftsman. I took it back and wanted a DeWalt. Guess what? They don't sell the DeWalt Scrollsaws although they do sell DeWalt tools. After a little discussion, the sales clerk gave me a refund and I ordered a DeWalt 788s. I couldn't be happier with the saw. No comparison to the Craftsman saw. It will cut circles around the Craftsman, pun intended. So, for my money, it's onward and upward with a good scrollsaw and many years of future use.

Comment

This is what happens all the time when people say they want to try scrolling and they only have so much money to spend. If you read these and other forums you get the same answers. Basically you get what you pay for. I would always recomend putting in the extra cash now and buy a good saw. The frustration just isn't worth the savings. That is a lot of people give up on this great relaxing artform, they get frustrated with the saw. Then they can't figure out how other people do such nice work. Spend the extra cash up front. I happen to own two RBI hawks and love them and recomend them highly. I know they are pricey but worth every penny. Happy Scrolling JTTHECLOCKMAN
              John T.

Comment

One other thing I forgot to mention if you want a very good blade and resonablly priced try the flying dutchman blades from Mike's Workshop. web address is www.mikesworkshop.com or email [email protected] He will be happy to send you some free samples and you can try the finest blades on the market. You can tell him JTTHECLOCKMAN sent you. I have no ties to him but highly recomend his blades. Then you can see for yourself what all the rage is about. They cut straighter stay sharper longer and are at a very good price. JTTHECLOCKMAN
                John T.

Comment

I got tired of getting flannel shirts for gifts. I finally convinced my wife that 'nothing says I love you like craftsman'. If my neighbor asks for directions I dont tell him to ditch his toyota just because I have a corvette. I have a craftsman 16' also, I love it. It does have inconviences, one is blade clamping. Easy solution. The bottom clamp thumb screw is to small and hard to get tight, swap the hold down thumb screw with the bottom clamp screw, its larger and gives you more leverage. second, remove both thumb screws and the other allen head screws from upper and lower blade clamps, they are not flat on the ends because of the threading process.File the ends of the screws flat, it gives you more surface on the blade. Hope it helps.

Comment

It would be a good idea for you to go to Mike's website 'mikesworkshop.com' and look over the scrolling tips he has there. Very good information. Another good site is Rick Hutcheson's web site 'www.scrollsaws.com'. I was about to give up on my Delta 40-640 20' variable speed scrollsaw because I couldn't get the pinless style blade to stay clamped and these guys' sites helped. I e-mailed them with questions and they were quite helpful and want everyone to become better scrollers. Thay are genuine and very helpful guys.

Kurt

Comment

Just me 2 cents... I bought the Craftsman Variable speed scrollsaw. Clamped it to a table. Turned it on and watched both the table and saw jump up and down until I pulled the plug. lol. I returned the saw, got the Delta single speed. It sits still and requires no clamps at all. The blades are hard to put on tho, but all the similar scrollsaws seem the same way. Just the nature of them I guess?

Comment

[quote author=jttheclockman : if you want a very good blade and resonablly priced try the flying dutchman blades from Mike's Workshop. web address is mikesworkshop.com

I recently switched over to the Flying Dutchman blades for my puzzle cutting and am totally amazed at how long they last compared to the Olson blades; and how much better they cut & leave my materials. One happy camper.

Comment

I to switched over to flying dutchman--thay are awesome blades and mike is a hell of a nice guy. Also you might want to keep rechecking tension on the blade--maybe it is loosening during cuts which could lead to blade control loss

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                            Reply to Communion cross
                            by cwmagee
                            That is beautiful.

I am chaffing at the bit to get back to the scroll saw, Unfortunately the urban renewal project "Redoing the deck" has taken over all of my time.
                            Yesterday, 09:25 PM
                          • daveswoodworking
                            Comment on 2020 Ornament Exchange
                            by daveswoodworking
                            Yes I’ll send you the list of names and address to sent to after after the dead line
                            Thank you for join the exchange
                            Yesterday, 09:24 PM
                          • Linda In Phoenix
                            Reply to Communion cross
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            Excellent contrast not only in wood choices (LOVE the bocote), but also 90 degree corners on the bocote and radius corners on the maple. Very nice!
                            Yesterday, 08:46 PM
                          • vgraf
                            Reply to 2020 Ornament Exchange
                            by vgraf
                            I signed up four four, Will you be sending the list of where to send my ornaments?
                            Yesterday, 08:19 PM
                          • Trackman
                            Reply to Winter issue
                            by Trackman
                            Got mine in East Central Indiana. Carole has a nice bowl idea an couple of tool reviews
                            Yesterday, 07:44 PM
                          Working...
                          X