Smoking and Squaring the table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking and Squaring the table

So I had to replace a defective saw this week. On the first one I had tried to square the table using a 12" square and level. I don't have a machinists 2" square and am not sure even where to look for one since I am a beginner.
    As I sat and pondered a better solution to the squaring, I lit up a smoke. That's when I realized the pack, new one, boxed Marlboro's, was square and just about the right size.
    I checked it against a couple of squares I had handy and sure enough it was on the money. I set it up against the blade and adjusted the table, made a cut or two and found it was right.
    I know you're not supposed to smoke but it came in kind of handy this time. Maybe someone else can use this tip. Probably won't work with soft packs though.

I use a piece of 3/4" wood. Cut about 1/8" into it and than try to put it in the back of the blade. That is the easiest way for me.
    FD Mike
    SD Mike

Comment

Use an old credit card. They are free and dead on.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Smoking and Scrollsawing. Maybe a new ad for Surgeon General. "he lit up near the saw and the cloud of dust exploded!"

Smoking Kills

Hehe
        Steve in Richmond, VA with a DW-788

Comment

Cutting a slot maybe 1/8 deep in a piece of wood works to square up a blade. Cut the slot then try to fit it in the back edge of the blade. If it doesn't fit, move the table 1/2 of the offset, then try it again. The best method I use is a cheap clear plastic protractor about 6" wide and 3" tall. Set it behind the blade move the table until the center mark and the 90 degree mark line up on the blade. To double check, turn the protractor around and verify that that reading is the same. That"s as close to 90 as you can get for a buck.

Comment

Steve was making a joke, but his observation is right on. Sawdust will explode when it comes in contact with sparks or flame. Please do not smoke where you are using your saw!
            T
            Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

How many blades can you burn for a pack Marlboros .....
              Ivar ("treslakter" - read as "woodbutcher")

The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time. (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Comment

Ha ha ha...you guys...
                Actually using the scroll has cut down on my smoking. I'm not sure you can smoke while wearing a dust mask and using both hands to guide the cut. Well, I can't anyway.
                However I do sometimes take a little break between cutting projects, sit back, light up and survey my work. I also keep a fan blowing across my work to clear the sawdust and to help clear the air around me. Here in south Texas, I try to do all my cutting outside.
                Thanks for all the concern though.
                Now you have my curiosity up. Has anyone ever actually heard of a scroll saw sawdust explosion? I think they would have to be cutting a lot more wood than my piddly little things but maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by Forester21 View Post
                  Steve was making a joke, but his observation is right on. Sawdust will explode when it comes in contact with sparks or flame. Please do not smoke where you are using your saw!
                  T
                  Realistically, dust would have to be built up to a level far, far greater than a scrollsaw is capable of producing to present an explosion hazard, unless perhaps if you do your scrolling in an unventilated closet.
                  I smoke while sawing sometimes, haven't spontaneously combusted yet !

Comment

Hi - as a non smoker and a bit of a cheapskater I'm with Mike in using a credit card except that instead of using an old one I prefer to use my wife's current one - and if I accidentally cut into the PIN chip, so much the better !

Seriously though, credit cards work great.
                    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks XRay and Jim you made me laugh out loud! I hadn't thought of it that way but now, no more smoke packs. Wife's credit card it is!!!

ha ha ha ha

Comment

P. S. Let's be done with this thread. I don't want anyone's feelings to be hurt. I'm out...

Comment

I don't think anyones feathers are going to get ruffled over this cp ... Just different opinions.
                          I am a union construction worker of over a decade, and I have been through 100's of industrial safety classes over the years, sometimes running them myself. So I have a strong safety ethic, and this naturally carries over to my personal endeavors.
                          Some things, such as wearing safety glasses when cutting/sawing, wearing ear protection around high decibel noises, wearing a safety harness when working heights, are pretty much self explanatory and unarguable.
                          Other things are judgement calls, and this is one of them. I think the real hazard hear is the smoking itself. Scroll saw dust is generally very fine, and doesn't tend to get airborne the way a router or table saw would kick up dust. That, combined with the fact that very little is generated anyhow, makes the prospect of a dust explosion all but impossible.

Comment

Well, I'm just going to say one thing on this thread. MIKE, I don't agree with you on the credit cards, THEY ARE NOT FREE ! At least the one we have isn't. HA
                            PERK

Comment

i found one better for you guys, head over to steve goods scrollsaw workshop and pick up
                              (or i should say print out) his protractor he made up and the best part as always is his
                              generosity as its free!
                              http://www.stevedgood.com/anglegauge.pdf

+ + I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning + +

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by will8989
                                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by NC Scroller
                                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                                Yesterday, 07:42 AM
                              Working...
                              X