blade tension dewalt 788

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blade tension dewalt 788

I am having problems keeping the tension all the way through the cut. The tension is good at the begining but I have to adjust part way through. I have sanded the set screws and the blades, using olsen, but this seems to work only for a short time. Any ideas would be appriciated.

You may have to remove the oil from the ends of the blades. I use baby wipes and just wipe the ends. You could use alcohol wipes or other types of solvents.
    T
    Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks will try today

Comment

I have had to replace the set screws that hold the blades several times now.
        Why they wear out I don't know.

John

Old Dust

Comment

did you have to order the set screws from dewalt or did you find them at a hardware store.

Comment

When you sand the set screws make sure they are perfectly flat. Many issues are caused by a rounded spot or angle on the set screws. It often helps the thread the screw through a small block of wood to ensure you are sending it flat.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I ordered mine from ereplacements.com

Comment

If you remove the set screws to sand them (I'm talking about the set screws opposite from the thumbscrews) make sure to put some blue loc-tite on the screw threads before you put them back in, otherwise the vibration of the saw running will cause these screws to move and you'll lose tension.

Comment

Have a look through this thread, you mat need to repair the blade tensioning mechanism
                  http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/too...ades/11289.htm
                  Very easy to fix & I've not had a problem since
                  Hope this helps
                  Marsha
                  LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

i had not thought about putting loctite on the set screws. Tried the loctite twice and like the last time i tried to use loctite it never set ended up using super glue. Cut two pieces an never had the tension slip. Working like a charm.

Comment

Most scroll saws are woefully lacking in the blade holding department... and spending more for the machine does NOT buy a better holder (at least on the 788, Hegner, and RBI's that I have). The 788 holds a blade almost like you'd hold a watermelon seed that you wanted to send flying... the end of the blade-holding screw is a tiny circle that pivots (ie. wobbles) and it is designed so that only half of it makes contact with the blade... like pinching the edge of a watermelon seed. It is a shame that they never made improvements to actually hold onto a blade under tension.
                      Regarding sanding the end of the screw... the end comes out by pulling on it. Remove the tiny o-ring and keep it... I took a scrap of 4x4 to the drill press and drilled a hole for a snug fit of the shaft while the 'disc' that needed sanding is now flat on the 4x4 surface. Take that to a disc or belt sander and just touch the disc to the spinning abrasive... it should flatten it perfectly. Put the o-ring back on and push it back into the screw. (btw, I used the 4x4 to prop up the upper arm.)

Spence

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X