Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First project

Hi everyone,
    I've been carving for a while and figured I should try my hand at scrolling. What would you all suggest for a first project? I'm a definate newbie at scrolling....

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Re: First project

How about cutting out the profile of a 'spoon' then if you don't like scrolling, you can always finish carving the spoon LOL

Comment

Good idea...That way I won't waste wood
      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Bob

I do not know how much experience you have but you can go to the basics and get a kids coloring book and make copies of some of the animals and other things in there and make Christmas ornamates. If you are passed that then try any of the small clock patterns offer at Wildwood designs. Jump right in the scrolling is fine.
        John T.

Comment

Thanks John. I'm actually going to a local scrolling club meeting next Tuesday...just to get my feet wet before jumping in.

I have access to all kinds of patterns here--thanks to my job, but I guess it is a little intimidating...

Bob
          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

all kinds of patterns ??? Geez...pass'em around LOL :P

Comment

Hi Ho,
              I'm getting an article ready on free pattern sites. Here are a few teasers:

• Gary Browning’s Web site: http://www.angelfire.com/md2/creativewood/freeart.htm. Gary, a frequent contributor to SSW, has posted some of his patterns on the Web for free. Some have appeared in SSW in the past, but there are some other patterns as well.
              • Denny Taylor’s Web site: http://artisticwood.tripod.com/. In addition to posting a gallery of his scroll saw work and turnings, Denny has uploaded several of his portrait patterns for the general scrolling public.
              • Dexter A. Hansen’s Web site: http://dexter.a.hansen.home.att.net/. Dexter has a variety of information on his site including the patterns for several birds that can be scroll sawed. He does have the designs copyrighted and anyone using the patterns should read over his legal page.
              • Free Puzzle Plans: http://www.freewoodpuzzles.com/index.html. There are several animal puzzle patterns on the site for free. For the most part, they are not a detailed as some of the portrait patterns out there, but are still good projects.
              • Country Charm Woodcrafts: http://www.woodkrafts.com. General wood craft site that offers a free newsletter and free scrolling patterns.

Sorry, I haven't worked out how to actually make them hyperlinks. Hopefully with the new board, it will be easier to do that.

Bob
              www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Well Bob someone make they hyperlinks because I just clicked on them and it took me right to the site! GOOD JOB!! Now if I can just get my login name to work that easily! LOL

Comment

Good thing I scroll saw better than I type! LOL!!!

Comment

Betty,
                    Did you get the e-mail from Rob Starr...I think he had a solution to your problem.

Bob
                    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

A list of free carving patterns like that would be great too! Thanks Bob

Comment

Dave,
                        I'm working on that too: do you have any favorites?

Bob
                        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

sorry, not offhand....will post if I find any, most of the time there are only a couple of free patterns and I might just like the looks of one or two...

Comment

So Bob have you started your first scroll project yet? I'm not one for patience so when I started I did the hardest I thought i could handle, which I could not. But I learned so much from that project that I don't even consider it wasted wood. My hegner saw came with an excellent instruction book and I turned to that AFTER I did my first project! I kept all of my first projects, which I thought were great at the time and look at them now and can't believe how far I have come. Now if I could just figure out what all these yabbc tags mean!
                            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Right now I'm working my way throught John Nelson's Scroll Saw Work Book (2nd edition). I've cut the p[ractice project once entirely and am halfway through it a second time...it's harder than I thought...maybe I'll just move on to the next project so I can see if I can cut something besides curvy lines!!

Bob
                              www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X