Moving on!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving on!!

I've finished the first lesson in John Nelson's Scroll Saw Workbook!! Now on to the second!!

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Re: Moving on!!

Bob

How is it going with the lessons? You will find alot of this scrolling is a feel thing and you pick it up as you actually do some cutting. The basics are to get to know the saw and get the feel of cutting with the grain and against the grain. Learning to cut straight and to make curves is also a practice feel thing. The technical things about right blades and speeds for different medium are to come. Then there will be the tricks which come from doing it for a good while. Tricks like relieve cuts, making curves from the clockwise motion and from the counterclockwise motion, Stack cutting and what it does to the different layers, cutting different hardwoods, al;l in due time. Good luck and looking forward to seing some finished projects. One other question what saw are you learning on??
    John T.

Comment

John,
      I'm going back and forth between the Hegner and the Hawk that we have in our shop here in the office. We've also got an excalibur, but that's down in the photo studio and I can't move it back to the shop by myself...

I found myself wanting a scroll saw at home this weekend when I was carving a maple leaf...I took a chunk out of my finger with the Typhoon burr trying to rough it out!

Bob
      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Must be nice to go to work and HAVE to scrollsaw! Gees, I should be so lucky! Glad to hear you're doing so great with the lessons. By the way I got the new issue of ScrollSaw and saw your pic in there. I am going to try to squeeze in a project or two for my show in two weeks, most likely the B&O ornament since I live so close to Baltimore and the spiral cut one. But the one I can't wait to do is the wreath on the cover! That will be my Jan, Feb, March, etc. project! And which saw do you like the best, Hegner or Hawk? HAPPY SCROLLING while I sit at work and type!
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I haven't used either enough to know which I like better. The hegner seems to cut smoother, but I'm not sure if that is my technique or the saw. The blade was a lot easier to change on the Hawk, though.

To be honest, I give up my lunch hour to scroll...so I'm really not scrolling when I should be working.

That said, this is the best job I've ever had because I get to do the two things I love best--work with wood and write. I can't think of a better way to spend my days if I'm not home wiht my wife!!

Bob
          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Just got done cutting out the fish pattern. Used the hergner because the lighting is better over that saw...I'm not really picky.

Bob
            www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X