Wood Burns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Burns

Sometimes my wood "burns" when I'm cutting. Any suggestions on how to prevent that from happening? Thanks.
    Last edited by SawingSue; 03-29-2012, 08:56 PM. Reason: To subscribe to email notifucation

Some woods burn more easily than others, like cherry. I use clear packing tape over the pattern when cutting. It helps to lube the blade.
    "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

Hey Sue, to help prevent burning use either clear packing tape or blue masking tape. I like to apply the clear packing tape over the pattern. some folks apply the blue tape over the wood, then apply the pattern over the tape. The tape helps reduce friction which causes the wood to burn. It also helps the blade last longer.
      Last edited by dgman; 03-25-2012, 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling
      Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Good suggestions, but you may also want to slow the speed of your saw as well. Don't force the wood into the blade as you saw.
        John

Excalibur EX21
        RBI Hawk G4

Comment

I've also noticed it isn't so much the speed of the saw as it is the rate at which I'm feeding the wood into the blade. Slow down and enjoy your craft. It will benefit you on so many levels.
          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Sue, I use clear packing tape on top of the pattern and use a sharp blade.
            I use FD blades from Mike.

Bob
            Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

I use the blue painter tape on the wood then the pattern then clear packing tape, also slow down the feed rate and maybe the speed of the saw.
              Bob making sawdust in SW Louisiana
              with a EX-21

Comment

If you slow the speed down, you might have a tendency of pushing too hard into the blade. Instead of cutting the wood, the blade will grab it and when using reverse tooth blades it makes the wood jumb.
                FD Mike
                SD Mike

Comment

Thank you for all your suggestions. I'll experiment with the speed of the saw. I have both clear packing tape and blue painter tape on hand from other projects so I'll try those and see which works best for me. Thanks again.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                    Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                    by will8989
                    The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                    Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Farmers market
                    by will8989
                    Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                    Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                  • tgiro01
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by tgiro01
                    Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                    Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                    Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Plastic puzzle
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                    Yesterday, 06:38 PM
                  Working...
                  X