Safety Precautions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Precautions

I am new to woodworking, scrolling, and I am a diabetic. Safety is a major concern. I Googled and read several articles and watched a video on YouTube about scroll saw safety. I carry my cell phone with me, and made a small First Aid kit and stashed it in near my saw and sanding area. Are there any other precautions I should take?

Originally posted by SawingSue View Post
    I am new to woodworking, scrolling, and I am a diabetic. Safety is a major concern. I Googled and read several articles and watched a video on YouTube about scroll saw safety. I carry my cell phone with me, and made a small First Aid kit and stashed it in near my saw and sanding area. Are there any other precautions I should take?
    Protection from breathing sawdust is a major safety issue. Please wear a dust mask and use a dust collection system of some kind when you are woodworking. We have had members here with serious health issues as a result of not protecting themselves from inhaling sawdust particles.

Nancy in AZ
    A clean house is a sign of a broken scroll saw!

Comment

And aside what was afore mentioned, Scrolling is probably the safest tool in the shop.
      You would have to want to cut yourself with it.
      It's pretty mild. I scroll with my fingers right up to the blade sometimes, when I'm doing small details.
      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
      No task is too tedious for Art.
      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

You would have to really go out of your way to do any damage with a scroll saw. I often have fingers in contact with the blade and I don't notice until it gets a little warm.
        I had to chuckle when I read your post. Check out my post, it'll be there in a little while.
        May the wind at you back .....
        Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Hearing and eye protection are important, too. Even quiet saws make enough noise to require some protection, and you never know when something can go flying.

It's also a good idea to wear an apron or other covering so you don't drag sawdust with you. I use my shop vac to vacuum off my clothes and sometimes even my hair. You also might find yourself sensitive to the dust from some wood, especially exotics.

However, compared to other tools, the scroll saw is about as safe as they come, and the precautions are those you'd need for any tool. As far as cutting yourself, with normal precautions it just isn't an issue. The blade stays put, there's no kickback, and with a little care, you can get your fingers right up to the blade without danger.
          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks, Nancy. Good reminder about taking precautions to not breathe sawdust. I wear a mask and use a box fan with a pleated furnace filter. I also wear safety glasses and no jewelry, especially no long necklaces with dangly charms. Love your signature! I need to scroll a big sign that says that!

Comment

JimSawyer, Well, I certainly do not want to cut myself. I do, however, want to cut wood and have something left besides sawdust! I've yet to put my fingers right up to the blade. Maybe in time and with experience...

Comment

oily, I couldn't find your post but I did find Buckshot and he is adorable!

Comment

Carole, I hadn't considered ear protection as I'm usually listening to music. Thanks. I made myself a red bid apron to wear when scrolling. I'm going to work on getting my fingers closer to the blade.

Comment

So i guess its probably not too smart to drink a 12 pack while sawing.

Now you tell me.

Comment

Is that a rhetorical question? I have nothing against other people's drinking, but as a diabetic, I can't control my blood sugar if I consume alcohol, so I don't. That's one safety issue I don't have to be concerned with when scrolling.

Comment

Sue, the very most important safety issues involve eyes and lungs. It is good that you are wearing a mask and safety glasses. Remember that a mask is only as effective as the fit is good. If there are gaps between your face and the mask, dust will get inside the mask and into your airway. There are several threads in this forum that address mask choices that are good reading. Have fun and relax. The scroll saw is nearly benign. I've had worse paper cuts.

@ crupiea: If you're going to be dumb, it's good to be tough!

Jan

Comment

Jan, Thanks for your suggestions about the mask. I use a CPAP mask for sleep apnea so I know what your mean about air leaks and needing the right fit. And yes, I need to relax and make lots of sawdust!

Comment

Sue, I'm also a diabetic (type 2) and take all the precautions already offered above. Never had a problem yet. On top of that I have a stent in my artery and the doc put me on Plavix (a blood thinner) about 4 yrs ago. This means that if I do cut myself, it's hard to stop it. But a cut from a scroll saw blade is more of an abrasion than a deep cut, and I've never had a fear of that happening. I get right down there close to the blade. Enjoy your scrolling!
                            John

Excalibur EX21
                            RBI Hawk G4

Comment

Sue,

It seems to me that the worst risk to a diabetic is low sugar from forgetting to eat/ insulin probs etc. we (diabetics) all know about those risks!

Other than that it is the safest thing I do in the shop. I have hurt myself worse with a screwdriver than the scrollsaw.
                              Steve in Richmond, VA with a DW-788

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                                I like the fact...
                                Today, 08:34 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                                Today, 08:17 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                Way to go, Betty. Our farmers market does not allow craft sales.
                                Today, 08:17 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Rolf
                                Good for you! Who designed the small nativity?
                                Today, 08:10 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Supermax
                                by NC Scroller
                                Two great customer service stories on this forum in a week. There is hope. Even in 2020.
                                Today, 08:00 AM
                              Working...
                              X