Spray adhesive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray adhesive

Just wondering what are the better temporary bond spray adhesive's for gluing patterns to wood? And as for mineral spirits is this something that is usually bought in a hardware or a paint store?

Thank's

Steve

I use 3M 45 spray adhesive. As for the mineral spirits wherever it is cheapest. Both carry it. I buy mine (MS) by the gallon.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

3M77 works good for me, mineral spirits can be gotten anywhere in the paint dept.even WallyWorld aka paint thinner.
      Last edited by tvman44; 03-17-2012, 08:02 PM.
      Bob making sawdust in SW Louisiana
      with a EX-21

Comment

I've used Loctite 100 (formerly known as Duro brand) and Krylon Repositionable Spray Adhesive. Both have worked well for me. The Loctite is generally a couple bucks cheaper than some of the other brands and is available at Lowes & Home Depot. I get the Krylon at Michaels Craft store.

Mineral Spirits is also labeled paint thinner. They are the same thing. I like to get the oderless type. It's a little more expensive, but having a basement shop, it's worth it. It will be available anywhere paint is sold.
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Most any temporary bond spray adhesive will work and I don't need mineral spirits as I use blue painters tape.

Comment

I put on a layer of cellophane packing tape top and bottom of my wood before applying the pattern with spray adhesive. The packing tape on the bottom sure helps the wood to slide and turn easily on the scroll saw table. When finished the packing tape comes off easily and no mess to clean off of the wood.
            Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
            "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

I use craft bond from walmart works great.

Comment

Love the idea of putting tape on the bottom of the project and helping with turns, will try that next.
                Also, just wondering what is the mineral spirits is for ? I have tried to use the loctite it sure is a pain to get the paper off if you get it stuck good enough to stay.

Comment

Thank's for the info guy's, I like the idea of using packing tape on the wood before the pattern is glued on. Thats the one I will try. I went to three stores in the city I live in and no one had temp. bond spray adhesive.

Comment

I use the blue painters tape and then elmers or titebond glue and put the pattern on. No clean up, just peel the blue tape off and it over.

Comment

I use the Spray Adhesive that Wal-Mart sells - usually the cheap 3-m brand and it's all I need ....but they have the higher priced 3-M also ...I also use a cheap Harbor Freight Heat gun to take off my patterns and use a automotive laquer thinner to take off any glue...MB
                      Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

I use the cheapest brand of spray gule i can find.

I spray the back of the paper very lightly, just one quick pass and thats it. Too much and it will stick too well and be a pain to scrape off.

Try it this way, just one quick pass and you will be fine. It will just peel right off.

Comment

I tried a temporary spray adhesive from an art store. Did not like it. Pattern kept lifting off. No matter how much I sprayed. So I have tried 3M's spray adhesive 45 on the few projects I have cut. Works good.
                          Bill

Dewalt 788 Type 1

Comment

Originally posted by forthelove View Post
                            Love the idea of putting tape on the bottom of the project and helping with turns, will try that next.
                            Also, just wondering what is the mineral spirits is for ? I have tried to use the loctite it sure is a pain to get the paper off if you get it stuck good enough to stay.
                            The mineral spirits (paint thinner) is a solvent for the adhesive. Once you are done cutting, dampen the paper with a little MS, let it set for a minute or 2, then it should lift right off. Then with a little more MS on a rag, gently wipe any adhesive residue off of the wood.

A lot of folks seem to like using the blue painters tape. Cover the surface of the wood first, then apply the pattern to the tape. The tape won't leave residue behind like the spray adhesive.

Personally, I have much more trouble getting clear packing tape off of detailed fretwork cuttings than anything else I've used. Mineral spirits don't soak through it like it does the paper, so it isn't nearly as effective at loosening the bond of the clear tape. Maybe it's the tape I'm using, but I generally avoid putting it directly on the wood.
                            Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Bill Wilson. good comments.

I use the 3M Delicate blue tape to wrap a stack, then use 3M77 spray adhesive for the pattern. If there may be a burn problem I wrap the whole mess in clear packing tape. When possible I also drill in the waste areas and glue the toothpicks in the waste to prevent lateral shift on the stacks. This also helps the stack stay tight, especially in the center. If it were a single piece rather than a stack, I spray the pattern and apply directly, and use the clear tape if there is a burn concern. Do not put clear tape directly on the wood piece. If the pattern is directly on the wood the clear tape will come off and any patten residue can be removed with mineral spirits.
                              Got Moose?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                                by cwmagee
                                I think it might be a letter that one would need to use the left index finger. Perhaps you need a heavier hammer.
                                Today, 05:39 PM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to New tools
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Rolf - the unit I bought will also do Tig welding once you buy the optional accessories - torch, nozzles etc: - plus it will do conventional stick welding too. I doubt I'll be heading down the TIG route anytime soon, at least not for the projects I have in mind at the moment.

I did a...
                                Today, 05:26 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Rolf
                                Jim I bought a mig welder the last time I did a frame off restoration on my TVR. I had a few frame cracks. I bought one that used shielding gas. I never really mastered the power vs feed vs moving the torch. Using it only a couple of times a year did not help.
                                My dream was to buy a TIG so that...
                                Today, 04:32 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Big week here
                                by Rolf
                                Yes you have had a great week.! It is really nice that your son shared this special moment. Regarding retirement, Almost 5 years for me, Never regreted my decision, not for an instant.
                                Today, 04:19 PM
                              • jim_mex
                                New PC keyboard has an error
                                by jim_mex
                                Partly because I have trouble seeing small letters with my one remaining eye and also because my existing wireless keyboard gave up the ghost a couple of days back I went out this morning and bought a new wired keyboard from our local Oice Depot.

I chose one with really big blue illuminated...
                                Today, 03:47 PM
                              Working...
                              X