Scrolling MDF Core plywoods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrolling MDF Core plywoods?

I am thinking about purchasing some Oak plywood with a MDF Core. What will be the disadvantages of scrolling this type of wood?

If the ply that you are talking about is the same as that I have purchased at Lowes, it will cause problems when you cut into a void, located in different places as you cut. I'm not sure if the ply (MDF) is the same as what I had. Mine was more like a foam core. I didn't like it. I quit buying any Plywood at Lowes. The last piece of Oak warped so bad I couldn't use it, & it was a wood core( only 3 ply) though. I guess you could try it & see what happens. It may be OK for you. Good Luck
    PERK

Comment

If purchased it will be from Plywood - Small Pieces of Plywood For the Scroll Saw Enthusiast . Wildwood has some Veneer core. I don't know what the difference is, but I will be able to get more wood for a less of a cost. If there going to major problems with using this kind of plywood I will stay away from it. I just don't want to purchase 50 dollars or more of wood and decide I don't like it and let it go to waste. I could just order one piece at a time, but also with the shipping cost it will pay to order more to cover it.

Comment

You might want to mention what your intended plans are. I recently asked about MDF vs Plywood for puzzles and was advises against it. MDF may be more susceptible to breakage. Might be due to the fact it (MDF) is composed of wood fibers instead of cross grained wood.
        Sawdust King

If there is one thing I can make perfect every time it is sawdust.

Comment

From all sorts of things. Like pictures, plaques, and clocks. If this stuff does not work I might just have to go with the more expensive hardwood way. Any idea on what the best prices online are?

Comment

Home depot has loads of free samples there for the taking, at least the one by me does.
            Maybe 3x3 at most, might be able to experiment with these without flushing $$.
            I cut MDF on my CNC machine, its very hard on cutters, so be expecting to snap blades more than usual.

Comment

I've been using 1/2" MDF core plywood for backing some crosses that I've been making for years now. It cuts pretty much the same as regular ply, but seems to dull the blade a little quicker. I've never had any breakage or chipping on it. If you're going to stain it at all, expect the exposed MDF edges to soak up stain like a sponge, and to turn out a little lighter than the plywood face. It's also hard to get any kind of finish to build up on the edges - don't know if this is important to you. On the plus side, I think the more solid MDF edges look better than seeing the plywood layers on the side.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Comment

How about that veneer core ply. Has anyone tried this stuff?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X