Blades and speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blades and speed

I have a Delta shopmaster and new to scrolling. I'm working on the "shalom" puzzle and keep breaking blades. I'm making it out of 3/4 " Walnut. Any suggestions on speed, blade, TENSION, ETC? tHANKS

I would reccommend a blade at least a number 5 size.For a beginner, a blade without reverse teeth will work better for you,as the sawdust will clear the cut easier, making less friction then compared to a reverse tooth blade. Blade quality is probably a big issue, as your probably using the crappy blades supplied with the saw.Even still, walnut isnt THAT hard, you should be able to do it. On 3/4 thick, you can run the saw fullspeed, but just run it at the speed you feel most comfortable with.ith experience, you can speed it up without even thinkin about it. As for tension, I always say go as tight as you think, then a little more. To tight of a blade isnt really an issue, but to loose a blade, and you have all sorts of troubles.Also, be sure to only steer the wood with the saw running to avoid twisting the blade.
    Relax, take your time, and have fun with it. And remember, its just a piece of wood until you are happy with the cutting, if it doesnt turn out as expected, grab another piece and try it again, because you CAN do it! Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

When I first started, I broke a lot of blades. I remember thinking "This was a 5 blade project". Well, now days I rarely break blades, and they are mostly because I bent them while inserting them in the holes.

Keep the blade as tight as you can. If you notice the blade doesn't cut very well, time for a new one. They can dull quickly. Also, if you notice that the direction of feed changes on a blade, time for a new one. this can be caused by several things, but I seem to do it when I start turning too quickly or have side pressure on the blade.

As for speed, cut what you are comfortable with. If the blade will cut it without forcing it, and you can follow the line, that is a good speed!
      Mark Abbett
      DW788

Comment

I'm cutting 3/4 to 1 inch, and really hard woods at times. The only blades I own are #9 skip tooth. although i think i have a sample pack or two of assortments someplace, but I don't use them. I keep it pretty tight on the tension, shouldn't be able to push back on the blade more than 1/8 inch, and I run about 1/2 speed on the G4, maybe a little less. Those blades have alot of bite and I very rarely ever break one...I just use them till they are dull and toss them. Once and a while, but rare, when I'm cutting a tight turn on a very small but thick piece of wood I'll get some chatter/finger smashing fun.
        Jeff Powell

Comment

That's a big blade to be breaking anyway. I mostly scroll 1/2 to 3/4 hardwood, of all kinds. The biggest blade I use is an Olsen 5R. I also use a 2R on hardwood, but they dull really fast at that thickness.
          Mark Abbett
          DW788

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
            Reply to Shrink wrap systems
            by Linda In Phoenix
            I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
            Yesterday, 10:01 PM
          • will8989
            Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
            by will8989
            Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
            Yesterday, 09:53 PM
          • will8989
            Reply to Shrink wrap systems
            by will8989
            Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
            Yesterday, 09:49 PM
          • will8989
            Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
            by will8989
            He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
            Yesterday, 09:32 PM
          • will8989
            Reply to Sundays market
            by will8989
            We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
            Yesterday, 08:56 PM
          Working...
          X