What saw to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What saw to buy

hi all still not got a scroll saw yet not sure what make or model to get i know this may sound daft to you but what is the difference between a scroll saw and a fret saw?

I am not sure what models of scroll saw are available in your area so I can not make a recommendation. There are a number of UK folk on here that may be able to help. In my opinion a fret saw, like a coping sawis a hand held saw used for cutting intricate designs. Seen here Handsaws - OLSON DEEP REACH FRET SAW. While a scroll saw is a stationary saw, normally mechanically powered which does basically the same job but faster with more control. Seen here scroll saw - Bing Images.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Comment

Tom, you said it all with those sites. Hammer, you will have to search & hope to find something in your area. Don't know what sort of Scrolling you want to do, but, I would suggest, you spend as much as you can, to get a good one for your scrolling. Maybe someone in your area can make a suggestion. Good Luck
      PERK

Comment

Comment

Hi. I am also in the UK and I feel for you as you don't really have a lot of choice despite there being many scroll saws on the market. many of the saws you will se on different sites are in fact one and the same saw, just different colours etc. Most are imported from China and Taiwan some are a little better than others but most are not very good and most owners are beset with problems of varying degrees, if it is not the blade clamps at fault it is the bad vibration. The excalibur saws that come into the Uk are little better despite their very high price, they seem fine initially but most end up going back to the importer as the materials used in their construction are not very good. I had an excalibur and it lasted a few months.

At the end of the day it all depends on what you want to make and how often you are going to use it, some of the imported machines may well suit what you want to get out of it. For me personally there is only one saw that can stand up to the use I will demand from it and that is a Hegner that I will order in a couple of weeks. I work full time at the scroll saw and earn my living from it and the Hegner is the last decent scroll saw you will see. They are expensive but as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Comment

thanks Frenot - Best of luck with the HEGNER saw - Will you make a welsh love spoon with it ? You are right about the advice ,Getting the best for your money pot ! SAM

Comment

So far I am very happy with my Excaliber EX-21.
              Bob making sawdust in SW Louisiana
              with a EX-21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X